Cadillac Owners Forum banner

progress on the '69 - and a question

631 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lochenjons 
#1 ·
just thought i'd let everyone know what i've been doing today. besides "studying" for a midterm.....

well having taken out my busted 472 and sticking in a '75 500 to my 69 coupe deville... i realized theres a lot of crap on that engine that i don't need. such as the giant AC compressor. so i looked at my 472 and saw that it had the exact same belt that went from the bottom pulley just to power steering. what a great switch! so having taking all the belts off and actually breaking the AC/power steering belt in half, i realized something. the bottom pulley that gives the power steering pump and the ac is actually bigger on the 8.2 liter than on the 472 so this means the belt that i had on the 472 is actually too small by just a tad. no big problem i figured, i'll just switch out the bottom pulley. put the new one on and the length is fine. but here enlies the problem:

question for all of you caddy guys: what is the thing with the pulley wheel thats right below the alternator? it has a hose thats attatched to the valve cover i think... is this the smog pump and can i just take it off and be fine with it? or do i actually need this. because while the length of the pulley from the bottom to the PS pump is fine, it is not fine for the pulley below the alt. it's too big. can anyone help me

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.