: Life After Stealth V - Now How Do I tune?

syd
03-27-08, 12:22 AM
Hello tribe,

looking to take that next step and have decided that I should get a tune(r) before I go to headers (if I can talk myself into them) to avoid check engine lights etc. Also, I am of the understanding that I can get some more fuel economy out of the car with a decent tune. I've already done the Magnaflow and the light-weight fly wheel and I think it's time to go faster and I think that a tune will help me take full advantage of these mods, especially the exhaust right? I'm hoping to get some opinions on what my options are:

Here is what I want:
1) More power.
2) More Fuel Economy if this is possible.
3) Turn off skip shift.
4) Ability to get headers and turn off check engine lamp (espeically if I get headers).
5) Even more throttle Response
6) Ability to tune the ECU to grow to my mods.
7) Ability to keep RS4s, M3s, and ISFs in check. *smirk*

Here is what I know
Diablo sport - Really limited(?) Basically one size fits all unless you get a custom tune. It doesn't seem that bad to me but I hear a lot of people on here talk down about them

Superchips - More limited that Diablo Sport.

EFI Life - Not for kids. Really have to know your stuff

HPT - Similar to EFI live?

I don't want to spend a lot but I know these are all in the $400-$600 buck range.

Anyone braved this jungle?

thanks in advance,
Syd

AlmostAV
03-27-08, 12:27 AM
Where are you located? I would 100% recommend a dyno tune, and nothing else. Every car is different and responds differently to different variations. On the dyno someone can personally build and tweak a file specifically for your car, and do all the things you want. Most dynos offer good deals on retunes say you add another part. You cannot buy a diablosport and do what you want to, unless your well informed in tuning engines, because the out of the box tune is not very good IMO.

AlmostAV
03-27-08, 12:28 AM
You definetly should get the headers before a tune. You will need a full out tune when you get headers anyway, and with your mods, a tune isnt necessary

syd
03-27-08, 12:40 AM
Headers and the tune would have to happen on the same day I would think no? You can't run these cars without a check engine lamp and headers right? That's my understanding. You don't think I'm leaving anything on the table now? Nothing from a chip at all? Are headers where the power is?

AlmostAV
03-27-08, 01:30 AM
I ran headers with no o2 sensors for a day and Im fine. I ran it with the check engine light for some time weith no tune, as well as many others on this forum have done with no problems. The only engine code I threw was for running catless. whcih the stock computer can handle. Car parts work together. Part A may not do so much but A+B+C = Great Power....go with a proven setup, you can search on here for several dyno charts, I will be posting mine up asap.

rand49er
03-27-08, 06:35 AM
Funny how timely this thread is.

I called a local tuner yesterday. Their website says they have LS6 experience, but need my car for more than a day, and that won't work for me. How long should a so-called LS6-experienced tuner take? I don't need that last ft-lb of torque at every conceivable RPM.

keeksv
03-27-08, 09:04 AM

I called a local tuner yesterday. Their website says they have LS6 experience, but need my car for more than a day, and that won't work for me. How long should a so-called LS6-experienced tuner take? I don't need that last ft-lb of torque at every conceivable RPM.

Someone who really knows what they're doing can probably dial your car in in less than an hour or two...if they want to road test it and log some data while driving, I could see it taking longer.

10secTy
03-27-08, 09:31 AM
When I tune the more time I have the better the tune is period. But usually I spend about 4 hours total on customers stuff. That includes on the dyno, highway, city etc. I try to hit all areas of the tune and make it the best it can be. I have been tweaking the tune on my V for months but then again its my V.

Nolan

CTSV_510
03-27-08, 10:36 AM
You definetly should get the headers before a tune. You will need a full out tune when you get headers anyway, and with your mods, a tune isnt necessary

So there is nothing a tune can do for you when your only mod is a catback? I don't plan on getting headers anytime soon, all my mod $ is going in the maggie fund. :yup:

benelliwang
03-27-08, 11:16 AM
I am a big HPTuner fan, just love the ease of use and wealth of knowloge. Also, love the simple tuning capability with a wideband. Just plug in the wideband O2, start logging and VE table is done. So simple. Also, it provides the ability to run 2-3 bar map, making turbo or supercharging a simple way to tune. EFI Live is just as good but I haven't used it.

I am 100% for dyno tuning as long as it is a load bearing dyno like a mustang dyno. Where you can safetly load the car with simulated road conditions. The none load bearing dyno is only good for posting high dyno numbers.

Also, having a check engine light doesn't mean the engine will blow any minute. A loose gas cap will cause 3 error codes, a bad sensor will cause error codes, using too much water and not enough antifreeze will cause codes that says your thermostat is broken. So having a check engine light lit means nothing, know the reason of the error is more important. So yes, I've driven cars with the light lit for months without issues and the engine did not blow up.

BBD
03-27-08, 12:02 PM
I have the 06' V with the LS2 engine. I have looked for over the counter tuners but they do not seem to be listed for the LS2...yet. Will there be issues with looking into dyno tuning the car because of the difference in engines? Seems most of the members are running the LS6 I do not hear much about the LS2.

10secTy
03-27-08, 12:10 PM
There should be no issues tuning the LS2 there are lots running around in GTO's and Vettes.

Nolan

BBD
03-27-08, 12:16 PM
Ok, thanks just wondering, I have not been to quick with moding the car. Can not find a CAI with tube for the LS2 only new airbox. I have not done headers yet, I have been waiting on that. Thinking about doing it before the track day and bringing it up to Tony's Corvette Shop to have it tuned.

rand49er
03-27-08, 12:19 PM
... I am 100% for dyno tuning as long as it is a load bearing dyno like a mustang dyno. Where you can safetly load the car with simulated road conditions. The none load bearing dyno is only good for posting high dyno numbers. ...After thinking about this a bit, I wholeheartedly agree. :thumbsup:

If I'm thinking properly, a Dynojet "measures" the RWHP/RWTQ by accelerating a rotating mass (basically, a flywheel) of known physical characteristics (i.e. moment of inertia). So, if I installed a lighter flywheel in the car's drivetrain, say, by going to a UUC which is about 18 lbs vs the stocker at 50+ lbs, the Dynojet would "measure" a higher hp/tq since it's looking at how the rotational speed of the vehicle/dyno system changes. This would be greater in the second senario even though nothing whatsoever changed as far as the engine goes.

Whereas, the Mustang, by providing a load, would not be affected by a change to a lighter flywheel (e.g. the 18 lb UUC) which is as it should be.

Note, this is not to suggest that going to a lighter flywheel is not advantageous -- it is! -- just that it does not or should not affect the measurement of RWHP/RWTQ IMHO.

Is my thinking correct? :confused:

Venomous-V
03-27-08, 05:17 PM
So there is nothing a tune can do for you when your only mod is a catback? I don't plan on getting headers anytime soon, all my mod $ is going in the maggie fund. :yup:

haha, you caught the bug....must be contagious!

CTSV_510
03-27-08, 05:29 PM
haha, you caught the bug....must be contagious!

I'm telling you, the best and worst thing I did was ride in your car that day. :devil: Now I'm putting off home renovations for a freakin maggie. :nono:

StealthV
03-27-08, 05:46 PM
Last I checked, I'm not dead and for those in need, I've got a very nice proven LS2 version that was flogged on road courses last year.

jbss71
03-27-08, 06:02 PM
Someone who really knows what they're doing can probably dial your car in in less than an hour or two...if they want to road test it and log some data while driving, I could see it taking longer.my tuner takes the car for 3 days, but thats for big cams and such to make sure it idles prefect. WOT dyno tunning takes 3 pulls and all of a hour but doesnt fix your cruising/idle tables. which means your MPG hasn't been tweaked

There should be no issues tuning the LS2 there are lots running around in GTO's and Vettes.
the ls2 has a new PCM, most have gotten ahold of it some still have not.

SkullV
03-27-08, 06:22 PM
Last I checked, I'm not dead and for those in need, I've got a very nice proven LS2 version that was flogged on road courses last year.

Would have been nice if you responded to some emails in the last month or so....

rand49er
03-27-08, 08:54 PM
I'm telling you, the best and worst thing I did was ride in your car that day. :devil: Now I'm putting off home renovations for a freakin maggie. :nono:You're not the first one that's happened to. :highfive:

I drove ronr's. :rolleyes:

ronr
03-27-08, 09:15 PM
You're not the first one that's happened to. :highfive:

I drove ronr's. :rolleyes:

yer welcome :sneaky:

p.s. I love my StealthV tune and would highly recommend one.