: 2008 Transmission Problems

jbrusnak
03-25-08, 06:24 PM
Hi all,

I just purchased a brand new 2008 EXT on March 5th of this month. I really was sold on the truck and it fit all my needs. The only missing piece of the puzzle at all was Bluetooth, but I have been using headset for years so I let that one slide.

Three days later, at around 300 miles the transmission started acting funny. When coming to a stop, it would get jerky when downshifting (in automatic). Then when starting from a stop, it would hesitate and lurch as it tried to shift. I was able to get home, but the darn thing actually stalled out on me twice pulling out from red lights.

I had it towed in to my local dealer who had it for three days. They finally were able to reproduce the problem and reprogrammed "the computer."

300 miles later, on the 18th it did the same exact thing again. This time the dealer I purchased it from requested that I have it brought to them. Again it was towed in. They ended up having it for six days. They replaced I believe the transmission control module, reprogrammed it, and flushed the transmission system. I just got it back yesterday evening.

I have a couple questions...Has anyone else heard of issues like this with the Escalade? Second, I would like to send a letter to Cadillac about this whole experience. Buying a $65k vehicle and having it in the shop more than in your driveway in the first three weeks of ownership has really ruined the whole experience for me. Does anyone have a good address to send a complaint to that actually has a shot at being read?

I'm not really sure what I should be asking for. I'm mostly just really disappointed in the whole experience. In my state, three strikes at fixing a serious safety issue triggers the lemon law. Obviously your car dying on you in an intersection is serious in my book.

The worst part is that I have been in crappy loaners both times. The first time I was given another Cadillac station wagon, but the second time I was given a rental from Enterprise. And guess what, they HAD to rent me a GM vehicle so I got to drive a base model minivan around for almost a week.

I am hoping that things are fixed, but I also wonder if people think I should push hard for a replacement vehicle even prior to a lemon law issue being triggered. I don't want to end up with a truck that is going to have issues farther down the road.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeremy

hcvone
03-25-08, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the Forum. :) The loaner thing varies by dealership, I have got new STS's and then again used Tahoe's over the years, depends on the dealership. I am two 07's Escalade's and have not had any trans problems, blew an engine on one 07' a little over a year ago, but that was replaced by GM with a new truck. I have towed with both trucks over 7k lbs all over the country and as I said no trans issues at all. There were some owners of early 07's that had to have their trans reprogrammed due to shift problems and banging when coming to a stop. There will be some failures with the amount of the trucks made, it sucks and no one wants problems when spending that kind of money. You can look up state by state about your lemon laws online or contact a lemon law lawyer to see your rights. You can also use the 800 number in your owners manual to start GM looking into your problem.

Dif
03-25-08, 09:58 PM
Yes as Hcvone said: Contact GM Cadillac Customer service and Get them involved so they start a service ticket for you.
Explain everything that happened so far and at which Dealer.
This way everything is documented and they get in touch and work with the Dealer to keep them on their toes.
Here's the info and Good luck.

Customer Assistance
The Customer Assistance Center is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please have the following information available:

Your name, address, and home and daytime telephone numbers
Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), which can be found on your registration
Dealership name and location
Vehicle delivery date and current mileage
Nature of your concernInside the U.S.: 1-800-333-4CAD (223)
Inside Canada: 1-800-263-3777
International Inquiries: 1-905-644-4112