: Its official. Jaguar's sold.

Jesda
03-26-08, 12:00 PM
March 26 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co., the world's third- largest automaker, agreed to sell Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors Ltd. for less than half what it paid for the two brands as luxury-vehicle demand drops.

Tata, India's biggest truckmaker, will spend $2.3 billion, while Ford will contribute about $600 million at closing to the Jaguar Land Rover pension funds, the companies said today.

Ford is ending its investment in U.K.-based brands as the U.S. housing slump and job losses curb sales of models such as the $80,000 Jaguar XK. Ford is working to return to profit next year after $15.3 billion in losses in 2006 and 2007.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/...=home (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a6BCGuWnMT8Q&refer=home)

Without money-making Land Rover to sweeten the deal, it would have been impossible for Ford to dump the cat.

71goldie
03-26-08, 12:54 PM
Man, Range Rovers better stay nice... I love range rovers.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-08, 01:24 PM
That's sorta depressing and strange.

Destroyer
03-26-08, 02:58 PM
Remember I posted pics of the Tata?. The lowest priced car on the planet?. Now whose laughing?.:alchi: Ta-ta Jaguar!. Its ashame, the last decade saw many a nice Jaguar hitting the streets.

Florian
03-26-08, 03:03 PM
If you buy 2, will you have a nice set of TaTa's?

F

SvB4EvA
03-26-08, 03:10 PM

F

:yup: :lol:

dkozloski
03-26-08, 03:22 PM
India, where obsolete old British crap goes to linger and die. Royal Enfield pioneered the process.

orconn
03-26-08, 04:02 PM
Let's face it, Jaguar lost it uniquesness as a specialty, luxury car manufacturer after Sir William Lyons left the helm back in the 1970's. The cars designed during his reign really were something special; setting a world standard of beauty and speed (if not quality build) at an originally affordable price. As the company went forward from the early seventies it was challenged by better and better cars from Europe ...... and then Japan. Jaguar tried to upgrade its' aging XJ six models but it was a loosing battle. The truth of the matter was that each so-called refinement of a Lyons design detracted from the original's beauty and uniqueness. When they finally got their quality under control their cars were no longer setting style nor engineering benchmarks and had become nothing more than, as had their compatriot Roll Royce, than nice "furniture" not much of an automobile anymore.

I've owned seven Jags in my lifetime the XK 150, E-types, and first XJ6s all were unique in their time and marketplace. The last two I had were nothing more than British style leather and wood interiors (and not very ergometrically sorted out at that, by contemporary standards at that) in antiquated bodies whose charm was had been face lifted to death.

Ford has never been very good at luxury cars ........ yes, they were the Mk I and II Continentals and the early 60's small Continental ....... but every time I have tried a Lincoln it always came across as a gussied up Ford.

I think Koz is right, perhaps it is best that Jaguar go to the La Brea Tar Pit of British engineering!

Cadillacboy
03-26-08, 04:05 PM
I kinda expected this deal too. RIP ,Ford's Premier Automotive Group .

Sandy
03-26-08, 04:31 PM
I just came from the Jaguar club's message board, and everyone over there is dressed in black !

dkozloski
03-26-08, 05:17 PM
Tell them to console themselves with the Kama Sutra.

RightTurn
03-26-08, 06:40 PM
Damn. That's depressing. :(

(I believe it's "bodacious" tatas, F.) :alchi:

HITMONEY
03-26-08, 06:43 PM
Great.

Just when you thought Ford's customer service was bad...

At least TaTa won't have to go far to outsource its customer service call center.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-08, 06:50 PM
What if they did though???? Outsourced to Kansas!

RightTurn
03-26-08, 06:51 PM
Great.

Just when you thought Ford's customer service was bad...

At least TaTa won't have to go far to outsource its customer service call center.

:histeric:

dkozloski
03-26-08, 07:00 PM
Give Ford a couple of years and the whole damn outfit will be over there.

orconn
03-26-08, 07:16 PM
I don't know why the club members, of which I am one, would be dressed in black. The cars have been built by Indians and other previous colonial nationals for years ........ just as Mercedes have been built by Turks! I don't expect a lot of innovative ideas from the new owners, but like the Brits, the Indians do tradition pretty well. It may be, though, being located now in Southeast Asia the Jaguar may have to change its' spots to stripes!!

dkozloski
03-26-08, 07:28 PM
I keep picturing in my mind that the new chief engineer is going to be the guy from "Short Circuit".

MauiV
03-26-08, 08:19 PM
DAMNIT!!! Now Im gonna lose my A-Plan pricing on my Range Rover Sport S/C and the wifes XJ-R!!!!

F'in Firestone has KILLED Ford Motor Company (along with Fords lacking engine development and shitty designers in the Lincoln branch).

We stopped by the dealer yesterday and looked at a XF S/C and it is a beautiful car and I am still IN LOVE with the dash and knob shifter. They had a black Vanden Plas being picked up by its happy new owner and it was an absolutly exquite vehicle.

We also stopped next door to look at a Cayenne GTS and they had THREE Carrera GT's sitting in the showroom. BEAUTIFUL cars. One red, one silver and one black. Came out of 1 guys collection. The salesman kept trying to get me into a 911 Turbo but its not really my style (and a ridiculous price for the car IMO) but I will enjoy the test drive when I go back.

slk230mb
03-26-08, 08:40 PM

F

Niiiiice :)

Jesda
03-26-08, 08:40 PM
Cayenne owners are subhuman.

MauiV
03-26-08, 10:37 PM
The wife likes the Cayenne but she also like the Range Rover. I prefer the Rover.

dkozloski
03-26-08, 11:22 PM
The wife likes the Cayenne but she also like the Range Rover. I prefer the Rover.
You mean the "Defunct".