: Maggie Kicks Codes, Normal?

SuperV_Rob
03-31-08, 06:45 AM
All, I have searched the threads but have not found anyone complaining about their maggied "V" kicking the "Short term fuel trim lean" for both bank 1 and 2.

The tuner that came with the maggie was successfully installed which should compensate for the larger injectors? The Magnavolt should push the fuel delivery where it needs to be? As far as vacuum leaks go, there is no indication (rough idle, sucking noise, unexplained engine surges) that there is a leak? The real interesting point is that this code kicked under normal driving conditions an hour after and agressive acceleration was done.

Is this something to be concerned about or should I just drive it until the tuner gets a chance to tweak it?

I have a knock sensor low input for both bank 1 and 2 code that comes on under normal driving conditions at some point. Can this parameter be tweaked by a professional tuner (scheduled on Thursday)?

Thanks in advance,

Rob V.

91sonomast
03-31-08, 08:37 AM
make sure ALL bolts are tight in the intake system. we have been seeing alot of SRX's with north*'s (i know not the same thing)lately coming in with the intake manifold bolts less than finger tight. even if you cant HEAR the leak(which we never do and most of them are at cruising RPM's, and very light engine load), doesnt mean its not there, and plus with the sweet sounds that maggie makes, its going to be hard to hear a intake leak :D

StealthV
03-31-08, 09:00 AM
There's something physically wrong (not tune related) to trigger the knock sensor code and one cause would be pinched wires at the back of the engine between the block and manifold of the Maggie. And the simple things - Are the knock sensor connectors plugged into the harness?

For the fuel trim codes, it may be another wiring harness issue with the MAF/IAT harness modification. Or an air leak between the airbox, MAF and/or throttlebody. Is the throttlebody torqued down properly? Another thing to check is the throttlebody gasket as it is possible to put it on upside down.

With the lack of proper knock and fuel management, recommend fixing these two issues before flogging it again.

StealthV
03-31-08, 09:39 AM
More thoughts - For the fuel trims, check for a kinked fuel hose at the right rear of the engine. Also may want to pull the Maggie and verify the eight intake manifold port gaskets are all lined up.

Knock sensor - Are the nine (IIRC) big fat rubber O-rings installed on top of the engine valley cover?

It only takes 20 minutes to pull and reinstall a Maggie once you've done it a few times. ;)

SuperV_Rob
03-31-08, 10:49 AM
More thoughts - For the fuel trims, check for a kinked fuel hose at the right rear of the engine. Also may want to pull the Maggie and verify the eight intake manifold port gaskets are all lined up.

Knock sensor - Are the nine (IIRC) big fat rubber O-rings installed on top of the engine valley cover?

It only takes 20 minutes to pull and reinstall a Maggie once you've done it a few times. ;)

Rick,

I did indeed put the O-rings before I put the maggie in place. I agree that it is most likely a kink in the harness (with both of them showing the same issue), there was a kink in the wire when I pulled it but did not think that it was severe enough to replace, I am rethinking that position :( As far as the short term fuel trims go, this is going to take some digging, I am afraid.... But it sounds like you are thinking a vacuum leak or fuel supply?

Thanks,

Rob

SuperV_Rob
03-31-08, 11:20 AM
Did not find a fuel line pinch but there was a definite pinch in the evaporator line, could that contribute to the short term fuel trim issue in any way?

StealthV
03-31-08, 11:37 AM
Mentioned the O-rings because I forgot them. :crybaby:

On the EVAP - It's possible but I think unlikely to cause a problem with the trims. If there is/was a problem with the EVAP, it'll trigger its own codes.

With all the possible air leak points with a Maggie install compared to the simplicity of the fuel system, my money right now is on a vacuum leak. Remember fuel trims only do their thing in "normal" driving, not WOT.

Got a fuel pressure gauge? If so, check the fuel rail pressure, it should be 58-60 psi at idle.

P.S. On the fuel trims, slim odds would also say the Superchips tune may not have took in the PCM.

Good luck!

gauge hp
03-31-08, 05:06 PM
Both times that it happened to me, it was the intake tube came away from the bellows at the bottom I did not even notice it until a thorough inspection.

heavymetals
03-31-08, 05:09 PM
Air leak I bet.

The added torque sometimes will pull the connections apart at the maf or the throttle body (basically every joint!).

2004ctsv
03-31-08, 07:21 PM
It happened to me when I installed a few years ago.

Like a moron, I didn't plug the tee that I put in the vacuum line to the Magnavolt. I had put a tee in it for some future vacuum guage that I never used.

Same lean codes and rough idle.

SuperV_Rob
03-31-08, 08:28 PM
All, Here are the results of some tests attempting to find the short term fuel trim issue:

1) fuel pressure is 59 at the fuel rail while at idle
2) vacuum at the drivers side rear vacuum fitting (feeds the magnavolt) is 15 in
3) I sprayed lithium grease around the entire supercharger where it meets the block while at idle to see if there was any deviation in the idle. Which (idle) by the way is 100 times better than it was pre-maggie! One odd thing happens that I am not certain about when I let off the gas and coast the idle comes down to 1100 RPM until the second that the speedometer read 0 MPH and then it drops to 800? Is this normal for a maggie?

I drove over 100 miles today all types of driving and the only code that kicked was the knock sensor code. There was one instance of a possible short term fuel bank 1 but it never hit code status.

At this point, If there is a vacuum leak, it must be pretty tiny to go 100 miles without an actual code, correct?

Thanks Again to All!

Rob

It happened to me when I installed a few years ago.

Like a moron, I didn't plug the tee that I put in the vacuum line to the Magnavolt. I had put a tee in it for some future vacuum guage that I never used.

Same lean codes and rough idle.

heavymetals
03-31-08, 08:55 PM
Yes.

The PCM needs to see 0 mph for the idle to "kick in".

SuperV_Rob
04-01-08, 07:05 PM
All, My mistress Maggie (:shhh: don't tell the wife) is no longer the "bain of my existence"; this morning she received a new throttle body gasket, new manifold gaskets, every vacuum hose replaced, as well as a custom built 12 gauge wire based knock sensor harness. The moral of this story is thank you all for your input, based on that input the aforementioned was performed and the good news is "NO MORE CODES"!!! Did I forget to mention that I now am budgeting a new set of rear tires per month :xgrin: It is all good news thank to all of you! I appreciate you all!!!

rocketman
04-03-08, 09:18 AM
Hey dudes,

I'm kinda new to the forum. I'm thinking about a 'maggie' for my 04??

How much is it? And the dyno as well.

I live in Southern NJ (Cape May) is there dealers or installers in my area?

Do you buy the charger and then find someone to install & dyno?

Where did you guys get yours>>

Rocketman