: Supercharger or Turbo?

razl
03-29-08, 08:34 PM
So I'm brainstorming the idea of getting into some real performance mods as a long-term project. And, as you'll be able to tell from the questions, I know just about squat when it comes to the tech side of getting performance. But, I've been reading, reading, reading so I'm all ears for everyone's input here.

My big question is that when it comes to upgrading performance, everyone seems to agree that the supercharger route (usually the Maggie) is the way to go - but almost nobody even talks about the turbos. Why is that? Is it just because the Maggie is targeted at the V specifically and there isn't a V specific package out there (even though there are LS ones)? There was a thread just a couple of days ago asking about the APS twin turbo kit for the C6 that seemed to just die off without a lot of discussion.

I've seen a lot of threads that have said "just slap a Maggie on it and be done with it!" but I can't help but think I'd get an even bigger bang ofr the buck out of some twin turbos :bouncy: - am I missing something here or just naive?

I am seriously interested in everyone's input! I'm not dropping any dollars soon, but trying to get a gameplan together so I can figure out how the heck to afford it over the long haul :bonkers:

Appreciation in advance

Crawler
03-29-08, 09:22 PM
You pretty well hit the nail on the head as far as the lack of options go.

Not too many guys here are wanting to venture into the unknown.

I'm a turbo guy myself and chances are when my V nears the end of its warrantied life, I'll build a setup for it.
As you stated there are no "Manufacturer Kits" available for forced induction other than the Maggie. There is a Procharger kit out there (by Exotic) , but I've not heard of anybody having it shipped to them and installing it themselves.

Best of luck to you. If you are a seriuos about doing a turbo setup, then keep me in the loop. I'm up for doing a bit of legwork myself to figure it all out.
If I had access to a V to build the piping on, then it wouldn't be so bad. But, the only V that I have readily availible is my Daily Driver (11,500 miles put on it since mid december). So, I can't tear it down just yet.

~W~

AlmostAV
03-29-08, 09:54 PM
ls7 based 454 forged bottom end, big cam, 200 shot.

rand49er
03-30-08, 07:29 AM
It may have something to do with the lack of room to route the plumbing as much as anything ... exhaust, intake, intercooler. I'm sure it (turbo) can be done, just not easily. With no belt to drive it and only getting the wastegate set properly, darn thing doesn't require a lot of fuss. :thumbsup:

Same thing regarding plumbing applies with Procharger. Takes quite a bit to fit all that in there. Supercharger doesn't mount directly on the motor, but off to the side, and stuff has to get moved around.

Whereas slapping a maggie onto the motor requires a lot less monkeying around with the heat exchanger mounting and running hoses the worst thing, and that's not that bad.

Anyway, just my $0.02.

2004ctsv
03-30-08, 09:52 AM
Contact Chuck Mallett in Cleveland

Twin turbos kicking out +1000 hp if I recall from summer 04 trip

1QUICKV
03-30-08, 01:50 PM
What about Maggie/ Procharger/ supercharger or magnacharger

heavymetals
03-30-08, 02:38 PM
If you want a "long term " project, go against what's the norm.

Twin turbos is fairly rare.

The biggest hassle is the lack of room.

As it is, they shoehorned in the V8.

I am amazed the maggie fits without changing/modifing the hood. :thumbsup:

rand49er
03-30-08, 04:18 PM
... I am amazed the maggie fits without changing/modifing the hood. :thumbsup:I wondered why that flange on the TB had to be removed as part of the maggie install. Then, I routed a small hose up over the top. When I couldn't close the hood, I realized there was no clearance right there. :eek:

Luna.
03-30-08, 10:24 PM
For the '04-'07 V, I don't think there's any comparison---maggie is probably the way to go for the best bang for your buck (when it comes to forced induction).

Turbo (twin or otherwise) just doesn't make too much sense to me for the '04-'07 V. Without significant engine changes, I don't see how one could reasonably run too much more boost than the maggie is capable of & the gains to be achieved from turbos not eating as much power as a supercharger doesn't seem worth the cost/effort in my opinion, especially considering the "room" challenges (or lack thereof) that the V presents.

And if one was going to significantly modify the motor for higher boost gains, that opens a lot more opportunities for power adders/engine swaps.

1QUICKV
03-30-08, 10:51 PM
For the '04-'07 V, I don't think there's any comparison---maggie is probably the way to go for the best bang for your buck (when it comes to forced induction).

Turbo (twin or otherwise) just doesn't make too much sense to me for the '04-'07 V. Without significant engine changes, I don't see how one could reasonably run too much more boost than the maggie is capable of & the gains to be achieved from turbos not eating as much power as a supercharger doesn't seem worth the cost/effort in my opinion, especially considering the "room" challenges (or lack thereof) that the V presents.

And if one was going to significantly modify the motor for higher boost gains, that opens a lot more opportunities for power adders/engine swaps.

So you like the maggie over the magnacharger? why

heavymetals
03-30-08, 11:00 PM
maggie = magnacharger :thepan: