: GM service manual dvd

jvegas08
03-28-08, 09:34 AM
wondering if any of you guys use / have the GM service information dvd...i have the program but am having trouble running it on my computer...ive installed it, but when i ever i click on the icon it says this:

"The SI Stand-alone application has been installed. You must install the SI Stand-alone data before using the SI Stand-alone application"

is there another disk that is supposed to accompany this program? thanks

Ur7x
03-28-08, 10:49 AM
There are usually 2
a CD and a DVD

You need to copy the contents of the DVD to a "temp" directory" and then run the "update" program from there.
This populates the database

BTW The install takes well over 30 minutes even on super duper dual core machines

The system ONLY works with Win 2000, NT or XP... I've been unable to make it happy with Vista.

And it needs IE 6 or 7... It will work with Foxpro but it won't bring up the pictures.

Submariner409
03-28-08, 10:52 AM
Is your DVD a Helm, Inc. purchase, or a GM dealer copy?

The Helm comes with a necessary authentication code, the dealer copy needs the dealer ID and access code.

I just looked at the Helm site yesterday, and the Seville DVD is around $400 !! The service manual is still $135.

jvegas08
03-28-08, 01:09 PM
this is a GM dealer copy...i guess it has all sevice manuals of GM vehicles 1998 - 2005....i just got a dvd, no cd...ill try reinstalling it into temp directory and see what happens

Ur7x
03-28-08, 06:30 PM
You need the CD... the CD contains the database software that drives the whole thing... It also contains all of the "web parts" that you need to see images and to route IE to this internal "server"

Without the CD
IT WILL NOT WORK.

Unless this is some dual layer DVD thats 9 Gig...
This usually comes as a 4.7Gig DVD and a standard CD

Sub... "hacked" dealer copies are now in the public domain... No key required.
It is a VERY cool tool...
GM should make these free with every new car purchase.

CadillacSTS42005
03-28-08, 06:36 PM
my 1st copy was on a DL DVD

the second copy i got was from from a very helpful member and he knows who he is (thanks again for that) and was 1 cd and 1 dvd

i have them still but i have since lost the instructions for it ( i used to have the GM instructions for it and used them when installing the cd and dvd version i got as i couldnt figure out how otherwise)

Ur7x
03-28-08, 07:08 PM
I know nothing...
I see nothing...
NOTHING! ;)

If anyone is looking for this app

Google "torrent and GM eSi"

You need to load bit torrent on your machine and this down load will take days... but that should work.

Good luck

CadillacSTS42005
03-28-08, 07:24 PM
lol
nor i my friend nor i