: Road & Track comparison test: Z06 vs. 911 turbo vs. GT-R

Blackout
03-24-08, 04:09 PM
Once again the GT-R comes out on top:canttalk:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=6593

thebigjimsho
03-24-08, 10:56 PM
Hmm, if the next few comparos come out as such, I'll have to think about a new track car in the long-term...

MauiV
03-24-08, 11:03 PM
A Skyrine?

Reawwy?

Blackout
03-24-08, 11:25 PM
Hmm, if the next few comparos come out as such, I'll have to think about a new track car in the long-term...
The GT-R would make a great track car. If you have the money and the patience wait until the V Spec model comes out. It will have 550 hp and shed 500 lbs off of the base models weight

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-25-08, 01:20 AM
If I get a sports car, its either gonna have a v8 or be a Porsche. Nissan ain't allowed to make sports cars. They make (or made) some kick ass SUV's, but they aren't a sports car company.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-25-08, 01:38 AM
Actually, out of all the mainstream Japanese manufacturers, I'd say that Nissan is probably the sportiest. They've just always had a sporty feel to them.....take a look for example at how far the Z cars go back to, and how sporty the Maxima has always been, and how they had that 240sx....the only rear drive four cylinder coupe on the US market at the time...and now the Altima Coupe and Sedan...both are pretty sporty cars, etc etc.

But between the 997 TT, C6 Z06 and GT-R, I'll take the 997 TT no questions asked.

ShadowLvr400
03-25-08, 02:07 AM
I'll say the same thing here I do on my other car forums, a V8 is what speaks to my heart. A turbo 6 just does NOT feel right. As for these track numbers, I suspect that if someone were to take all these cars truly to their limits, the Nissan wouldn't win for flat out speed. I think the amateurs and unfamiliar manage better in the Nissan because it's designed to be more forgiving and more helpful. Knowing the car well matters. I think if someone who knows and loves their Vette were to go against the GTR, the outcome might change.

MauiV
03-25-08, 02:08 AM
From what I have read the Skyrine is undrivable with the driver assists turned off.

CIWS
03-25-08, 08:57 AM
From what I have read the Skyrine is undrivable with the driver assists turned off.

An F-16 is unflyable without the computers (and an F-117). They are what give it it's great maneuverability. You see drivers all the time that lose control of the vehicles, especially high performance vehicles because they have turned off their stability/traction controls. Or in the case of the Viper that doesn't have it.

What I'm waiting to see is how much these owners are going to be paying for these cars. 70K MSRP + dealership markups to get them in the limited numbers they will be imported ? 85-90K ?

Blackout
03-25-08, 09:27 AM
An F-16 is unflyable without the computers (and an F-117). They are what give it it's great maneuverability. You see drivers all the time that lose control of the vehicles, especially high performance vehicles because they have turned off their stability/traction controls. Or in the case of the Viper that doesn't have it.

What I'm waiting to see is how much these owners are going to be paying for these cars. 70K MSRP + dealership markups to get them in the limited numbers they will be imported ? 85-90K ?

If people were paying $70k+ for a GT500 and paying $100k for a new M3 then I don't see any reason as to why people won't pay markup for the GT-R instead of waiting until the price goes down.

CIWS
03-25-08, 12:01 PM
If people were paying $70k+ for a GT500 and paying $100k for a new M3 then I don't see any reason as to why people won't pay markup for the GT-R instead of waiting until the price goes down.

I absolutely agree there will be people paying the markup to have one.

I also agree with the saying that's attributed to P.T. Barnum, in all cases cited above.

Katshot
03-25-08, 12:05 PM
If I get a sports car, its either gonna have a v8 or be a Porsche. Nissan ain't allowed to make sports cars. They make (or made) some kick ass SUV's, but they aren't a sports car company.

I can't believe he actually said that.:rolleyes:

MauiV
03-25-08, 12:16 PM
Personally I have not liked a Nissan SUV since they quit importing the 2 door Pathfinder with the triangle windows.

Throw on the sport and power packages and that was a fun ride.

concorso
03-25-08, 04:24 PM
If I get a sports car, its either gonna have a v8 or be a Porsche. Nissan ain't allowed to make sports cars. They make (or made) some kick ass SUV's, but they aren't a sports car company.Funny, thats what the rest of the world use to say about GM...

concorso
03-25-08, 04:28 PM
Very true. But this argument is along the same lines as the automatic/manual argument. Sure, lots of autos/clutchless manuals are better performers then the same driver with a manual, but lots of people still buy the manual. Theres a great feeling of being in control.

