: does water polishing work?????

WhipLock
05-24-04, 12:22 AM
I was watching spike tv last week and they were removing all minor scratches (that buffing wont take out) with a wet pice of 2000 grit sand paper. They would soak the sand paper in water and use a sponge to put more water on the area being worked on. --Has anybody ever tryed this??

elwesso
05-29-04, 10:54 AM
Youd have to be very careful with wetsanding. It can work but you must be so terribly careful.....

I recommend getting the scratches professionally fixed, its not too terribly expensive.

RBraczyk
05-29-04, 02:27 PM
Stacey david is a pro at that stuff. If you do it carefully and you use all the compounds and do it well and take your time, it should come out nice.

Msilva954
05-30-04, 08:12 AM
He did a really nice job on that green explorer...but I dont know if I would trust myself doing it...I will be doing it on small chips that I fill up but thats it...for you if your doing big spots get an estimate from a shop.

hcvone
05-30-04, 09:08 AM
I have wetsanded before, it takes a very long time to do the job right, and you can cause a lot of damage if you never have done this before.

Subguy
05-30-04, 09:55 AM
I have also done it and I would have to agree.....be careful......I was curious about the depth of the scratches the guy on tv was working on....

RBraczyk
05-30-04, 12:00 PM
Those were a mix of both.

Subguy
05-30-04, 05:11 PM
I have done alot of wet sanding..........and the items listed would be the items used.....I have a friend with a Lincoln Mark viii he had just purchased. It was a wacky Amethyst Topaz Mist color??????????Looks like someone had set a briefcase on it multiple times.....the scratches were deep and I told him it was questionable. I was scared to remove clear coat. I told him to take it to a body and just ask them if they think wet sanding would work.....he said the body man shrugged. It really has to be a careful,slow process. It just depends on whether you can live with the scratches. :hmm: