: northstar in a monte carlo

foxhound720
03-31-08, 11:51 AM
Hello guys I am new to this site and I have a 95 northstar in my 95 monte carlo. I have a few minor issues to deal with before it is ready. It runs and drives great but I am not familiar with this drivetrain so I have a ton of questions for you guys. I hope you guys can help as much as you can because I will need it. Thanks. Pictures soon.

tateos
03-31-08, 01:03 PM
Yes - pictures!

CadillacSTS42005
03-31-08, 03:22 PM
welcome
kudos to you on the swap!

foxhound720
03-31-08, 05:51 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q293/foxhound720/computerandtrannycontrols.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q293/foxhound720/engine1.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q293/foxhound720/enginebay.jpg
- 1996 Cadillac Seville STS engine swap w/ 4T80-E transmission
- Cadillac Seville STS aluminum radiator
- Port and polished heads
- 3 angle valve/seat grind
- 272 reground cams
- New HP springs, retainers, seals
- Intake cam sprockets redrilled
- High strength 13:1 compression pistons
- Bored .030 over
- Custom FWI with K&N 9" cone
- Battery relocated to trunk
- ECM and curcuit board relocated to trunk
- Custom shift kit
- 2500 stall torque convertor
- Walbro 340 fuel pump
- MMS custom Flowmaster Outlaw race muffler side exit exhaust
- No cat or resonator

foxhound720
03-31-08, 06:20 PM
How come I put pictures up and text and it never said I posted ???

foxhound720
03-31-08, 06:24 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q293/foxhound720/th_engine1.jpg (http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q293/foxhound720/engine1.jpg)
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q293/foxhound720/th_enginebay.jpg (http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q293/foxhound720/enginebay.jpg)

foxhound720
03-31-08, 06:26 PM
Just click the thumbnails

1996 Cadillac Seville STS engine swap w/ 4T80-E transmission
- Cadillac Seville STS aluminum radiator
- Port and polished heads
- 3 angle valve/seat grind
- 272 reground cams
- New HP springs, retainers, seals
- Intake cam sprockets redrilled
- High strength 13:1 compression pistons
- Bored .030 over
- Custom FWI with K&N 9" cone
- Battery relocated to trunk
- ECM and curcuit board relocated to trunk
- Custom shift kit
- 2500 stall torque convertor
- Walbro 340 fuel pump
- MMS custom Flowmaster Outlaw race muffler side exit exhaust
- No cat or resonator

darien99
03-31-08, 06:38 PM
Nice, who did the motor work for you?

foxhound720
03-31-08, 10:12 PM
There is a speed shop in quakertown PA on route 309. I beleive it's called J & A. My friend is more familiar with my swap. But most of the stuff was purchased rom Cadillac hot rod fabrications.

kdsevillle
03-31-08, 10:15 PM
I've heard of them (Cadillac hot rod). I've heard they do great work.

foxhound720
03-31-08, 10:16 PM
There head and cam package I think was rated at 120hp.

CadillacSTS42005
03-31-08, 10:16 PM
where is that in PA
btw im located in Pittsburgh PA hbu?

darien99
03-31-08, 10:17 PM
There is a speed shop in quakertown PA on route 309. I beleive it's called J & A. My friend is more familiar with my swap. But most of the stuff was purchased rom Cadillac hot rod fabrications.
Nice
Coming up on 155K miles I've been keeping an eye out on somebody who would actually want to rebuild one of these motors. Nobody in this city will touch a northstar. How far did the machine shop say they could go with the bore? I see you went .030 with no problem.

Awesome swap BTW

darien99
03-31-08, 10:25 PM
oh, and is there a link to the caddy hot rod shop? :bouncy:

foxhound720
04-01-08, 12:33 PM
I Live in bushkill PA which is the border of PA NJ and near NY state. I call it three corners. The speed shop is near Philly. I never asked them how far can they bore. I wanted .030 over. I am not familiar with these engines but my friend in Philly who did this swap told me it's not worth it to go farther. I don't know how thin the cylinder walls would get so I didn't push it. It's about a 296 ci from the 281. It was 281 right ? hahaha Not sure. The fabricators link is http://www.chrfab.com/ Darien, I don't know where you live but with enough money any shop will touch it. You show cash, they work. This was about a year long project.

donwon
04-01-08, 01:25 PM
Did you have a doner car and use all the electricals including the computer?

Submariner409
04-01-08, 01:47 PM
:sneaky: If the overbore was +.030, it is good for about 3 c.i. on a base 280 c.i. engine, not 15. (A .060 overbore on an Olds 455 takes it to just under 468 c.i., so even +.060, which you cannot do on a N* due to liner thickness, wouldn't come within 10 c.i. of 296 c.i..) I don't think the physical setup of a N* allows for a stroke increase, the only other way to increase c.i.. Northstars come stock with a 3-angle valve/head setup.

That setup should be a real sleeper when you get the management systems set up correctly. Some other Monte Carlo is gonna get a surprise. Leave the outside as stock as possible.....

Pi = 3.1416, new bore = 3.691 (R = 1.8455), H (stroke) = 3.3071

(Do the math: cylinder volume = Pi x Rsquared x H ( x 8)) (3.1416 x 3.4058 x 3.3071 x 8 = 283.07 c.i.)

foxhound720
04-01-08, 03:40 PM
Submariner409, you are a very informative person and I thank you. I have it looking like a stock 95 z34. The only thing exterior is aftermarket headlights, HID bulbs, and a set of nice wheels. But when it runs you can hear that it's not stock. The exhaust comes out before the rear wheels. The only problem right now with the car is the radiator has a crack and something is wrong with my neutral safety switch. My reverse lights don't come on and the car starts in any gear.

donwon
04-01-08, 04:36 PM
On my 92 Deville that is a PNPS it also servs as the nuteral safety switch.Park Nuteral Position Sensor.
As a highly respected transmission expert told me it can cause problems with the transmission.
The Throttle position sensor can cause the car to shift slower if it is out of adjustment.
It may be lose on your car.
Either of these two could be causing your problem.
As Refrence call Advance Transmission Service in Mauldin, S.C. and ask for Malcom.
I am assuming the 4t80e is basicly the same as the 4t60e, just stronger.

foxhound720
04-01-08, 11:24 PM
I will look into that. I look at my nuetral safety switch and it looks like an entire harness is missing. There is one harness plugged in and going to the main engine harness bu there is a another plug, plugged in to the switch but no wires are coming out. Does anyone know what the other harness is ? Can anyone point me to a diagram or something ? Thanks.

lenny lincoln
04-02-08, 12:11 AM
The question is, Why all the effort for a front wheeled drive car? Yes I am impressed with all the work and ambition, But WHY?

donwon
04-02-08, 09:31 AM
Why not? If he has the money and enjoys it, that is all that matters.
I know it still puts a smile on my face when one of them ricers with
a tin can tailpipe pulls up next to me and does a burnout at the stoplight,
then catches up with me at the next stoplight wondering what just happened.

foxhound720
04-02-08, 12:13 PM
Lenny lincoln, I understand where you are coming from. I grew up with muscle cars and for being 24 years old I have owned a 68 chevelle, 70 monte carlo, 88 ss monte carlo 87 ls monte carlo and a 66 impala. Right now I own a 96 impala with a 383 stroker and a 78 malibu with a 468 roller motor ( just sold). I wanted something different, something unique. Something that some other car would not expect me to have, then I blow them away. It already happened with a few mustangs and corvettes.

I love being different and that is what my car has. Donwon thank you for understanding. By now I have heard all I have to hear about this car and my friend has heard more, He built it. Older gentlemen just ask and sit and scratch there head, then later on they appreciate the adjustibility I have via laptop. From light to light I can change the way my car will run. It's different that's WHY. I only came on this website for advice about my nuetral safety switch adn so far no one has answered me. Does anyone know ?

dwight.j.carter
04-02-08, 01:18 PM
That's pretty awesome that you where able to do that. If you don't mind me asking what does it cost to do something like that ?
I would have used a 2000 or newer northstar though.

darien99
04-02-08, 03:32 PM
The question is, Why all the effort for a front wheeled drive car? Yes I am impressed with all the work and ambition, But WHY?
So he can drive it in the snow? That's why I buy FWD cars... :cookoo:

foxhound720
04-02-08, 06:06 PM
hahaha funny. I wonder how bad this thing would be in the snow. I live in the poconos. Dwight, like I said I am not familiar with cadillacs and my friend had a 4.6 liter in high school and we loved that car. So I was partial to the motor. As far as price A little to much is all I have to say. Maybe I can pm you the price someday. I don't want lenny lincoln to make me feel small again. haha j/k

donwon
04-02-08, 06:30 PM
Foxhound720, At 62 I guess I am an older man, however that is just on the outside.

foxhound720
04-02-08, 07:14 PM
Donwon, in no way shape or form was I bashing odler men. My quote said "Older gentlemen just ask and sit and scratch there head, then later on they appreciate the adjustibility I have via laptop" I kind of like when older muscle guys give me a handshake and say good job. I would rather have built another old car with no power steering and a carbed small block. But the looks I get from this car is cool also.

So is there anyone here who can help me with my nuetral safety switch. I made a post about it. There are spots for two harnesses on it but I only have one plugged in. The other one is plugged in but there are no wires going to it. SO one goes from the switch to the engine harness but there is still a empty plug. Can anyone tell me where to find a diagram or tell me what it is ?

darien99
04-02-08, 10:40 PM
hahaha funny. I wonder how bad this thing would be in the snow. I live in the poconos. Dwight, like I said I am not familiar with cadillacs and my friend had a 4.6 liter in high school and we loved that car. So I was partial to the motor. As far as price A little to much is all I have to say. Maybe I can pm you the price someday. I don't want lenny lincoln to make me feel small again. haha j/k
I'm sure the monte would be better in the snow than it used to be. More weight on the front tires, more advanced traction control...:thumbsup: I was just taking a stab at the rwd lincolns. :halo:

donwon
04-03-08, 01:15 PM
I can't tell you where those other wires go.
I didn't take offense at your commit just letting you know that some older folks like that stuff also.

foxhound720
04-03-08, 03:58 PM
Ok thanks. Do you know where I can find some sort of diagram ? The chilton book has a picture of the switch without the wires. Also I was told that the new set-up was 12 lbs lighter then my new setup. The car lost 12 lbs on a drivetrain swap. This is what I was told. The 3.1 v6 was cast iron and the 4.6 is aluminum I think right ?