: Mystery Coolant Leak

jayscav
03-28-08, 07:03 PM
PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I am having major issues with my 98 catera leaking coolant. Recently, my mechanic has replaced HCV and Aux water pump which was cracked. He got everything back together, than noticed the car was still leaking coolant toward back of the engine near firewall...But he cant see where it is coming from. It is coming from the back of the engine, off the exhaust manifold.... Any suggestions?????:mad: All Hoses have been checked and are good....Leaks with radiator drained and no pressure in system...... It is somewhere where the head meets the Engine Block.....HELP!!!!!!!

todd2fst4u
03-29-08, 12:28 AM
sounds like the heater control valve but you said you just had it replaced. i would have it looked at again. maybe the connections just aren't tight?

frank moran
03-29-08, 09:16 AM
There is a coolant bridge under the intake and there is a steel pipe dead center in the back of the engine that has coolant, it is sealed with a large O ring. Take a look at the recent pictures posted by sp Srinne? regarding his engine removal, he has some photos of the coolent bridge and the seals.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I am having major issues with my 98 catera leaking coolant. Recently, my mechanic has replaced HCV and Aux water pump which was cracked. He got everything back together, than noticed the car was still leaking coolant toward back of the engine near firewall...But he cant see where it is coming from. It is coming from the back of the engine, off the exhaust manifold.... Any suggestions?????:mad: All Hoses have been checked and are good....Leaks with radiator drained and no pressure in system...... It is somewhere where the head meets the Engine Block.....HELP!!!!!!!

jayscav
03-29-08, 01:36 PM
Thanks Todd/frank for the responses. I have forwarded on to my mechanic...I dont think he will ever work on another catera again....He is at an absolute loss and has the car completely apart once again....Any other tips or suggestions would be helpful while it is apart.....It has been over a week now, running out of money.. Very frustrating....Just hope he can find it asap....

frank moran
03-31-08, 11:02 AM
Put some dye in it, pressure up the radiator and let it sit over night, check it the next morning with a black light. That will get you close, rather then taking it apart....?

.OTE=jayscav;1464336]Thanks Todd/frank for the responses. I have forwarded on to my mechanic...I dont think he will ever work on another catera again....He is at an absolute loss and has the car completely apart once again....Any other tips or suggestions would be helpful while it is apart.....It has been over a week now, running out of money.. Very frustrating....Just hope he can find it asap....[/QUOTE]

jayscav
04-02-08, 12:46 AM
Update:
Mechanic said he checked the steel pipe and O Rings and nothing from them..Checked the Oil Cooler and that was all dry as well. He said he can see dripping from underneath the car, but when he looks down thru engine he loses the leak. HE said the heat gaurd?? is in his way...Dont quote me on that...But he will remove it tomorrow and should be able to see the leak down thru the engine after he takes it off.....Please dont tell me it is a head gasket? Any more thoughts? Could it be?

livebait
04-04-08, 07:24 AM
I am sitting in the exact same position, with my Catera. I have removed the Intakes, and there are no visible leaks in the V or from the coolant pipe O-Ring. I am sitting at the same position of next trying to remove the heat shield to see. I hope it is not the head gasket either but what else is in there. Could there be a Frost plug? Any Idea's would be greatly appreciatted. As i dont think that heat shield is going to be an easy job

callingmonroe
04-04-08, 07:40 AM
If you take all this off he should went after the head gasket while all the work was being done. My wife had a neon and twice the gasket blew due to manufacture gasket, of course this was not covered in warranty.

livebait
04-04-08, 01:57 PM
Is it possible for the head gasket to be leaking coolant? There is a steady leak near the manifold but cant see where? Would the head gaskety leak out?

jayscav
04-05-08, 01:24 PM
Yup. It was the head gasket..Blown... Unreal. Next is to see if it is warped and can be resealed...My Luck with this car has been awful....Or maybe it is just the car itself that is awful..

livebait
04-08-08, 08:08 AM
Well i just want to update everyone about these leaks,
The problem is a mystery leak that appears from the driver's side rear engine area, the manifold area. Well if you have read all the above you will see a good guidline to follow.

First look at the Heat Control Valve, the Water Coolant return pipe, the Water crossover, the oil heat exchanger cover, Thermostat or any other possible spot.

Is there still a leak, well you can almost guarantee its the Head Gasket. Does it still leak there when the coolant is drained. Then it is the head gasket.

We here have found that it does not take that much longer to change the head gasket if you have gone as far as removing the water return pipe from the back of the engine.

Remember it is still not an easy job but really not to complicated as long as you have room to put all your parts that you need to remove in order. One step at a time.

I have developed a complete step by step guide to removal of the head gasket and how to discover that mystery leak on the way in. You should be prepared to change the head gasket if it is the fault when starting this guide. You may be surprised how simple the repair is and if you look around you will be able to get the required parts at a reasonable price.

If you need assistance or would like my guide i can send it to you just ask

Lewis Rolen
03-22-11, 07:45 PM
I cannot find the leak in back of my catera,I have looked under and from top and can't see anything, leaks out as quick as you put it in.same as described by others, can't be a head gasket, it's coming out to fast