The 911 Turbo is still a great driver without the electronic aids, by the way.
The GT-R is a great vehicle, an incredible technical exercise, but it still bores me to death.

concorso
03-25-08, 04:30 PM
Personally I have not liked a Nissan SUV since they quit importing the 2 door Pathfinder with the triangle windows.

Throw on the sport and power packages and that was a fun ride.I had a 91 Pathfinder 2dr with both packages that I drove into the ground...great machine.

The Tony Show
03-25-08, 05:14 PM

Stupid is as stupid does. I'll pay an extra couple hundred to get something early, but once it exceeds a few thousand it's just dumb.

Me personally, if I wanted to look at videogame style computer readouts and have a computer supplanting every driver input I make, I'll save about $69,800 and play Gran Turismo on a computer.

CIWS
03-25-08, 05:53 PM
and play Gran Turismo on a computer.

:D :thumbsup: That's where I'm getting my first GT-R. ;)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-25-08, 05:57 PM
I'll say the same thing here I do on my other car forums, a V8 is what speaks to my heart. A turbo 6 just does NOT feel right. As for these track numbers, I suspect that if someone were to take all these cars truly to their limits, the Nissan wouldn't win for flat out speed. I think the amateurs and unfamiliar manage better in the Nissan because it's designed to be more forgiving and more helpful. Knowing the car well matters. I think if someone who knows and loves their Vette were to go against the GTR, the outcome might change.

Okay, this prompts the quick story of why I would take a Porsche:

We were in a toll booth a while back in my friend's Camaro when some hot shot and his gf pull up in the booth next to us in a Corvette. We both gun it out of the toll booth and the next thing I know we have the car just about maxed out at 140 when the guy in the vette finally gives up (was a pretty close race). So here we are, just cruisin along at 140 down I-88 in the middle of nowhere and some guy pulls up next to us in a Porsche. We just cruised along for a few minutes, but then I see the front end of his car drop down and pick back up. Now I'm thinking "that F***ER just downshifted at a hundred forty!" Next thing I know this guy just takes off like a bat out of hell. My friend had his foot to the floor but there was just nothing left out of the 'Maro.

Those Porsches' may only have sixes and they may not sound like a v8, but damn are they fast.

I can't believe he actually said that.

About what, Nissan not being a sports car company or about them having good SUV's? I'd take an old pathfinder anyday.

thebigjimsho
03-25-08, 07:07 PM
Too bad neither a Porsche or Vette can take on a 4.5 Caddy!

MauiV
03-25-08, 09:24 PM
Now I'm thinking "that F***ER just downshifted at a hundred forty!" .

You cant?

ShadowLvr400
03-25-08, 09:32 PM
Downshifting at 140 isn't squat depending on your gearing. The Camaro is set kinda short compared to the Porsche, which is designed for Autobahn speeds. Heck, turn my FW into a 5 speed, and I could probably do a 5-4 shift at 140.

AlBundy
03-25-08, 10:50 PM
Too bad neither a Porsche or Vette can take on a 4.5 Caddy!

No you didn't:canttalk::tisk:

MauiV
03-25-08, 11:27 PM
AND carry 5 adults and a trunk full of stuff!!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-26-08, 01:32 AM
You cant?

Hell, I'm lucky if I can make it to 90 without my wheels flyin off. :worship: If any of you have never driven a car 140 mph, its the scariest Sh*t on the planet. In the back of your mind you know one false move and you are done for, but at the same time you are just havin so much fun wavin your hand out the T-tops that you dont want to slow down. Not to mention the fact that every dip/bump feels 10 times bigger.

I would crap my pants if I was driving this car.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_x3KR5INT5A&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_x3KR5INT5A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Jesda
03-26-08, 12:17 PM
I've done 140. 120 feels just fine for cruising, but 140 somehow feels twice as fast. The world is flying past you and you're on edge the whole time.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-26-08, 01:23 PM
I've done 132 once before. It was pretty heady stuff.

Once it gets warm again, I'm gonna do 140 in the W140 and get a picture of the speedo.

thebigjimsho
03-26-08, 09:31 PM
145 in the SHO was fun. The tail seemed twitchy.

163 in the V and it was easy. Rock solid.