: "Germans In Quality Crisis"

Ralph
05-25-04, 02:13 AM
scroll down half way, good article, sorry Ian. :devil:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7162&sid=173&n=156

RBraczyk
05-25-04, 01:24 PM
All the german cars have electrical problems.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-25-04, 02:25 PM
could be worse kids ..the wires could have "LUCAS" printed on them ....makes working on old brittish cars more interesting

esp when they are reversed polarity MGB's , always have to remeber red is ground and black is positive . They reversed polairty to combat rust problems , didnt work , woulda made my life easier if they just got beatter steel

Vesicant
05-25-04, 02:40 PM
If you expect high quallity, then dont outsource.

Exec's at BMW, Mercedes and Porsche made a big mistake...

If you make the product in a country that continually exports crap for quallity, then what do you expect? Its not going to change... even with different management. Its a curse!

Bratislava, Slovakia!?!? Eeep... :bighead: lol.

Plus with the advent of so many new models from each company so quicky, theres going to be more problems... first year models never do well.

1toycad
05-25-04, 05:13 PM
All the german cars have electrical problems.
That's not true. :tisk:

I have owned four Mercedes (currently own only two) and not a single one of them has had electrical problems. Not a single glitch :coolgleam

I cannot, however, speak for Audi, BMW and Porsche. :rolleyes:

Pimpin_Whity
05-25-04, 06:41 PM

I have owned four Mercedes (currently own only two) and not a single one of them has had electrical problems. Not a single glitch :coolgleam

I cannot, however, speak for Audi, BMW and Porsche. :rolleyes:I assume the article is about newer models then the ones you probably own (i think that a 1991 420SEL doesn't have as much electronics as a 2003 S500, but i could be wrong), and you might be lucky.

Msilva954
05-25-04, 08:03 PM
Our 2001 325ci convert is always in the shop for some type of weird electronics problem...from the lights always burning out to the radio preset stations selecting random stations to the trunk lid latch going crazy at times. We even have a once in a blue moon occurance of the passenger door not opening....sucks when I (6'5") have to squeeze to the drivers side.

Oh yea, and she (Mom) is thinkin of a new 300C next, as those so called great european cars keep rising and rising in price.

Ralph
05-26-04, 02:13 AM
Oh yea, and she (Mom) is thinkin of a new 300C next, as those so called great european cars keep rising and rising in price.

Your Mom has class. ;) Mind you, with the 300, I would personally wait until the second year of production just in case there are some bugs or recalls. Ya never know.

Jesda
05-26-04, 06:09 AM
I dont mind MB putting suspension parts and steering components into Chrysler cars, but I draw the line at electronics. A friend of mine was about to trade in his SL500 for a 300C, when one of the main computers took a dump on him. $3300 part.

Chrysler electronics are also tremendously easier to troubleshoot. Everything is centralized. There's no need to waste diagnostic hours chasing a gremlin all over the vehicle.

Msilva954
05-26-04, 07:56 AM
I just drove a 300C yesterday, and all I can say is OMG. If you havent yet drove a topped out one go out and do it. My fathers friend bought one and ill tell you if it was up to me the BMW would be in the local Chryslers used car lot by the end of the day, the interior in that car is sooooo much nicer then I could have imagined and the leather is almost of the same quality that BMW uses in the M3, I think they call it Napa. Let me drive it around that block and that thing has got so much power yet feels so solid.

She would buy one that is like 6 months-a 1 year old just to loose some of that american resale value.

RBraczyk
05-26-04, 08:22 AM

I agree. Audi's have tons of problems. Plus the dreaded 900 dollar windshield. My dad's 91 100 quattro ended up going through 2 computers and had to be rewired hundreds of times. Volkswagen is no better though. BMW's are nice but same problems and porsche, who just put a bunch of wiring right next to the wheel on the Cayenne which would easily start a fire.

Ralph
05-26-04, 06:48 PM
Uh Oh, more trouble! :canttalk:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7164&sid=173&n=156

Ralph
05-28-04, 03:10 AM

Would you buy a NEW Mercedes, and feel confident about the quality? Do you know anyone who has a newer one and no problems? :p