: Some water on exterior of exhaust?

AlmostAV
03-24-08, 06:42 PM
After headers got put in, and cats removed, I have moisuture/water build up outside the exhaust under the car. Im pretty sure theres no leak, and Im untuned (maybe a tune will solve it) What is this from, and how can I correct it?

CTSV_510
03-24-08, 08:00 PM
the WHOLE exhaust, or just pieces? whats the weather like?

heavymetals
03-24-08, 08:02 PM
Probably A/C condensation runoff.

GMBOUND
03-24-08, 08:43 PM
Is it green?

Dennisscars
03-24-08, 11:34 PM
If it's coming from a exhaust pipe joint particularly after start up it's a byproduct of combustion.. it's high school chemistry, not broken..

Google finds all...
The main purpose for adding oxygenates to fuels is to promote more efficient combustion under adverse engine conditions. These conditions include cold starts or fuel-rich operations, when a substantial amount of fuel may escape the engine unburned. The extra oxygen in the fuel helps to convert CO (a product of incomplete combustion) to carbon dioxide. To a lesser extent, the extra fuel-bound oxygen may help to convert hydrocarbons, also formed as products of incomplete combustion, to carbon dioxide and water.

nikon
03-24-08, 11:38 PM
Stupid question.....it is raining??? Or did you happen to drive through a puddle :p

AlmostAV
03-24-08, 11:45 PM
:zing: Now why would I mention this post if that was the case....?

nikon
03-25-08, 12:12 AM
lol, twas a joke...... hence the :p

AlmostAV
03-25-08, 01:32 AM
i know righht back at ya hence the ZING

ewill3rd
03-25-08, 06:54 AM
It can certainly be normal.
Water is a byproduct of combustion. The exhaust system is actually riddled with holes to let this water accumulation drain out of the components like the mufflers and the resonator.
Without converters this process won't be as evident since the catalyst helps break down the excessive hydrocarbons into water vapor.

The A/C drain is above and slightly to the left of the transmission, on humid days it will drip onto the exhaust on the left side.

Corsa is usually worse about water leaking out around the front of the resonator.
Hopefully whoever did the exhaust put the drain holes on the bottom in the rear :lol:
(if you have a corsa)

Oh and in some types of cooler weather you can get higher levels of condensation forming in the exhaust but it should only last for a short time, until the pipes heat up and the moisture is carried out.

Twitch
03-25-08, 07:03 AM
I have the same thing,,,,but I have a small leak. Can't hear it, but I know its there.