: Oldsmobile Is Back (but...)

Lord Cadillac
04-01-08, 01:11 PM
Nearly four years to the day that the final Oldsmobile rolled off the assembly line in Lansing, Michigan, comes word that Oldsmobile is back. More startling than the announcement itself is its origin -- not from Lansing, not from Detroit, not from Michigan, not even from anywhere in North America.

A statement from Tokyo, of all places, reports that Toyota has secured rights to the Oldsmobile name. Asked for comment, GM is remaining extremely tight-lipped on the issue at the moment while presumably trying to sort out internally what oversight allowed this to happen -- and who to can for it.

A Most Egregious Oversight
Toyota officials have stated that GM's copyright/trademark on the Oldsmobile brand name expired midway through 2006. In the midst of the constant corporate shuffling underway in the domestic automotive juggernaut, somehow responsibility for renewal slipped through the cracks and the name floated around untethered for almost a year before someone at Toyota noticed. The unsubstantiated -- at this point -- story is that the alert came from the astute nephew of a still-confidential executive, who works as a clerk in the U.S. Copyright Office.

The Toyota exec saw an opportunity, and the rights to the name were scooped up by Toyota for a nominal re-filing fee -- just $5000. As Toyota pushes upmarket -- the Avalon and Highlander can both reach above $40,000, while a loaded Sequoia can eclipse $60,000 -- the question has been raised repeatedly just how much the American public is willing to pay for a vehicle with the same badge as a $12,000 Yaris. Toyota took note of the rapid failure of the Volkswagen Phaeton and does not wish to find itself in the same situation.

According to Bob Carter, general manager of Toyota USA, Oldsmobile will fill the gap between Toyota and the company's luxury flagship brand, Lexus. "Oldsmobile is an established and respected luxury nameplate." Carter says, "We fully realize this acquisition is unconventional, but the opportunity to immediately acquire over 100 years' worth of brand recognition couldn't be missed.

Read more... (http://autos.aol.com/article/news/_a/oldsmobile-returns/20080331143109990001?AOLCOMMautodynlsec0004)

The Tony Show
04-01-08, 01:21 PM
"We fully realize this acquisition is unconventional, but the opportunity to immediately acquire over 100 years' worth of brand recognition couldn't be missed.

Just read the article- you got me. :lol:

AMGoff
04-01-08, 01:23 PM
You know... I'm really glad I clicked through and read that entire article... about halfway through, I looked up and realized it was April 1st... It was a good one indeed, I damn near bought into it!

Lord Cadillac
04-01-08, 01:30 PM
I saw it posted somewhere else.. It got me! I couldn't believe it! I was going nuts! :p

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-08, 01:36 PM
Oldsmobile's returning from the dead. Like that makes ANY sense! What's next? Packard? Essex? Hudson? Duesenberg? DeSoto? Valiant? Plymouth?

AMGoff
04-01-08, 01:43 PM
I wonder how much it would really cost to buy the Olds nameplate??

We could all chip in together and buy it... now that would be something... I could see the headlines now:

"Web-based Cadillac-nutter Group Buys Storied-Nameplate... 'Super-Custom-Cierra-Cutlauroravadaguero-88-98-442-Cruiser' To Be Released Shortly."

dkozloski
04-01-08, 01:47 PM
That dog didn't bite me twice.

AMGoff
04-01-08, 01:48 PM
Oldsmobile's returning from the dead. Like that makes ANY sense! What's next? Packard? Essex? Hudson? Duesenberg? DeSoto? Valiant? Plymouth?

No no no... didn't you see my post in Sal's other thread... I already bought Hudson - along with Nash... I bought them for 50 bucks, two Baconators, a pack of Bacon... and a night with a couple older gentlemen - which I really would not like to get into right now... :shhh:

But it was worth it... I think... I need a shower.

Florian
04-01-08, 03:07 PM
but, its now called Buick.

Jeez.....AFD is getting slow around here.

F

Submariner409
04-01-08, 04:26 PM
AMGoff......You stamp out the bodies, I'll build the engines. 455's only. I can supply the first three 442's.

orconn
04-01-08, 04:38 PM
I wondered why all the rejoicing a long "K" Street in DC! The GS rated attorneys now have their favorite ride back ...... don't they wish! Ofcourse, the private sector lawyers having shed their inhibitions about showing off their wealth would never retreat from their Mercedes and BMWs and once again support their professions traditional car of choice!

DopeStar 156
04-01-08, 04:52 PM
I don't trust anything written on this site until April 2nd.......

CadillacSTS42005
04-01-08, 08:28 PM
if this was true
i would of scratched the Aurora off of potential DD status for me...

CADDYBLACK99
04-01-08, 08:35 PM
Got me too Sal!

I loved all of my Oldsmobiles especially my first (68' 98LS) and last (96' LSS)!

joee5
04-01-08, 08:43 PM
LOL, you guys got me as well. April Fools. God Bless, Joe

ewill3rd
04-01-08, 09:54 PM
I believed it until someone mentioned the date.
hmmmm.

DILLIGAF
04-01-08, 10:17 PM
Hurry up 4-2-08

JimmyH
04-01-08, 10:41 PM
Funny thing is, I could see Toyota pulling a stunt like that. Not that it would work.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
04-02-08, 01:22 AM
Funny thing is, I could see Toyota pulling a stunt like that. Not that it would work.

I second that one. Stupid April Fool's day.

TexasCadillac
04-02-08, 01:49 AM
I wish Oldsmobile was back. I am still boggled as to why Oldsmobile went out of business before some other brands like Pontiac or Buick. A good used Olds is probably the best deal ya could get on a used car. I had a 68 Toronado with a 455 that shmoked the front tires to much I could not see out the window. LOL good times and youger then

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-02-08, 08:40 AM
I'd love a high compression big block Toronado. I drove a friend's grandpa's '78 Toronado Brougham (403 4bbl) once a few years back, and it was fairly powerful, but no tire smoking beast.

ewill3rd
04-02-08, 08:43 AM
See what happens when your parents lie to you about Santa and the Easter Bunny?
:lol:

JimmyH
04-02-08, 10:12 AM
ahh, my first car
http://cooleywire.com/jimmyh/pics/cars/Jimolds.jpg

TSS
04-02-08, 11:03 AM
Great one Sal! You got me too. I am in Lansing and the article made my stomach hurt until others pointed out it was a joke. Lansing has never really recovered, emotionally, from the demise of Oldmobile. This would have caused chaos!

Playdrv4me
04-02-08, 11:56 AM
Not only is it 4/2/08, I JUST heard this on Paul Harvey News this morning and it WASN'T prefaced as being any kind of April fools prank. Obviously either someone got them, or the story may not be entirely false (of course Toyota would never use Oldsmobile in the states again, but I could see it being a cash cow in China).

AMGoff
04-02-08, 02:10 PM
AMGoff......You stamp out the bodies, I'll build the engines. 455's only. I can supply the first three 442's.

Fantastic! I reckon Hurst shifters standard across the board?