: Converting a 4wd to a 2wd

tones_d_man
03-31-08, 05:39 PM
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if it is possible to get something to disengage the all wheel drive on my 2005 Escalade. There is a empty spot in the dash where the controls should be located (to the left of the Odometer) If there was wiring behind it and I got the switches would it simply disengage the all wheel or am I missing something on the transfer case ie. servo??
Yes I know "If you wanted better gas millage you should'nt of bought an Escalade." Please see the Silverado attachment 40819

HITMONEY
03-31-08, 07:39 PM
The short answer is "No", you cannot.

Here is some info...

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/your-ride-4wd-vs-awd-cga.htm

hcvone
04-01-08, 08:47 AM
Well of course anything is possible, but would be costly to do, in the long run it would probably be cheaper to sell your truck and buy a 2 wheel drive truck. :)

tones_d_man
04-01-08, 10:31 AM
I don’t see explaining what the differences of Awd, 4wd and 2wd has anything to do with what I am trying to achieve. Does anyone know what "costly" entails. That is my question.

ZaC851
04-01-08, 05:09 PM
probably going to have to change the rear differential from a 2wd escalade, tahoe, yukon etc, new rear output shaft from the tranny and new rear tail housing on the tranny. Its probably not gonna be cheap.

DaveH28
04-01-08, 10:48 PM
Actually the rear diff will probably be the only thing you won't need to change... There's no reason to change the rear diff.. there should be no difference between a 2WD rear end and a 4WD rear end, it is mounted the same way and has the same style pinion flange so it takes the same type of driveshaft..

Depending on what you're trying to achieve --

If you want to keep your truck as a 4WD instead of an AWD, you'll need a different transfer case, a different TCCM (transfer case control module) and possibly a different PCM (powertrain control module), TCM (transmission control module), or both. You also may need and EBTCM (electronic brake & traction control module).. Those might be able to be re-programmed with different software rather than replacing them but the TCCM is different. You'd also need to run all the wiring from the switch to the transfer case and the modules. That wiring to the switch does not exist on an escalade.

Now if you wanted to switch from AWD to 2WD, it's a major undertaking.

You'd need:
A different transmission extension housing and output shaft
A different rear driveshaft
2 different front hubs/bearings (not sure about the spindles/etc)
A different PCM
Possibly a new EBTCM
A damn good reason for doing a project like this :)

That's it off the top of my head, there's probably more :)

SQUIRREL MASTER
03-08-14, 10:11 PM
I know this is an older post, but I'm going to do a thread revival. Has anyone heard of this or have experience?

http://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalog/feeds/Cadillac/Escalade/Replacement/Transfer%20Case%20Switch/2002/REPG288301.html?dbpcid=productads

the cadillac man
03-08-14, 10:35 PM
I know this is an older post, but I'm going to do a thread revival. Has anyone heard of this or have experience? http://www.discountbodyparts.com/catalog/feeds/Cadillac/Escalade/Replacement/Transfer%20Case%20Switch/2002/REPG288301.html?dbpcid=productads

Way too much trouble as you have to get a different front axle and drive shaft for the rear axle plus the trucks PCM has to be reprogrammed for a 2wd

Silent_Assasin
03-08-14, 10:44 PM
LOL :wtf2: ....sorry but that sounds like one of the dumbest things you could possibly do! .....why not just go buy a 2wd truck? :duh:

SQUIRREL MASTER
03-08-14, 11:08 PM
Way too much trouble as you have to get a different front axle and drive shaft for the rear axle plus the trucks PCM has to be reprogrammed for a 2wd

Yeah, I couldn't find much info on it doing a brief search. I was under the impression that this couldn't possibly be plug and play, but again never owned an Escalade. Thanks for the helpful info.

LOL :wtf2: ....sorry but that sounds like one of the dumbest things you could possibly do! .....why not just go buy a 2wd truck? :duh:

I purchased mine for a great price after searching about 5 months for a 2wd. Had no luck, and decided to go for the bargain. It may be one of the dumbest things you could possible do, but was just inquiring for knowledge my man. I hope this helps my defense to your opinion, and answers your question. None the less, thanks for participating in the thread.

wesyder
03-09-14, 12:50 AM
Actually the rear diff will probably be the only thing you won't need to change... There's no reason to change the rear diff.. there should be no difference between a 2WD rear end and a 4WD rear end, it is mounted the same way and has the same style pinion flange so it takes the same type of driveshaft.. Depending on what you're trying to achieve -- If you want to keep your truck as a 4WD instead of an AWD, you'll need a different transfer case, a different TCCM (transfer case control module) and possibly a different PCM (powertrain control module), TCM (transmission control module), or both. You also may need and EBTCM (electronic brake & traction control module).. Those might be able to be re-programmed with different software rather than replacing them but the TCCM is different. You'd also need to run all the wiring from the switch to the transfer case and the modules. That wiring to the switch does not exist on an escalade. Now if you wanted to switch from AWD to 2WD, it's a major undertaking. You'd need: A different transmission extension housing and output shaft A different rear driveshaft 2 different front hubs/bearings (not sure about the spindles/etc) A different PCM Possibly a new EBTCM A damn good reason for doing a project like this :) That's it off the top of my head, there's probably more :)on the right track... Probably wont be that expensive considering the parts you remove someone else will need sooner or later, front diff transfer case etc.