: Smog-Air Pump Squellllll

gunther1000
03-24-08, 08:01 PM
My 98 has a mean high pitch noise that come on every cold start when the pump cycles for about a min... I have to think its a bad bearing or something inside it but I have yet to rip it off and try to open it. Anyone knoe if that little devil can be repaired at all or just replaced only?

I see some clips on it but think it may self destruct upon disassembly... I tried WD-40 sprayed up in there with no change but when I cave man out on it it seems to respond well...

If I pull it to one side real hard inside its rubbery mount it shuts up but zip ties dont hold it there... I know I'm trying to put a Bandaide on a bullet hole but it runs strong and only at start-up for a min. or so.

If I pinch the hose it gets louder... The breather intake disconnected didn't help anything and is not pluged in any way.

Any thoughts or past experinces here?

gunther1000
03-25-08, 11:29 PM
I'm the only one with this problem?

gunther1000
03-26-08, 09:34 PM
Still making it every day... No clue how to shut it up... No codes showing and im told summer will bring less of it.

elvin315
03-26-08, 10:30 PM
Just want you to know we're not ignoring you. I guess you must be the first with this complaint. Try asking on the Omega Owners Forum (http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl) or the VauxNet (http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=29). A larger pool of cars and owners there. Maybe they've run across this before.

Elvin

hotel21
03-28-08, 05:16 AM
On European cars, a similar noise is created by the secondary air injection pump. Its located in the front wheel arch, right side, as you stand and face the engine. Its to allow the catalytic converter to warm up quicker to reduce noxious emmissions.

Noise is not uncommon, sometimes sounds like a turbine or a jet taking off, and remedied by simply disconnecting the wiring at the pump itself. You may need to reconnect it for any emmissions testing or annual fitness test or similar, depending on what each state requires.

We just leave it disconnected....... :shhh:

gunther1000
03-28-08, 04:25 PM
does it trip any codes? that was my next step but just didnt want to trigger the evil dummy light. Mine doesnt have one lit right now and I would like to keep it that way at all cost! Thanks for the info! Mine has a bad bearing or something because it is so loud dogs cry 2 miles away...

hotel21
03-29-08, 05:23 PM
No codes are thrown. Disconnect and listen in peace............

gunther1000
04-01-08, 02:55 PM
I did disconnect it and boom, next day first code ever... Replugged it and disconnected battery for about 5 mins... no more code. Why would it not trip a code on your car? Does anyone know what is used to sence the air flow? I think it may be the O2 sensor reading to high when cold or something like that... It was 2 days of nic quite mornings though!

Brosepe
04-01-08, 09:32 PM
Does anybody know what the pump looks like? Maybe have a pic they can post. I can't find mine when I look.

elvin315
04-01-08, 10:09 PM
1. Air Cleaner
2. Secondary Air Pump

http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/7448/2374814800048927869S500x500Q85.jpg

Elvin

gunther1000
04-07-08, 02:16 PM
it will be found on the drivers side under the front fender and in front of the tire wheel well. I Was forced to reconnect mine and no more code or lights... wish there was a way to find out for sure why someone has had no codes trip but then again these cars are very advanced. The amount of electrical gagets is amasing...

gunther1000
05-15-08, 03:49 PM
Update, After removal and total disassembly, the pump is tip top, it m ust be the control valve because the pump makes the noise under strain from being held back. The valve is not opening all the way and then it squels.

if I put some vacume to the valve it opens and reduces the noise. I tried checking for a vacume leak but none were found. any help on locating that part some where? the control valve that is...