: Lyme Disease: What a bit...

AMGoff
03-25-08, 03:08 PM
...ch!

I've had this general sense of malaise for the past week or so. Fatigue, mild headaches, some joint pain here and there, little appetite... then this past Thursday night I started running a low-level fever off and on. I figured I had just come down with the flu, especially since I've gone the past five or six years without catching it.

Nevertheless... the wife made me go to the doctors this morning because the low fever still hadn't broke. So they ran some tests and it turns out its not the flu, but instead it seems my Lymes has flared up again... which really sucks.

This is probably the fifth or sixth flare up I've had in about 20 years or so... and what's worse is each time it's manifested itself as something completely different. The last time I had developed some sort of neuralgia in my right leg which left me barely able to walk on it without hefty doses of "happy" medication.

What's even worse still is now I get to go on another fun round of antibiotics and steroids. I think doxycycline is up in the rotation this time... double fun - I'll feel like I've been beat all over with a 2x4 for the next week or so..

I was actually just curious to see if anyone else has had the misfortune of being diagnosed with LD... and if you've been able to find a doctor who actually knows anything about it. From my own experience, LD seems to be one of least understood ailments and I know several people who've been misdiagnosed by their family doctor several times because they just had no clue about it. Luckily my doctor at least knows a little bit about it, if only because this area (the northeast in general, I believe Wisconsin and the southeast also have a high number as well) has one of the highest prevalences in the country. If treated properly very early on it can be completely nixed... but that's not often the case.

Anyway... sorry for the ramble... I'm just venting.

If nothing else, use this as a warning... if you ever find a tick on you that's been on long enough to dig itself in... have your doctor start you on a course of antibiotics right away... it may very well save you a lot of grief in the long run.

dkozloski
03-25-08, 03:14 PM
Move to Alaska. No ticks, no fleas, no snakes, no malaria carrying mosquitos, no tetanus. You might freeze to death but you'll feel good doing it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-25-08, 03:23 PM
Is that some sort of an STD? ;)

dkozloski
03-25-08, 03:38 PM
It comes with getting ticked off.

dkozloski
03-25-08, 04:01 PM
Amgoff, I don't envy you a bit. Lyme disease is one of the horrible bogies that keep showing up in the TV medical shows. Evidently it's hard to diagnose and can manifest itself up in a lot of different ways. Take care of yourself.

LS1Mike
03-25-08, 04:03 PM
I know a guy that I race with who has it, not funny stuff. Sorry to hear about it.

Florian
03-25-08, 06:14 PM
AMG, not a good bug to have.....it is plentiful in these parts, as is West Nile virus...
Take care of yourself.

F

DILLIGAF
03-25-08, 08:00 PM
Many people think they have it only to find out they have the antibodys to fight it=meaning they've already had a touch of it.

AMGoff
03-25-08, 08:06 PM
Move to Alaska. No ticks, no fleas, no snakes, no malaria carrying mosquitos, no tetanus. You might freeze to death but you'll feel good doing it.

AMG, not a good bug to have.....it is plentiful in these parts, as is West Nile virus...
Take care of yourself.

There are vast parts of the country where there is little to no risk of LD at all... Alaska being one, Hawaii another, and huge tracts of Plains and Rocky Mountain states. I am surprised about Ohio though... reported cases up to '96 were very minimal and predicted cases of transmission are also extremely low except for a small southern portion of the state... at least according to these charts:

http://www.autoimmunityresearch.org/lyme-disease/image20.gif
http://www.autoimmunityresearch.org/lyme-disease/image21.gif

However... I am curious as to how or why there is little to no risk of contracting tetanus in Alaska? I can understand the others... but not quite that one. Hmmm...

Amgoff, I don't envy you a bit. Lyme disease is one of the horrible bogies that keep showing up in the TV medical shows. Evidently it's hard to diagnose and can manifest itself up in a lot of different ways. Take care of yourself.

I know a guy that I race with who has it, not funny stuff. Sorry to hear about it.

It's not fun at all... Under the circumstances, I actually consider myself fairly lucky in that I seem to go every 3-4 years between flare-ups/relapses. I know of some people who deal with either relapses or even chronic complications every year... sometimes several times a year.

What makes it all the worse are two things though...

First, the unpredictability of it... you never know when nor where nor how it's going to happen. Like I said, each time I've had a relapse it's manifested itself in completely different symptoms.. the last time was by far the worst - nerve pain is unlike any other I've ever felt.

Second, it really is as mysterious as all those shows make it out to be. There's been tons of research on it, but it's still woefully vague especially in comparison with more well known diseases. Finding a doctor who knows anything at all about it can be difficult, even in areas where there are a high number of incidence.

Is that some sort of an STD? ;)

Yep... just like erectile dysfunction... or virginity. :yup:

dkozloski
03-25-08, 08:32 PM
There are vast parts of the country where there is little to no risk of LD at all... Alaska being one, Hawaii another, and huge tracts of Plains and Rocky Mountain states. I am surprised about Ohio though... reported cases up to '96 were very minimal and predicted cases of transmission are also extremely low except for a small southern portion of the state... at least according to these charts:

http://www.autoimmunityresearch.org/lyme-disease/image20.gif
http://www.autoimmunityresearch.org/lyme-disease/image21.gif

However... I am curious as to how or why there is little to no risk of contracting tetanus in Alaska? I can understand the others... but not quite that one. Hmmm...

It's not fun at all... Under the circumstances, I actually consider myself fairly lucky in that I seem to go every 3-4 years between flare-ups/relapses. I know of some people who deal with either relapses or even chronic complications every year... sometimes several times a year.

What makes it all the worse are two things though...

First, the unpredictability of it... you never know when nor where nor how it's going to happen. Like I said, each time I've had a relapse it's manifested itself in completely different symptoms.. the last time was by far the worst - nerve pain is unlike any other I've ever felt.

Second, it really is as mysterious as all those shows make it out to be. There's been tons of research on it, but it's still woefully vague especially in comparison with more well known diseases. Finding a doctor who knows anything at all about it can be difficult, even in areas where there are a high number of incidence.

Yep... just like erectile dysfunction... or virginity. :yup:

There has been one legitimate case of tetanus in the history of Alaska. A woman engaged in fishing in Dillingham stepped on a sharp rock on the beach in 1993 and cut her foot.
There was one previous case involving a man brought ashore from a foreign fishing boat by the Coast Guard that had cut himself and was diagnosed in Alaska.