: Factory Radio Upgrade

ugzruben
03-28-08, 04:23 PM
I have an 03 Escalade with a Stock Factory Radio with cd and cassette. I was wondering if I were to buy a 06 GM Factory Navigation System if it would work.

I did look at the back of the 06 Nav and noticed that there is 1 more input (I assume its for the gps antenna)

Just wanted to get some feedback on how I would upgrade it. Do i have to wire the GPS antenna?

Thanks for your help.

DaveH28
03-28-08, 10:55 PM
It should indeed work as long as you have the factory option (RPO) for the luxury bose audio system.. I think most if not all escalades 04+ have it.. since yours is an 03 you may want to double check.. If memory serves me I think it is RPO Y92 or something close to that. You can find it on your service label in the glove box or by asking a dealer to check your VIN #..

As long as you have that luxury option a Nav radio 03-04 should work in your truck as a plug & play install. I am not 100% sure about the 05-06 radio because it is different but I am pretty sure it will work the same way... And yes the additional input is for the GPS antenna, and yes you will have to buy one and install it in the dash and wire it in. The truck is not pre-wired for it.

You also need to remember that when you put the radio in your truck it will be "locked" in a theft mode since the vin wont match. You will only be able to get your vin programmed into the radio at the dealer... otherwise it will be useless..

I did this swap in my 04 and it went perfectly.. But I used an 04 Nav radio in an 04 truck...

ugzruben
04-04-08, 10:59 PM
Thank you!!

hueterm
04-04-08, 11:26 PM
The touch screen nav works in my 2004 -- the dealer replaced my old 2004/joystick nav w/it after having to replace it twice.

ugzruben
04-06-08, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I just received the gps antenna that was not included in my vehicle.

I noticed the cable is really short and was wondering if anyone knew if there was a specific place in dash/bin where i can secure it.

I assume the gps signal goes through the dashboard.

here is what the antenna looks like from the ebay auction

Thanks again for the help.

DaveH28
04-12-08, 09:25 PM
yes it mounts behind the dash just to the right of the radio.. if you want to install it the right way it requires removing the upper dash pad..

but that's really not necessary.. when i installed mine I just secured it to the same area behind the dash (to your right when you're looking at the dash) -- i think i used 2 sided tape.. no issues and it's been over a year.. GPS works great!