: 97 eldo missfiring

SCOLE90
05-24-04, 09:31 AM
my eldo has the hickups while waiting at traffic lights, it seems to be missfiring while driving, its not a consistant missfire, its very randum, so its not like having one bad plug or wire, it seems to be jumping around, any ideas?

zonie77
05-24-04, 02:04 PM
ve you checked for Diagnostic Trouble Codes?

SCOLE90
05-24-04, 02:31 PM
actually the dealer told me, but i want another opinion. can i run a dianostic check by pushing certain buttons on the console?

hankk17
05-24-04, 05:15 PM
actually the dealer told me, but i want another opinion. can i run a dianostic check by pushing certain buttons on the console?
There have been lots of posts about this on the forum before, but here's the condensed version as I've seen it:

1) if you're going to work on the car yourself - be prepared and buy the shop manual from helm - www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com) this will save you a TON of headache trying to figure out stuff.

2) to run diagnostics on the car, hold down the warmer button and the off button at the same time. first it will test all the LEDs in your dash by lighting everything up at once. Then be prepared with a pen and paper to start writing the codes down as they flash by, but don't worry if you miss it - you can hit off to get out of diagnostics mode at any time and then re-start the sequence all over again by holding off and warmer together. here's a good reference list for the OBD II codes that you may see: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

3) search the forums for past posts regarding this. Look for threads regarding cleaning your throttle body, checking the Fuel Pressure Module, and changing your plugs/wires. These topics have been gone over quite a few times in the past here and you should be able to find what you need from past postings.

good luck! let us know what you find for the codes.

SCOLE90
05-25-04, 12:07 PM
my car doesnt have a warmer button, i have a temp button, do i hold it in the up position? wich would be the warmer position,

zonie77
05-25-04, 01:54 PM
yes

BeelzeBob
05-25-04, 03:00 PM
An intermittant ignition miss could cause what you describe. I would pull the plugs and inspect them. Look for fouling (that might indicate a leaking injector) or worn/wide gaps that would indicate a missing platinum pad on the ground or center electrode. Look for oil in the spark plug wells from a leaking cam cover seal. Sometimes a spark plug well will get oil in it but it usually doesn't cause a miss. Othertimes a spark plug well will get water in it if the spark plug boot umbrella doesn't seal very well. Water in the spark plug well will cause a miss.

Mist the spark plug wires and coil pack with water from a spray bottle at night in a dark area with the engine idling and watch for arcs and sparks...there really shouldn't be any.

Remove each spark plug wire one at a time and inspect the terminals up inside the boots at each end carefully to make sure they are there (they pull off sometimes and are thrown away with the old plug that they are stuck to....) and that they are crimped correctly with the center core of the spark plug wire visible. Run a continuity check on each wire and measure the resistence of the wire with a VOM. IF a wire is broken internally or arcing back up inside the wire at the terminal it will show up with a resistence check.

My guess is you will find the problems like this.

SCOLE90
05-28-04, 09:08 AM
to run diagnostics on the car, hold down the warmer button and the off button at the same time.

do i run this test with the engine running?

SCOLE90
06-01-04, 12:46 PM
all done! i fixed it myself, i got the acdelco wires at tagg's auto parts in glassboro nj for 103 dollars, it took two hours, the car runs great now, its amazing how much power was lost through the old wires. i saved about 400 dollars by doing the job myself.

eldorado1
06-01-04, 02:33 PM
all done! i fixed it myself, i got the acdelco wires at tagg's auto parts in glassboro nj for 103 dollars, it took two hours, the car runs great now, its amazing how much power was lost through the old wires. i saved about 400 dollars by doing the job myself.
Holy jeez! Are all the wires that pricey?

SCOLE90
06-02-04, 08:27 AM
oh yes, the list price is 190, the dealer wants 150, i think i got a good deal.