: Catera A/C Compressor

catera4me
03-25-08, 12:45 PM
I have a 97 Catera with a dead A/C Compressor, and would like to tackle replacing it myself, and thats where the group comes in. Does anyone have a service manual with the instructions or removal and replacement of the compressor? If you do, I am wondering if you would scan the pages in and either e-mail them to me or post to the forum. I would be very grateful if someone could do that for me. vr6forme@yahoo.com

This forum rocks!! It has helped me on a number of repairs of my catera. Thank you!!!!

cateraowner
03-25-08, 02:48 PM
enjoy

srinne
03-25-08, 04:05 PM
Here is a good find:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310033365400

They usually sell for more on ebay, but who ever posted it didn't put in a good title.

Po Pimp
03-26-08, 02:41 AM
Not sure what your symptoms are, rather why you think your compressor is bad? In my case it was the clutch bearing. With the part and the special puller it was a little over $20 to do myself. That may not be your case though.

Even the do it yourselfer is looking at $400-600 to accomplish this job properly. A mechanic should discharge the system, fill the system, and leak check it. The orfice tube and washer should also be changed when ever the system is emptied. They like to fail, primarily because it is such a rare event that the system is completely emptied. In most engine pulling scenarios you don't even have to do it. It is expense to do yourself but is still better then paying $1000+ for something that is not to complex.

They do sell packages for topping of your system but do not think that the gauges are accurate or something to skimp on when it comes to a job like this.

catera4me
03-27-08, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the pdf!!!

I had my car to the garage for an A/C Check and they told me it was blowing refrigerent out the back of the compressor, it held a charge for a day and half and that was it. I did a compressor change on my wifes concorde and replaced everything they adivised to change and it worked good.

Thank you again!! What an awesome site this is!!!!

catera4me
03-30-08, 07:02 PM
WOW!!!! These instuctions make it seem very simple.... In looking at the car over the weekend it does not seem as simple as they are making it out to be in the instructions. Anyone replace a compressor before and have some good tips???

lakesidepark
04-04-08, 11:03 AM
I had the same type of failure (leaking out the front of compressor). I lost my compressor when my idler pulley for the serpentine belt disintegrated and wrapped pieces of belt behind the pulley. Got that fixed but then there was no AC; UV dye made it obvious where the failure was.

I replaced my compressor at the same time I did my timing belts and mechanical water pump. I think I had to move my power steering pump out of the way at the same time.
Those instructions indeed make it sound easier than it is.

I did not replace anything else, and since the system had already depressurized itself I did not have to get it dumped. If ya noted any enlargement of the ozone hole....my bad. sorry.

That was over a year ago so my memory of details have been faded since.

xanax06
08-09-09, 06:34 PM
Wow cateraowner Thats cool of you to share your paid account with us. Thank You. :thumbsup: