: Paint damage

boatmanea
03-27-08, 11:13 PM
I finally get my garage clean and open enough to park my Escalade in it and, DOH!!!, I get a streak of black garage door opener grease on my paint that is IN the paint. I have tried surface cleaning without any success - it looks like it is DEEP in the paint. The truck is an '04 white diamond, so it is a hideous blemish on the side of my truck. Short of sand blasting and repainting the panel, does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

-Erik

z06bigbird
03-28-08, 12:16 AM
Take it to Cavender Caddy downtown after you remove the Ken Batchelor sticker. They are friendly people down there. Body shop mgr will likely assist you without charging--particularly if you take some tacos with you. Seriously. Ask him for his advice; tell him the tacos are a bribe. (They like that.) They have helped me a few times. Or you could take it to Batchelor if you want to spend $$.

ZaC851
03-28-08, 01:38 AM
I personally wouldnt take it to any dealers body shop..thats me though....I would fine a good detailer in the area. Check out www.autopia.org and look for someone local in the SA area. Chances are they will have to use a orbital or rotary buffer with a rough pad and some good polish to get it out...or possibly even have to wet sand it and then buff it back to a gloss.. If its to deep that will require sanding and repainting..i would try to find a good body shop..

hcvone
03-28-08, 08:47 AM
It sounds like it etched into your paint, although grease will not do that to paint. If you feel the surface can you feel anything? i.e. roughness? If you feel anything on the surface you could try claying, if not find a good detail shop or good body shop to buff out the danaged area. Never put grease on your garage door tracks, I( got yelled at last week when I had a garage door repair company at my house. What color is your truck?

boatmanea
03-28-08, 05:01 PM
It sounds like it etched into your paint, although grease will not do that to paint. If you feel the surface can you feel anything? i.e. roughness? If you feel anything on the surface you could try claying, if not find a good detail shop or good body shop to buff out the danaged area. Never put grease on your garage door tracks, I( got yelled at last week when I had a garage door repair company at my house. What color is your truck?

There is no roughness at all to the stain - It is smooth (I just washed it and it didn't come out). As far as "grease," this is from the garage door opener - the motor sits right over the right rear door of the truck. My poor truck - it's white diamond, so it stands out like a sore thumb. I'm due for an oil change and major service anyway, so I may try to Cavender route.

-Erik

ZaC851
03-28-08, 05:03 PM
There is no roughness at all to the stain - It is smooth (I just washed it and it didn't come out). As far as "grease," this is from the garage door opener - the motor sits right over the right rear door of the truck. My poor truck - it's white diamond, so it stands out like a sore thumb. I'm due for an oil change and major service anyway, so I may try to Cavender route.

-Erik

Since theres no roughness I'd just find a good detailers. Sound like it will come right now with a buffer and some good polish.