: Illegal to watch street racing in California

Ralph
05-24-03, 11:26 PM
I just found out that in California it is even illegal to watch street racing!! I mean how can they arrest you for seeing it if you are innocently walking on the street?!

03EscaladeAWD
05-24-03, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
I just found out that in California it is even illegal to watch street racing!! I mean how can they arrest you for seeing it if you are innocently walking on the street?! Oh sure! Chase the innocent pedestrians on the sidewalk down and handculf them while the street racers speed away in their mosquito-mobiles!

Ralph
05-25-03, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
Oh sure! Chase the innocent pedestrians on the sidewalk down and handculf them while the street racers speed away in their mosquito-mobiles!

You Yamks have some crazy laws allright.:D

Ralph
05-25-03, 12:13 AM
You Yamks have some crazy laws allright.:D

That should read YANKS.:cool:

elwesso
05-25-03, 12:21 AM
Were you out to beat KC to it????

Ralph
05-25-03, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by elwesso
Were you out to beat KC to it????

Darn right! I don't really know what a brain fart is but I don't want to be on the list like you either!:D

BeelzeBob
05-29-03, 08:22 AM
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What did they do change the constitution? Someone is lying to you.

kcnewell
05-29-03, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. What did they do change the constitution? Someone is lying to you.

No one is lying here...It is in fact illegal to watch street racing in The Peoples Republic of California! The problem was that the little fast and furious wannabes were really causing a lot of trouble. Closing down streets with crowds of onlookers, Vandalizing local businesses, Leaving tons of trash and stuff laying around everywhere they went. Gang problems, A fairly large number of rapes ( some of which were caught on video tape ), A couple of serious crowd control/riot situations and the minor problem of some of the little darlings getting killed ( No great loss ) So they passed a law! Now the idiots snivel about how they're being singled out and harassed for no reason other than they want to have a little fun! They brought it on themselves and unfortunately they brought it on the rest of us too! YOU CAN'T HAVE SELF GOVERNMENT WITHOUT SELF DISCIPLINE!

Ralph
05-30-03, 02:39 AM
Damn! Sounds like a big party with lots of fun. Think I'll move there KC, or maybe I can rent your garage! LOL

Ralph
05-30-03, 03:33 AM
It's totally amazing how the media (movie) can have such an impact on society. It makes one wonder if there is any originality left out there. Maybe they should get some cops in souped Civics to infiltrate the street racers, just like in the movie! LOL!

kcnewell
05-30-03, 09:09 AM
It's totally amazing how the media (movie) can have such an impact on society. Maybe they should get some cops in souped Civics to infiltrate the street racers, just like in the movie! LOL!

Or....Perhaps people should start raising their kids with some values!

Ralph
05-31-03, 03:12 AM
I'm with ya Biker Dude!!

lux hauler
05-31-03, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by kcnewell
Or....Perhaps people should start raising their kids with some values!
I agree but that would be too much like work for the parents as well as hinder a childs "natural" personality development:rolleyes:.
BTW......I heard that Texas is thinking of adopting a simular law.

Mad'lac
05-31-03, 10:39 AM
Yeah they are!!! And its all because some fools decide that its cool to race during the School Zone hours. It happened once here in San Antonio and got one girl killed. They are blaming another one on racing too but the guy just happen to be speeding . Nobody was racing him but since the Camera crew saw a few Camaros drive by the scene they assume there was racing.The issue here is if you get caught racing....you lose your license and your car.

BeelzeBob
05-31-03, 10:48 AM
So what deems one to be watching? It can't be in trouble for seeing it - but you can be for watching it.. So how do they define watching?

Oh and since disciplining your children is illegal nowadays, this is what happens.. Nobody thinks of concequences anymore...

Ralph
05-31-03, 11:27 PM
They adopted school zones here where you can only go 30 kph. The only reason they adopted it is because last year a kid played chicken with cars and lost. In all the years previous, no laws and no deaths!

03EscaladeAWD
05-31-03, 11:42 PM
Ok, so its the media's fault. No one under the age of 20 is allowed to see the movie that has a car. Sounds harsh, but it would sure stop ricer street racing. And now look. The WORST thing to do is bring out a sequel to the ricer movie. And the cop is now a bad guy and orders his army to run over all the cop cars. I dunno whos dumber. The media or the ricer teenagers. :rolleyes:

kcnewell
06-01-03, 10:16 AM
It's a toss up!

HotRodSaint
06-01-03, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 03EscaladeAWD
Ok, so its the media's fault. No one under the age of 20 is allowed to see the movie that has a car. Sounds harsh, but it would sure stop ricer street racing. And now look. The WORST thing to do is bring out a sequel to the ricer movie. And the cop is now a bad guy and orders his army to run over all the cop cars. I dunno whos dumber. The media or the ricer teenagers. :rolleyes:

There were street races long before Fast and Furious. There will be street races long after 2 Fast 2 Furious.

James Dean is a national icon. Yet he was street racing in movies (and in real life). Your father (or your fathers father) thought he was an idiot too.

Ralph
06-02-03, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by HotRodSaint
There were street races long before Fast and Furious. There will be street races long after 2 Fast 2 Furious.

James Dean is a national icon. Yet he was street racing in movies (and in real life). Your father (or your fathers father) thought he was an idiot too.

Yes, there were street races long before F&F, but not nearly as many fixed up Civics with all the unnecessary crap on them. As far as I have heard, street racers then would go out of town to race, ie. during the original musclecar era circa 1964-73. When James Dean was alive, I wonder if they blocked off streets, etc?? Bottom line, street racing with these little rice cars is very popular BECAUSE of the movie, and in 2000, no one in a Civic would think they could win a race between a Mustang GT or Camaro Z28, now they think they have won before even racing, and the image has become more popular and important than actually winning on the street, IMO.

kcnewell
06-02-03, 03:54 AM
during the original musclecar era circa 1964-73. When James Dean was alive,

RALPH!!!! You're killin' me here! Better check the date that James Dean died!

Am I gonna have to start a B.F. count for you now????

Ralph
06-02-03, 04:02 AM
RALPH!!!! You're killin' me here! Better check the date that James Dean died!

Am I gonna have to start a B.F. count for you now????

No, but I guess I could start one for you! Notice that little dot after 73. That means new sentence. I think Dean died in1955. Disregard my comment about a BF count for you, remember bikers scare me.:D ;) :eek: It's late and I'll let it go this time. LOL.

kcnewell
06-02-03, 04:07 AM
It was a weak save Ralph! But I'll let it go......Besides, Chasin' you down isn't a good enough reason for me to go to Canukville! The thing reads like you thought he died MUCH later than he did!
I'm NOT repeat NOT a James Dean fan......But I do know what year he died!

Ralph
06-02-03, 04:13 AM
It was a weak save Ralph! But I'll let it go......Besides, Chasin' you down isn't a good enough reason for me to go to Canukville! The thing reads like you thought he died MUCH later than he did!
I'm NOT repeat NOT a James Dean fan......But I do know what year he died!

Better not come up here, ya might get SARS, MAD COW, or WESTNILE VIRUS, what the hell is happening to my country anyway!! Plus I saw that Marlon Brando biker movie and too many Peter Fonda ones of the late '60's to really be scared, I'm desensitized to it!:D I look at what I posted and it was awkwardly written, I'm sorry, it is late and I am too addicted to this Forum to get proper sleep!!;)

HotRodSaint
06-02-03, 08:04 AM
Bottom line, street racing with these little rice cars is very popular BECAUSE of the movie...

I realize news travels very slow to the northern parts of the world. But Fast and Furious was an idea someone got for a movie after watching a local LA Fox news special about street racing.

Maybe there are kid's in other parts of the world that got their idea from the movie, but the movie wasn't where the idea started.

Since the street racing phenomenom began causing problems in LA, there have been a few new strips opened up PLUS new divisions in professional racing. Which addressed the main problem they had, all souped up and no where to race. It seems that 'authorities' didn't want to approve any race tracks, until there was a problem on their streets.

Ralph
06-03-03, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by HotRodSaint
I realize news travels very slow to the northern parts of the world. But Fast and Furious was an idea someone got for a movie after watching a local LA Fox news special about street racing.

Maybe there are kid's in other parts of the world that got their idea from the movie, but the movie wasn't where the idea started.

Since the street racing phenomenom began causing problems in LA, there have been a few new strips opened up PLUS new divisions in professional racing. Which addressed the main problem they had, all souped up and no where to race. It seems that 'authorities' didn't want to approve any race tracks, until there was a problem on their streets.

Don't worry, we get all the American news channels up here, it's called satellite.;) I'm well aware that there HAS ALWAYS been street racing, but I implied that because of the movie, "street racing with these little rice cars is very popular." Before 2001, I NEVER saw a Civic with double rowed wings, NOS stickers, custom graphic paint, and the buzz buzz mufflers.

Are you saying that the sanctioned tracks has helped with the problem of street racing, say in L.A.?

HotRodSaint
06-03-03, 08:25 AM
Are you saying that the sanctioned tracks has helped with the problem of street racing, say in L.A.?

It has helped, yes. But there will always be those who get an added thrill from doing something illegal. Like driving 80mph (or 125) on a 65mph highway.

And there has always been gangs. Before lowered Civics, it was low rider Chevy's.

All I'm saying is blaming societies ills on one movie, makes no sense.

And lastly, Sport Compact Car magazine has been in large circulation for over 10 years now. This being available at your local grocery store probably has more impact on what kid's drive than a recently released movie.

the Sandman
06-03-03, 09:06 AM
Public policy demands that something be done to make the streets safe for citizens - street racing is quite dangerous. Yes, people do it but it can not be condoned, much like driving under the influence and road rage.

Due to budget constraints there are limited numbers of enforcement officers. In addition, in many jurisdictions there are now restrictions on high-speed pursuits which are even more dangerous than street racing. So, it's not so easy to catch the racers, especially when they use spotters, radios, and who knows what other technologies to avoid being nabbed.

So, lawmakers at every level attempt to control this unacceptable behavior with laws designed to combat the problem from different angles. To a responsible citizen it may not seem unreasonable to make illegal the support of such activites - even just watching. Heck, it's certainly worse to watch street races than, say, loitering or jay walking. To be sure, a good attorney could probably get most people accused of this off the hook, but it would still bring headaches and expense. If this is what it takes to get people to respect the safety of others than so be it.

lux hauler
06-03-03, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by the Sandman
Public policy demands that something be done to make the streets safe for citizens - street racing is quite dangerous. Yes, people do it but it can not be condoned, much like driving under the influence and road rage.

Due to budget constraints there are limited numbers of enforcement officers. In addition, in many jurisdictions there are now restrictions on high-speed pursuits which are even more dangerous than street racing. So, it's not so easy to catch the racers, especially when they use spotters, radios, and who knows what other technologies to avoid being nabbed.

So, lawmakers at every level attempt to control this unacceptable behavior with laws designed to combat the problem from different angles. To a responsible citizen it may not seem unreasonable to make illegal the support of such activites - even just watching. Heck, it's certainly worse to watch street races than, say, loitering or jay walking. To be sure, a good attorney could probably get most people accused of this off the hook, but it would still bring headaches and expenses. If this is what it takes to get people to respect the safety of others than so be it.
Do you really think the street racers are going to care that the people that were watching them race got arrested? I think not.
There are already laws on the books to combat street racing. If those laws don't work, or are unenforceable, what makes you think these new laws are going to work?
The only people that this affects are law abiding citizens. The people that don't obey the laws that are on the books now won't care about the new laws either.
This type of law borders on communism.

the Sandman
06-03-03, 01:02 PM
Do you really think the street racers are going to care that the people that were watching them race got arrested? I think not.It doesn't really matter what the racers think. We're not talking about racing down the street, we're talking about organized "street racing". Not the same thing. Sure, as long as there are moving vehicles people will drive fast and "race" with other drivers. Certainly dangerous, but less so than the organized street races. The people who are merely driving too fast do not have money at stake, do not have spotters watching for the authorities, do not have crowds goading them on. Conversely, the organized street races exist for the entertainment of the crowd and for betting on the outcome. This dynamic, coupled with the large number of unruly (and often inebriated) people in close proximity to the cars and the protection afforded by the large group and spotters, makes for a much more dangerous situation that is not easily remedied.
There are already laws on the books to combat street racing. If those laws don't work, or are unenforceable, what makes you think these new laws are going to work?
The only people that this affects are law abiding citizens. The people that don't obey the laws that are on the books now won't care about the new laws either.Law abiding citizens do not, or should not, support organized street racing. It's too dangerous. People get hurt, and killed. And these victims are often innocent bystanders. Imagine your wife in her car with the kids, coming back from shopping, minding her own business and suddenly finding herself in the middle of a cutthroat street race for thousands of dollars where the drivers don't care if they run her off the road as long as they win and don't get caught. No, our "rights" and "freedoms" don't extend as far as allowing people to support street races - which is exactly what the spectators are doing.

This type of law borders on communism.Communism is "a theory advocating elimination of private property ; a system in which goods are owned in common and are available to all as needed". I don't believe this is what you mean, you probably mean that it is totalitarian, " of or relating to centralized control by an autocratic leader or hierarchy : AUTHORITARIAN, DICTATORIAL,DESPOTIC ; of or relating to a political regime based on subordination of the individual to the state and strict control of all aspects of the life and productive capacity of the nation especially by coercive measures (as censorship and terrorism)". All I can say is, even in our free and open society there must be a public policy which protects the individual from the misdeeds of others. And just what do you think would happen to the street racers and spectators in a dictatorial country which has outlawed such behavior?

lux hauler
06-03-03, 04:04 PM
Regardless of how you put it.....new laws will not take care of the problem. These actions (racing on city streets) are against the law as it is now. These people that are racing obviously care nothing about the law. If they did, they wouldn't be racing on the street.
If they aren't able to enforce the laws that are on the books now, they won't be able to enforce new ones.

lev
06-03-03, 09:36 PM
"street racing with these little rice cars is very popular BECAUSE of the movie"

Wrong, it's the other way around.

The movie is popular because of street racing.

Street racing has a lot of good to it as well as bad. People need to get a special place just for racing and race there. It has to be something affordable.
You know, skateboarders have the very same problem. Wonder how they deal with that?

Ralph
06-04-03, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by lev
"street racing with these little rice cars is very popular BECAUSE of the movie"

Wrong, it's the other way around.

The movie is popular because of street racing.

Street racing has a lot of good to it as well as bad. People need to get a special place just for racing and race there. It has to be something affordable.
You know, skateboarders have the very same problem. Wonder how they deal with that?

If you are implying that the media has had NO impact on society, I seriously beg to differ. The media being radio, television, advertising, magazines, billboards, etc,etc, dictates that women be thin to a point of anorexia. The media dictates that men must have huge bulging muscles before they will be successful or have self esteem. The media dictates that if you drink a certain brand of beer, you will be more popular with your friends and the ladies. I do believe the movie has influenced a lot more of this action because it glamorizes it. Yes, I liked the movie, eventhough I wish there were more American cars on it. But anyway you make a good point about the movie being influenced because of street racing, of course this is true, and so is the fact that there is NOW an almost epidemic of street ricer racing because it looked like fun in a movie. The media does influence us my friend. BTW, that reminds me, I need to get those penile implants so my woman will be more happy!:D ;) As for old skateboarders like myself, look at Jason Lee (professional skateboarder) did that movie called "stealing Harvard." So I guess the media can be our friend as well.:cool:

04 Escalade
09-12-03, 03:41 PM
Better parenting. More values. More responsibility. Problem solved.

lev
12-22-04, 08:23 AM
The media dictates that men must have huge bulging muscles before they will be successful or have self esteem. The media dictates that if you drink a certain brand of beer, you will be more popular with your friends and the ladies

But it's true, I started drinking Heineken and made more friends instantly, just like commercial said. :bouncy:

I need to get those penile implants so my woman will be more happy!:D ;)

I know you up in Canada wait in line for your surgeries, so how much time are you left before going on the table? :D

RBraczyk
12-22-04, 10:25 AM
Any particular reason this was dug up?

davesdeville
12-22-04, 06:16 PM
Because Lev likes to dig up old threads for no good reason. Well, every once in a while he has a good reason, but this... :rolleyes2

While I'm wasting space and complaining... J Crizzle your sig is long RB.

onbagz2002
12-22-04, 10:54 PM
your sig is long RB.
AGREED