: Tire Sensor Help

timored
04-01-08, 12:04 PM
Hello. I bought 24 rims but they do not have tire sensors in them. I was wondering if i can take them off my 18 inch Caddy stock wheels and put them on my 24's? I called the caddy parts department. The guy said he THINKS i can transfer from 18" to 24's. But i would like to see what you guys say because he THINKS. He doesnt know for sure. Thank you.

hcvone
04-01-08, 12:17 PM
No wheels come with sensors unless you request them, because they are all different, you stock sensors should work depending on the wheels, just take them off your stock wheels and install them on the new wheels. :)

timored
04-01-08, 12:20 PM
Thank you for the great help. What do you mean about depending on the wheels? Thank you.

hcvone
04-01-08, 02:09 PM
There are some wheels out there that are not pressure sensor friendly and you need to band them to the inside of the wheel, even if you need to do that most larger tire store have them or can get them pretty easy. :)

timored
04-01-08, 02:15 PM
Ok. Probably ill need the ones that band on the inside. Thats what 2 shops told me. But they said i need to get it at a Cadillac Dealer. Our dealer doesn't sell those though. One more question. Do people drive without the sensors? If yes, what happens? Is there going to be a beeping noise thats gonna remind that we don't have them? And is there a way i can disable it?

hcvone
04-01-08, 02:32 PM
I do not think there is anyway to program it out, unless with a Tech II Tool the dealership could, but with larger wheels and tires you want that warning, it can save you from having to buy a new wheel if you are loosing air and don't know it. You will have to hit the reset button each time you start the truck to get rid of the warning. I have seen them at several tires stores, it's a big stainless steel clamp, if I can find one I will post the link :)

timored
04-01-08, 02:36 PM
Thank you.

hcvone
04-01-08, 02:41 PM
Not sure of the size you need

http://www.wheelhq.com/tpms-bracket.html

timored
04-01-08, 05:36 PM
Thank you. Thats a lot of help. :)

Povich
04-01-08, 09:19 PM
Have 22's without sensors and truck does nothing to remind me of no sensors! Pretty sure if ur rims dont have them youll get no warning? I Have factories with sensors for winter that set off pressure sensor on truck because I cant get them to sync with truck again! Not sure but without sensors near truck dont believe Youll get the message?

DaveH28
04-01-08, 09:31 PM
It depends on what year escalade we are talking about here..

It seems like timored has an 07+ and povich I bet yours is an earlier model, probably an 03-04..

The 07s will give you a service tire monitor warning every time you start the truck if it does not detect the sensors. There is no way around it, and it can not be programmed out with the Tech II. It is built in to the truck, end of story. But it isn't a big deal, you'll have to acknowledge it every time you start the truck by pushing the "check" button, and that's it.

With the earlier models, a lot of times when you remove the wheels with the tire sensors the truck does not know the difference unless you try to put it into programming mode.. Sometimes it will set the light, sometimes it won't.. It seems like the 03s are a little better about it. This is due to the less complex TPMS system where you can not actually see the tire pressure from the dash but it will only alert you if one tire is too low or too high. The 05-06 had a better system because if you had a malfunctioning sensor it is more likely to recognize it and alert you to it. The 07+ are the best yet in accuracy and diagnostics..

Now as far as adding tire sensors to aftermarket wheels, it is not at all dependent on the sensor, it is on the wheel. I have found that when you modify a tire sensor and strap it inside the wheel instead of using it correctly as the valve stem, that it never works as well as when it is used as designed. Many people do this simply so they can not have to deal with the "service tire monitor" light. The newest GM tire sensors (late 07 & 08s) actually use rubber valve stems instead of those hard metal ones and you may be able to get those into your aftermarket wheels easier than using one of the metal ones..

Sorry for the novel, hope it helps

Povich
04-02-08, 12:14 AM
It depends on what year escalade we are talking about here..

It seems like timored has an 07+ and povich I bet yours is an earlier model, probably an 03-04..

Could be correct! Mine is an 04 just suspected that posted in 99-06 maybe his was older model also! 07 and up definately have more advanced tpms sys!:2thumbs: