: 2ooo Catera Radio/CD shut off.

HappyWolverine
03-24-08, 05:22 PM
About a month ago started getting some power interuption clicks in the sound when playing CDs, generally when I just started the car. And now the CD player just shuts down all the time. Last night it went off and I couldn't get CD or radio to come on at all first time. Today, was cruising down the street and the CD player shut off, but the radio was fine....?

Weak battery? Bought the car in Jan, probaly sitting in the dealership for a bit, factor in a long, cold snow ridden winter. Power trunk, gas lid, everything else is fine, powerwise

With spring around the corner must get the tunes working fast. Love that Bose system.

Any suggestions appreciated guys.

Regards
D

HappyWolverine
03-25-08, 03:23 PM
On the way to work it went off, both radio and CD, every 3 - 4 minutes. On the way home it was fine.

Army_MP_From_MO
03-25-08, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a grounding problem to me. I had one do the same thing in another vehicle I owned. The raod home might be smother, keeping the ground.

HappyWolverine
03-25-08, 11:35 PM
Interesting, but there really is no connection between shut offs and bumpy terrain. Quite often it shuts off soon as it turns on in my driveway. Tonight I was on the road for an hour and it only shut off twice. That doesn't mean it's NOT a grounding problem though

???

Army_MP_From_MO
03-26-08, 07:16 AM
Strange. I see what your saying. Tough one

HappyWolverine
03-27-08, 10:31 AM
I noticed it shut off when I honked my horn and when I put the car in reverse once. But it could have been coincidence because it you pretty much can't make it through a song without it going off.

I did notice that when it goes off, it wipes out all the pre-programed radio stations.

Frustrating as hell. Not sure to take it to car stereo shop (if it's some crazy Catera issue then they won't know what to do), the dealership (who'll fist me) or my corner mechanic (if it's some crazy Catera issue then they won't know what to do).

I really got to have tunes . Never had a problem ever with a stereo EVER. And spring is around the corner

cateraowner
03-27-08, 02:51 PM
if it wipes out your pre-programmed stations then I don't think you have a main electrical supply issue. cause every time you disconnect the battery the preogrammed stations are always there. you should try and figure out how the programmed stations are stored and look at the power supply to that.

HappyWolverine
03-27-08, 07:53 PM
Again another twist...today it DIDN'T wipe out the pre programmed stations as I programed a couple.

And it seemed to short out when I stopped abruptly, and once when I reversed bUT NOT ALWAYS

I really dont want to spend hundred fixing a radio even though I love to cane those tunes.

How would I find that out cateraowner? I dont even know where to begin.

cateraowner
03-27-08, 10:12 PM
sorry I was just throwing it out there hoping some one else might know what I'm talking a bout.

sounds like you might have a loose connection somwhere. I would first suggest pull the deck and check the connections,

if nothing seems out of place try this:

pull out the deck (connected) start the car, get a voltage tester test the power supply while the deck is on.

if there is power, then go through the motions like stop, reverse anything that is stopped the deck before. see if there is constant power.. if there is then it's probably the deck. if there isn't constant power then there is a connection problem..

that's as much as I know... good luck

driving with out music sucks ass so I hope you get to the bottom of it

HappyWolverine
03-28-08, 12:41 PM
Thanks buddy, I'm going check that out, wish me luck.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the deck itself that is dying because I have zero other electrical probs, car runs like a dream, and the instances of the CD player shorting out when I honk horn or reverse car could be entirely coincidental it dies so much.

regards

lakesidepark
03-28-08, 03:35 PM
multifunction module? No one has brought that up yet?? Seems every time you add a load to the circuit (brake hard, honk horn, hit reverse lights...) it drops. Does it keep the radio on at low volume, but cuts out as soon as you start cranking it?? Search the forum for 'radio shuts off' and it will guide you down the path of hi volume, young grasshopper. And soon you will be able to leave the compound with tunes.

HappyWolverine
03-29-08, 03:32 PM
Today it worked fine ALL DAY!

Last night I gave my girlfriend a boost and it hasn't konked out once...wtf????

HappyWolverine
03-30-08, 10:32 AM
I know what it is now thanks to you guys. Multifunction switch!

Went out to dinner last night and had my wallet in the trunk. While I was parking the car the radio went down and I coulddnt get the trunk to pop, so the missus had to pay :) As well my fuel door was down too.

I was never so happy to have my car screw up even more because now I know what needs to be done.

Gonna go looking for the multifucnion today and order it tomorrow

let y'all know how it goes.

lakesidepark
04-01-08, 11:56 AM
I shorted the #12 (input) and #14 (output) pin on the module connector to bypass the low-voltage shutdown until I could get it replaced. I think it's a dealer-only part. I have yet to replace it since now I see no effect. I'll get it done someday. I think it is about $85.00.

If you are desperate for tunes you could do that to yours.

You have caught the fly. You can now go forth outside the compound.