: Changing Your Own Oil: Warning

Vdrenaline
03-29-08, 04:33 PM
I realize that most Escalade owners do not change their own oil but if you are contemplating doing so, read this post.

I just changed the oil in my 2007 Denali XL (same engine as the Escalade) and learned something the hard way.

For anyone doing this themselves, please note that the oil drain plug/bolt faces sideways, not down. Why does this matter?

Because once you unthread the oil plug, the oil shoots out sideways approx 12"-18", instead of straight down. So instead of the first quart of oil going into the collection pan, it went all over me and the floor of my garage.

Don't let this happen to you. Make certain that the oil collection pan is positioned so that when the oil shoots sideways the pan will catch it and not allow it to shoot out all over the place.

What is the best way to clean the residual motor oil off of the concrete?

FYI: I used Royal Purple synthetic oil because I read on another forum that Mobil One is now using a cheaper base element that is not true synthetic and is not as good. Amsoil and Royal Purple respectively are now the two best motor oils available.

bullishpip
03-29-08, 04:55 PM
Thx for the heads up Vdrenaline!

I wonder if there is a reflective element you temp attach to the side of the oil pan to deflect the stream of oil down into the collection unit instead of straight out?

How many quarts does the 6.2 take?

Palomar9
03-29-08, 06:20 PM
Yeah, it's like the oil is under pressure the way it shoots out of there. I use a wide plastic tub sitting up on a cardboard box close to the drain. Rarely lose more than a drop here and there. Refill is about 6 quarts if you change the filter. Drain the oil when it's warm - not hot, not cold. Check the drain plug magnet for excess metal and don't forget to put the plug back in - classic mistake! I've found that lacquer thinner does a good job of getting recent oil stains off the cement. Put out that cigarette first and just pour the thinner on the cement. Blot up with a rag.

bullishpip
03-30-08, 02:31 AM
Great idea! thanks for the info Palomar9

firetora
03-30-08, 09:21 PM
i usually use a shield in front of where it's going to "spit" so that if it hits the shield the next place for it is the pan.

hcvone
03-31-08, 09:49 AM
Red Line used the better base to make their products too. I change my oil but use a lift. :)

bigdaddy25403
05-01-08, 10:34 AM
How did the Royal Purple oil perform? Better than Mobile1?

hcvone
05-01-08, 11:23 AM
Royal Purple, Amsoil and Red Line all use a better starting base than Mobil 1, having said that unless you are racing Mobil 1 will more than likely give you more protection than you would need, and it's about half the price of the others. :)

GM-4-LIFE
05-01-08, 05:06 PM
Royal Purple, Amsoil and Red Line all use a better starting base than Mobil 1, having said that unless you are racing Mobil 1 will more than likely give you more protection than you would need, and it's about half the price of the others. :)

I agree! Mobil 1 is just fine for my daily driving uses. I just bought a bunch of the Mobil 1 0w30 from Wal-Mart. I figured the price will most likely go up along with everything else, so why not beat the price increase.

I also just found out that Wal-Mart NOW STOCKS Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters! They are $9.97 each and they stock a good amount of part numbers so you can pick up the oil and filter all in one place!

SG