: Head Gasket Failure Signs

joezaier56
03-30-08, 03:03 PM
I was curious if engine over heating after about a 1/2 hour of running is a sign of Head Gasket problem? This is without any signs of coolant in the oil or vice versa. Asking from a novice perspective and would appreciate some genuine knowledge in this area as I recently purchased a "97 SLS" with the engine overheating problem. Thanks.

Ranger
03-30-08, 08:27 PM
Signs of a failing head gasket are unexplained (no external leaks) coolant loss, rough idle at start up and overheating. You may not have all these signs initially. Overheating in itself could be caused by many things other than a head gasket. The Northstar will rarely put coolant in the oil.

Submariner409
03-31-08, 11:15 AM
Take a look at the water pump drive belt and tensioner on the driver's end of the front cam cover. Belt tight ? How many miles? Does the HVAC system blow hot air ? With the HVAC system set to AUTO, A/C on, does one cooling fan run in slow ?? There are 2 fan fuses and 2 relays in the box next to the washer fluid container. Diagram on the inside cover.

lukky4u
04-01-08, 08:36 PM
I beleive i am the newest member of the blown headgasket club. at first just seemed to lose coolant with no major signs of overheating. then about a thousand miles later consistantly losing coolant through the overfill purge line as well as reaching temps up to 240. I havent had a mechanic confirm yet, but i suspect this is the case. sad thing is i still owe 5G on this thing!!! its a 98 deville with 80K on it.

94cady4.6eldo
04-01-08, 09:03 PM
Sorry off the subject My car backfires from the exaust when i jump on it and then let off. its a northstar mufflers and a high flow cat .Can this hurt my car its very loud shotgun loud

94cady4.6eldo
04-01-08, 09:06 PM
Check ur cap it may be bad air pockets will trick ur sensor.long shot

Ranger
04-01-08, 09:12 PM
Sorry off the subject My car backfires from the exaust when i jump on it and then let off. its a northstar mufflers and a high flow cat .Can this hurt my car its very loud shotgun loud
Start a new thread rather than hijack this one.