: transfer case

luvmylade
03-29-08, 04:32 PM
this is my first post so i hope one of you out there can help me out.
I decided to change my transfer case fluid today to full synthetic.with todays cost on fuel how can a person go wrong.my question is I drained 2.5 litres out but can only can get 1.5 litres back in before it seems to spu all over the floor.this meaning it should be full,is it possiable that the factory just overfilled it.any ideas greatly appreciated:cookoo:

hcvone
03-31-08, 08:17 AM
It is very possible that the factory overfilled it, or if your truck is used the first owner may have overfilled it. Thru the years I have purchased GM trucks and several came almost a quart low in either the front or rear diff, I always check all fluid leverls at the first oil change at 500-1000 miles for this reason, that would shorten the life big time of a diff.

luvmylade
03-31-08, 10:40 AM
thankyou for replying it just mind boggling like how do you overfill a transfer case.theres a drain and a fill cap,its going to spu out if full correct,does anyone know where the fluid capacities are for complete service.the owners manual stats what fluid but doesn't give complete details on capacities,its just piece of mind when it boils down to it.i am by the way working on 04 escalade esv awd,6.0

hcvone
03-31-08, 04:01 PM
Are you the original owner? I have seen people add fluid on a hill so the truck is not level, therefore the fluid level will be too low or too high, anything is possible. :(

luvmylade
03-31-08, 05:32 PM
no im not the original owner,i did do the change on flat ground,i managed to get my fat body under there.:histeric:the fluid nor the transfer case showed no signs of being changed.really dark brown with a bit of red,wheres a person to get a proper manual for this vechicle i havint seen one by hayes or anything in the part stores and looking on the net doesnt seem to give enough info.what model tranfer case did they use all i know is it is a borg warner

setes
04-01-08, 02:11 AM
I decided to change my transfer case fluid today to full synthetic.with todays cost on fuel how can a person go wrong.

It makes big difference ?
Anyone checked ?

hcvone
04-01-08, 07:41 AM
It's like changing any of the oils in your truck, it makes a difference if you notice it or not, the oil in your transfer case or front or rear diff is a very small amount of oil, it gets very hot, these oils need to be changed every 20k or so to keep the protection at it's best, when your oils break down so will you over time. :)

setes
04-01-08, 07:58 AM
It's like changing any of the oils in your truck, it makes a difference if you notice it or not, the oil in your transfer case or front or rear diff is a very small amount of oil, it gets very hot, these oils need to be changed every 20k or so to keep the protection at it's best, when your oils break down so will you over time. :)

Yes it's true, I just asked if synthetic oil in transfer case can make better fuel mileage ?

luvmylade
04-01-08, 09:38 AM
I did it for piece of mind,fuel mileage is always an added bonus,but even protection and cooler temps you can't go wrong.so know ill have to do the diffs now,who knows if those have ever been done,at least gm put synthetics in there,and that will leave the trans,I do know that has been done but not with synthetics but will see it done as well,the truck has 76000 miles on it,luv the truck so do not want to see it break due to stupid low cost maintence

hcvone
04-01-08, 10:26 AM
Yes it's true, I just asked if synthetic oil in transfer case can make better fuel mileage ?

Probably not, I am pretty sure the transfer case fluid sold by GM is synthetic, I remember because in 03' Amsoil did not have a grade of oil for the transfer case and I used GM spec oil. Synthetics would make more of a difference in the engine interms of adding fuel mileage. :)

Guyz1996deville
04-01-08, 01:20 PM
You guys always have great points. First and foremost if you are going to do the work on a 60,000 dollar truck you should have one tool to start out with. I belive that the factory service manual is key. If contains all of the service procedures and fluid recomendations. As far as the transfer case goes aren't you supost to take out your truck and do figure eights when you change your fluid to work it into all of the passages and what not. I could be wrong but threre is only one way to find out, look in the FSM:)

hcvone
04-01-08, 02:17 PM
That was the process for changing the rear fluid to get it on the clutches in the front and rear diffs. I always get the manuals for every car or truck I purchase, if you have to take apart one thing it pays for itself, and many times you can trouble shoot problems, my dealerships trusts me to the point if I need service I tell them what parts to order, they are there when I take the truck in, worked great for my 03', have not had either truck back for any warranty issues, well so far