: are coils interchangible from front to rear?

pontiacsouth
03-25-08, 04:05 PM
i suspect i have a coil problem with my 01 dts. i have a spare but its for the rear. i was going to try to replace the front coil since its a lot easier. will the rear work on the front or are they different??

Submariner409
03-25-08, 05:26 PM
If you look in www.rockauto.com you'll see two different part numbers for coil cassettes (4 coils in each), one # for front, one # for rear.

pontiacsouth
03-25-08, 05:30 PM
i know they are 2 different part numbers & one is black & one is gray. my question is would the rear work on the front??

Submariner409
03-25-08, 05:35 PM
Either pull the whole thing apart and compare the parts themselves or wait for AJ or eWill3 to come aboard. My 2 are also different colors, but look similar. Never occurred to me to compare the connectors last year......gotta be something other than just color......

pontiacsouth
03-25-08, 05:45 PM
my hunch says they are different. i bought a used one off ebay, they said it was the front bank in the auction, but they sent me the rear & said it is interchangible. i just wanted to know for sure before i waste my time taking it appart. i appreciate your help, I'll just have a beer in the meantime....:alchi:

Logandiagnostic
03-26-08, 03:46 AM
They are identical.

The front is painted silver. The rear is black. GM suggestion program?

They are interchangeable. No problem.

I carry a spare coil bank in my trunk.

That being said..I have seen 2 versions of the IC plug in.

Logan Diagnostic LLC
www.ledfix.com
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandieselusa.com

ewill3rd
03-26-08, 07:13 AM
Yep, they are swappable.
They are just different colors. The plugs are the same, the bolt holes are the same, and the coil tower locations are identical.
I swap them sometimes to diagnose a misfire, I also keep some old ones laying around with the bad coils marked.
If I get a car with a miss I'll swap it out with a known bad one and see if the misfire moves... if it does I replace the coil.
GM has no other real way for us to test them.

pontiacsouth
03-26-08, 07:38 AM
well, i swapped coils when i got home last night, before i saw the answers above & the misfire is gone. Glad that worked. nice to know that they are swapable if that ever happens again.

thanks guys!!:thumbsup: