: LS2=NASCAR engine

Albertan
03-30-08, 04:38 PM
All of us 2006 and 2007 owners have had to endure ridicule from 04/05 LS6 owners for our "truck engines". Just today I was looking for info on NASCAR engines. Guess what I found:The result is a collaboration with Carl Wegner of Wegner Automotive that produced NASCAR's new spec motor. Capable of producing 520 lb-ft of torque and 625 hp with a redline somewhere around 8,200 rpm, this engine is two years in the making and an interesting mixture of off-the-shelf OE components and race-specific parts. In developing the engine, Wegner used General Motors' LS2 engine as a foundation, using the block and heads and even keeping the major dimensions such as main and rod journal sizes, valve sizes, cam tunnel location and size, and even bore and stroke. This allows the block to be pulled directly off the assembly line, making it significantly cheaper than a properly prepared Bow Tie block.
This is from: http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/ctrp_0704_nascar_new_motor/index.html

So lets have a little respect from now on!

DILLIGAF
03-30-08, 04:45 PM
Grow yourself a Mullett,put in a big chew,crack open a Natural light and Celebrate!!!!!!!!!

urbanski
03-30-08, 05:01 PM
yee-hAW~!1

LUVMY04V
03-30-08, 05:03 PM
Let me get this straight ..... they using that engine in the trucks that pull the trailers for nascar?????

:duck:

Max-Q
03-30-08, 05:11 PM
Sooo, they took the truck motor, did $30,000 worth of work to it so it can power some rednecks around a track for 500 miles? Bravo :thumbsup:

jbss71
03-30-08, 05:34 PM
Sooo, they took the truck motor, did $30,000 worth of work to it so it can power some rednecks around a track for 500 miles? Bravo :thumbsup:well no the Camping world series dont run much over 100 miles a race

CTSV_Rob
03-30-08, 05:41 PM
Wow, you'd think we drive Fords.

Where's the love?

lilred
03-30-08, 05:42 PM
I think the 04 05 owners are just jealous of our superior torque! :stirpot:

Civardi
03-30-08, 05:52 PM
Sooo, they took the truck motor, did $30,000 worth of work to it so it can power some rednecks around a track for 500 miles? Bravo :thumbsup:

And it tuns left really good.

MauiV
03-30-08, 05:55 PM
The Neckcar Truck series is still alive?

jbss71
03-30-08, 06:17 PM
I think the 04 05 owners are just jealous of our superior torque! :stirpot:or maybe its the ls2 guy because the ls6 ran 3 seasons in ASA as a spec. engine

jbss71
03-30-08, 06:18 PM
The Neckcar Truck series is still alive?yeah nascar tends not to shut down the best racing they have

dkozloski
03-30-08, 06:23 PM
The current RO7 Chevy NASCAR motor is a purpose built race motor that has little in common with previous Chevy SB efforts and is not offered in any production vehicle. It more closely resembles a Ford than previous bowtie motors. They'll turn over 9000 RPM all day and produce approximately twice the horsepower of the sucky little motor in a V.

Albertan
03-30-08, 06:33 PM
You guys with the little ones...engines, that is are just jealous. I call it "engine envy".
I wish I could grow a "mullet", my problem is I have no hair on top...it becomes a "skullet!" and I would look like the mass murderer in British Columbia. So it is short hair for me.
And nobody get all serious here!

JD03Cobra
03-30-08, 06:47 PM
Wow, you'd think we drive Fords.

Where's the love?

Yeah no kidding...This is one argument i'm not use to.

MauiV
03-30-08, 06:52 PM
5% more Litres and no more power, hmmmmmmmmmm

DILLIGAF
03-30-08, 06:58 PM
Just giving you some shit dude,alls good.The article I read about the new Nascar engine was it was built from the ground up,which has never happened before.I think for it to be a race legal motor they have to sell it at their parts dept,which is why you can buy the parts.Those motors will never see a production car,unlike your motor that is used in mostly trucks and a few select cars.You can pull a bass boat and I can't,all good.

dkozloski
03-30-08, 07:05 PM
The RO7 motor came about as the result of the purpose built race motors that were allowed to Dodge and Toyota. Dodge resumed racing after a long hiatus with a motor that was a hodgepodge of parts borowed from Ford and Chevy until they could get their own engine program going. Toyota built a plant in California to build race motors that are also not available in any production vehicle. GM asked, if they can why can't we, so they were granted permission to build a unique race motor. Unless your business says Hendrick Motor Sports, RCR, or DEI on the door, it's highly unlikely that you've seen one up close. The parts are not available to the public. Some NASCAR owners are still using the older SB2 motors.

CTSV_Rob
03-30-08, 07:10 PM
5% more Litres and no more power, hmmmmmmmmmm
Better (Flatter) Torque curve stock... Now that's what I like.

peak numbers are all about bragging rights, Flat torque is :cluod9:

Too much fun.

CTSV_Rob
03-30-08, 07:11 PM
HEY! is there a guy with a Slushie making fun of our motors :hide:

Albertan
03-30-08, 08:05 PM
Hey Tony, I think you will be disappointed with 04/05 V owners. They won't be wanting to buy the 09V what with a stroked "truck motor" plus a blower that was originally on old GM 2 stroke diesel TRUCKS! Don't anyone get technical about blower designs either.
They seem to want to stay with their obsolete motor. Oh wait! You are one of them.

thebigjimsho
03-30-08, 08:32 PM
Hey Tony, I think you will be disappointed with 04/05 V owners. They won't be wanting to buy the 09V what with a stroked "truck motor" plus a blower that was originally on old GM 2 stroke diesel TRUCKS! Don't anyone get technical about blower designs either.
They seem to want to stay with their obsolete motor. Oh wait! You are one of them.Obsolete? Maybe. Rare? You bet. I don't mind buying truck motors and superchargers for diesels. Tis why I'm keeping my special '04 and getting a V2. Sorry about your insecurities...

jbss71
03-30-08, 08:54 PM
The RO7 motor came about as the result of the purpose built race motors that were allowed to Dodge and Toyota. Dodge resumed racing after a long hiatus with a motor that was a hodgepodge of parts borowed from Ford and Chevy until they could get their own engine program going. Toyota built a plant in California to build race motors that are also not available in any production vehicle. GM asked, if they can why can't we, so they were granted permission to build a unique race motor. Unless your business says Hendrick Motor Sports, RCR, or DEI on the door, it's highly unlikely that you've seen one up close. The parts are not available to the public. Some NASCAR owners are still using the older SB2 motors.lol i have seen a few r07's also my TRD nascar engines came from the same building as their indy car stuff not a 'new' building, and it was just the long blocks. TRD high point picked the heads and intakes to give to the teams

dkozloski
03-30-08, 09:50 PM
This is the touring series spec motor and not the Sprint Cup.

CTSV_Rob
03-30-08, 11:22 PM
Obsolete? Maybe. Rare? You bet. I don't mind buying truck motors and superchargers for diesels. Tis why I'm keeping my special '04 and getting a V2. Sorry about your insecurities...
Special olympics?

Time to climb off the horse, it's ONLY a motor. A bad ass one but come on, "preserving" it?? I'm glad I didn't get the LS6, some of you may get pissed when I mod it. LS6 = Luke warm (stock).... Now the LS7 :cloud9:

No replacement for displacement. The Engine to :worship: is the C5R stroked and sleeved for 427 Cubic inches of pure fun!!!

Bottom line is I love the LS motor and guess what we are part of the same family.

Climbing off my soap box and just want to be freinds. Oh yeah, we are all driving Cadillacs! Love the car!!!

thebigjimsho
03-31-08, 09:27 AM
Special olympics?

Time to climb off the horse, it's ONLY a motor. A bad ass one but come on, "preserving" it?? I'm glad I didn't get the LS6, some of you may get pissed when I mod it. LS6 = Luke warm (stock).... Now the LS7 :cloud9:

No replacement for displacement. The Engine to :worship: is the C5R stroked and sleeved for 427 Cubic inches of pure fun!!!

Bottom line is I love the LS motor and guess what we are part of the same family.

Climbing off my soap box and just want to be freinds. Oh yeah, we are all driving Cadillacs! Love the car!!!Sorry, Bobby. Yeah, I'm keeping my V for the long term. First year V series, exclusive motor, etc. It may never be a classic, but it'll surely be interesting in future years. Keep on truckin', Bobby!

jbss71
03-31-08, 10:07 AM
This is the touring series spec motor and not the Sprint Cup.you were to one talking about r07s :stirpot:

CTSV_Rob
03-31-08, 12:41 PM
Sorry, Bobby. Yeah, I'm keeping my V for the long term. First year V series, exclusive motor, etc. It may never be a classic, but it'll surely be interesting in future years. Keep on truckin', Bobby!
You got it, I will be haulin ass! :thumbsup:

PISNUOFF
03-31-08, 02:49 PM
I've been trying to stay out of this, but...... How come people are putting stock TRUCK intake and heads on (L76/L96)? (BTW, noone needs to explain it, I already know. I was just throwing that out there.) :hide:

CTSV_Rob
03-31-08, 04:13 PM
Realize your just playing but the L76 is a holden intake, not a truck intake :D

I do want the Truck motor heads though :thumbsup:

trukk
03-31-08, 05:35 PM
Does this mean that the LS2 was actually designed to be a carberated POS?

I beleive it :D

VIVA LA LS6!

--Chris

blow03ss
03-31-08, 07:26 PM
Why do the LS2 motors put down better numbers when treated to a cam and exhaust? I have had both now.

CTSV_Rob
03-31-08, 08:31 PM
Does this mean that the LS2 was actually designed to be a carberated POS?

I believe it :D

VIVA LA LS6!

--Chris
A carberated POS puts out higher numbers :stirpot:

(Corrected your spelling error :hide:)

trukk
04-01-08, 07:27 AM

I refuse to spend brain cycles on learning how to spell outdated junk.

-Chris

atdeneve
04-01-08, 11:46 AM

Carburetor

CTSV_Rob
04-01-08, 11:46 AM
:lol: lThe word Believe is outdated? Don't get it.

CTSV_Rob
04-01-08, 11:48 AM
I didn't correct the spelling on Carb......

atdeneve
04-01-08, 11:55 AM
I know. Since we were on the spelling bit and with the word being repeatedly mispelled in the quotes n all, I thought I'd be anal about it. Surry.

CTSV_Rob
04-01-08, 12:02 PM
Don't worry about it I was just having a little fun and I thought you were doing the same.

Fun to push Trukk, he always has some funny comebacks.

trukk
04-01-08, 01:46 PM
Don't worry about it I was just having a little fun and I thought you were doing the same.

Fun to push Trukk, he always has some funny comebacks.

LOL, I just assumed I munged up carbeuorated :D

i BEFORE e EXCEPT ANFTER c can kiss my azzz.

Finally, now that the writers strike is over, I no longer have cheap assistance to help make my posts funny, hence the fall off in humorous content. I angling for 'pathetic' now.

-Chris

atdeneve
04-01-08, 02:06 PM
Pathetic is good. That's the angle I work. :thumbsup: