: what does an exhaust/header leak sound like?

AlmostAV
03-28-08, 11:21 PM
Ive got an odd metalic sound in certain rpms zones. Im wondering what an exhaust leak sounds like on our cars, and also is there an easy and effective method to check for even the smallest leaks....

AlmostAV
03-29-08, 01:18 PM
noone?

v6stanger
03-29-08, 02:43 PM
usually a metallic sounding ticking noise if its by the headers

trukk
03-31-08, 05:19 PM
Best I can describe it is, > 4k rpms' at > 3/4th throttle, and it sounds like a 'flapping' noise, or almost like baseball card in the spokes of a BMX bike type sound. Some people describe it as a tick, but that just isn't quite right to me. To me ticking is more indicative of valve train or injector noise (or even flarked lifters), vs. a header leak (at least at higher RPM's)

-Chris

AlmostAV
03-31-08, 05:49 PM
seems like i need to take a video, with sound would anyone be able to tell me whether or not I have one?>

AlmostAV
03-31-08, 05:52 PM
oh and trukk, your PM Box is full.

trukk
03-31-08, 06:53 PM
oh and trukk, your PM Box is full.

LOL, I'll clean it out.

Thanks,

Chris

CTSV04
02-27-09, 09:59 PM
Chris,
Did you ever determine where the noise was coming from? I have the same noise and can't find the source.
Thanks,
Randy

The Tony Show
02-27-09, 10:05 PM
Best of luck- I chased the "flapping" noise under WOT and clutch-in for two years. After 3 sets of gaskets, fully welding the exhaust (except the header to cat connection) and smoke testing the exhaust, it was still there.

Characteristic top end engine noise amplified through the headers if you ask me.

CTSV04
02-27-09, 10:09 PM
Chris,
Did you ever determine where the noise was coming from? I have the same noise and can't find the source.
Thanks,
Randy

UnsafeAtAnySpd
02-27-09, 10:25 PM
I have ticking at idle. ?

trukk
03-02-09, 04:03 PM
Chris,
Thanks,
Randy

I swapped to OEM exhaust manifold gaskets and it got better.

Bottom line is headers are loud, and make all kinds of weird noises. It's part of the mod hell tax.

-Chris