: New V Owner

jerkislandboi
03-28-08, 06:24 PM
Hey V Guys

I am a new V owner and just recently joined the forum. I have a 2005 V that I purchased used from Texas Speed. I am in the market for some new tires that would work for the Track and the street. Any Advice? Also I am looking to install a Cold Air intake and also wanted to replace the plastic intake tube leading into the throttle body. I would like to get some suggestions on that too.

Thanks
Tray

thebigjimsho
03-28-08, 06:37 PM
Welcome! For the track, I'd say RE01-R or PS2. You can do Falken RT615 but they get greasy pretty quickly on the track. There are few other tires that will not get greasy or have the sidewall stiffness you need for track duty, nevermind street duty.

As for CAI, most of those for the V seem to be inconsequential. For the plastic tube, there is no vendor that I know of that makes anything. StealthV used to a long time ago. There is a part sheet somewhere that let's you build your own, I believe.

type911
03-28-08, 06:46 PM
Welcome. Where are the pics?

Venomous-V
03-28-08, 07:04 PM
love my rt615's for the price($160 a piece)

thebigjimsho
03-28-08, 07:23 PM
love my rt615's for the price($160 a piece)And they will be fine on short track sessions. See trukk about his experiences...

RoadKill
03-28-08, 11:41 PM
:thumbsup:hello and welcome

JD03Cobra
03-29-08, 12:40 AM
As for CAI, most of those for the V seem to be inconsequential. For the plastic tube, there is no vendor that I know of that makes anything. StealthV used to a long time ago. There is a part sheet somewhere that let's you build your own, I believe.

So are you saying the cost of a CAI is basically worthless? I've been wondering myself about getting one of these.

oh and welcome..i 2nd the pictures.

thebigjimsho
03-29-08, 02:07 AM
So are you saying the cost of a CAI is basically worthless? I've been wondering myself about getting one of these.

oh and welcome..i 2nd the pictures.I think it's been widely supported here that they don't really give you anything. You do get added intake sound.

CaddiLackin
03-29-08, 02:53 AM
I had Nitto 555r drag radials on my firehawk, and I must say they were great tires. Cheap too if I remember (i should, after all i bought 3 sets) 160-170$ each???

jerkislandboi
04-09-08, 08:10 AM
Thank all of you for the welcome and the advice on the tires and CAI. I will be posting some pictures soon.

Peace

lollygagger8
04-09-08, 11:51 AM
The stock intake tube draws air almost as efficient as the Corvette Z06 intake tube....so no reason to change that. I think K&N makes a different inlet tube with their kit if you are bent on getting a different one. CAI's definitely help, I have the one made by Lingenfelter and it's awesome. I noticed a slight difference in throttle response in the higher rpms. How can making the engine breathe better NOT help you?

trukk
04-09-08, 12:37 PM
And they will be fine on short track sessions. See trukk about his experiences...

LOL, FYI Jim, you know the OP. He was at VIR with us in June. At that time he had the Blue VW Golf with the bus-sized turbo on it. Tracy works with Ron and myself as a contractor for the same Navy command. I talked him into buying a V :D.

BTW, he's being modest about his ride. It has an LS3 in it with warmed over L92's, and a stealth cam. It sounds absoltuely stock, but is putting out about 50 more rwhp than my modded V at the moment. (I hope to rectify that with my cam install though :sneaky:)

Tracy will be at summit in may with his car, along with Ron in his BMW.

I think it's been widely supported here that they don't really give you anything. You do get added intake sound.

The more you mod the car, the more you need an open intake tract. The squeeze tube is the biggest issue if the tract. Swapping out to an LPE CAI, smooth intake tube, and ported TB definately made a difference on my car.

Now I'm off to drop my car off at my tuner for the cam install.

-Chris

thebigjimsho
04-09-08, 08:58 PM
LOL, FYI Jim, you know the OP. He was at VIR with us in June. At that time he had the Blue VW Golf with the bus-sized turbo on it. Tracy works with Ron and myself as a contractor for the same Navy command. I talked him into buying a V :D.

BTW, he's being modest about his ride. It has an LS3 in it with warmed over L92's, and a stealth cam. It sounds absoltuely stock, but is putting out about 50 more rwhp than my modded V at the moment. (I hope to rectify that with my cam install though :sneaky:)

Tracy will be at summit in may with his car, along with Ron in his BMW.

The more you mod the car, the more you need an open intake tract. The squeeze tube is the biggest issue if the tract. Swapping out to an LPE CAI, smooth intake tube, and ported TB definately made a difference on my car.

Now I'm off to drop my car off at my tuner for the cam install.

-ChrisAwesome! Great to have Tracy aboard. FYI, I ended up getting the Eclipse 6610 for my Town Car...