: Parents suing Teachers

ABCF
03-24-08, 09:40 AM
Parents in Ontario have begun suing teachers and schools for failing students. Or for esteem issues from being held back a year. I was held back in a grade, the school went out of their way to let me, and my parents know what was happening. I deserved to be held back because I was lazy and did not do the work.

Now it's boo hoo hoo,my poor little child is being held back, it MUST be the fault of the teacher as my child is perfect.

I guess accountability is dying of faster than I had thought.

sad really, isn't it when parents have to sue a teacher for their lack of guidance they give their own child.

dkozloski
03-24-08, 10:52 AM
A child hasn't been held back in an American school in the last twenty years. Why do you think that more than half the kids can't read and write. Look at all the spelling and grammar errors on this forum. It's a disgrace.

Submariner409
03-24-08, 11:11 AM
koz,.....One of the major problems in the lower 48 is scholastic accountability and discipline. And the teachers can't and don't do a thing about it out of personal fear. Most of the kids at the local high school consider the world as their trashcan as evidenced by the stacks of Wendy's wrappers and plastic water bottles on the roads around the school, so the brats aren't being taught anything at home, either.

Send some of the worst to a school taught by the Sacred Heart nuns, the Christian Brothers, or the Jesuits. They'll find out what discipline is in an awful hurry. Any one of the three orders has no qualms about knocking the snot out of some disobedient brat.

dkozloski
03-24-08, 11:29 AM
When the hippies of the '60s counter-culture got control of the schools it was all down hill from there. They have no respect for their parents or the law and it shows in the kids they raised that are now the leaders and are even worse.

CadillacGurl
03-24-08, 01:12 PM
Send some of the worst to a school taught by the Sacred Heart nuns, the Christian Brothers, or the Jesuits. They'll find out what discipline is in an awful hurry. Any one of the three orders has no qualms about knocking the snot out of some disobedient brat.

I partially agree with this. I've gone through catholic preschool, grade school, and high school. They do definitely knock out the little brats but still these "brats" act out. They rack up detentions for not tucking their shirts in or they will act out. Sadly in my high school, if your parents donated a lot of money to the school your kid could do w/e the hell they wanted. Kid gets a detention, parents call up saying we'll donate $5K to make this detention off his permanent record + no more detentions for the rest of the year. Its complete BS. Plus you already pay like $30k or more each year. One of the biggest dug dealers in western PA was in our school! It was ridiculous... my catholic high school was a joke. People would be have sex in the weight room, people would sneak out and go out smoking in the woods. Vodka would be "water" in water bottles. My sister still goes there. She told me cell phones are being taken away since guys would take pictures with their phones of the undergarments of the girls wearing skirts. Also there was a sex video of a guy and a girl at that school taken in the weight room and sent around. It was just sick... and my sister said straight up to me she still carries her phone with her and texts in class. Heck I'd feel better if she had it on her if something happened. But yeah not all catholic institutions are bound to change the brats.

** Forgot to mention, we had the Sacred Heart nuns teach + Sisters of Saint Joseph at my high school. I'm probably one of the few that turned out ok.

dkozloski
03-24-08, 01:22 PM
koz,.....One of the major problems in the lower 48 is scholastic accountability and discipline. And the teachers can't and don't do a thing about it out of personal fear. Most of the kids at the local high school consider the world as their trashcan as evidenced by the stacks of Wendy's wrappers and plastic water bottles on the roads around the school, so the brats aren't being taught anything at home, either.

Those days are gone for good too. Who wants those bastards rearing your kids?

CadillacGurl
03-24-08, 01:25 PM
Those days are gone for good too. Who wants those pedophiles rearing your kids for you?

:histeric: Aint that the truth....

Submariner409
03-24-08, 01:34 PM
Looks like there was a quickie noun edit up there ^^. Grade school, high school, college; I went through all 3 mentioned orders, racked up 16 years+ in Catholic institutions, and never even heard a whisper or rumor about anyone being abused. "Times, they are a' changin'."

dkozloski
03-24-08, 01:44 PM
Alaska is/was the dumping grounds for pedophile priests from all over the country for years. The church has had to declare bankruptcy here because they are unable to settle the hundreds and hundeds of claims from Indians and Eskimos with ruined lives. These claims are not from hustlers. These are people who have been saddled with real tragedy. The attitude was, what difference does it make to the aborigines? When I was a kid I stayed as far away from those characters as I could. I didn't like the weird look in their eye.

dkozloski
03-24-08, 01:59 PM
The first Christian martyr in Alaska was Father Juvenal. Some natives down on the Alaska peninsula caught him with a little girl so they sliced and diced him and scattered the pieces in Lake Iliamna. The Canadians had a similar problem in The Northwest Territories only the Eskimos killed the priests and ate them which pretty much put a stop to that monkey business for a while.

NOT ON MY WATCH
03-24-08, 02:09 PM
My wife is a teacher...was...a teacher. She has pretty much given up on the idea of ever teaching again.

I agree with koz - the problems really started with the counter-culture in the 60s - excessive questioning of authority and disrespect of authority just out of spite (I'm all for questioning authority to a certain degree, but you go too far in certain areas and you erode the ability of authority to do its job), the excesses of the 70s created many parents who didn't really "parent" their children, the 80s made many people even more self-centered, the 90s gave a lot of parents and kids too much of a sense of entitlement and complete absolution of any responsibility, and all that rolled right into the current generation.

We have a screwed-up educational system, but more important than that is the fact that many parents did not raise their children properly - instilling values such as right from wrong, teaching them to take responsibility for their actions/inactions, etc.

dkozloski
03-24-08, 02:18 PM
My wife is a teacher...was...a teacher. She has pretty much given up on the idea of ever teaching again.

I agree with koz - the problems really started with the counter-culture in the 60s - excessive questioning of authority and disrespect of authority just out of spite (I'm all for questioning authority to a certain degree, but you go too far in certain areas and you erode the ability of authority to do its job), the excesses of the 70s created many parents who didn't really "parent" their children, the 80s made many people even more self-centered, the 90s gave a lot of parents and kids too much of a sense of entitlement and complete absolution of any responsibility, and all that rolled right into the current generation.

We have a screwed-up educational system, but more important than that is the fact that many parents did not raise their children properly - instilling values such as right from wrong, teaching them to take responsibility for their actions/inactions, etc.
There is hope. Fairbanks is a military town and if you go to parent/teacher conference night 90% of the parents that show up are in uniform. If you go to any school function involving parents 90% of the people that show are in the military. They are saving our country for us in more ways than one.

RunningOnEMT
03-24-08, 02:23 PM
america needs to get off its high horse and reinstitute paddling in school, my parents whooped my butt when i did something wrong. the worst sight i remember as a child is grandpa holding his leather belt.

I knew what i was in for when i misbehaved, there are no consequences anymore.

dkozloski
03-24-08, 02:50 PM
america needs to get off its high horse and reinstitute paddling in school, my parents whooped my butt when i did something wrong. the worst sight i remember as a child is grandpa holding his leather belt.

I knew what i was in for when i misbehaved, there are no consequences anymore.
Nothing motivates like fear.

93DevilleUSMC
03-24-08, 03:04 PM
It's even getting into the military. I remember seeing shitbag recruits go up to DIs and go, "Sir, I refuse to train" (notice that he did not say "this recruit", but "I"). The DIs would leave him sitting on his footlocker. Back in the day, a DI could mangle a recruit for saying that.

Sinister Angel
03-24-08, 05:50 PM
Sir? NCO's in the Marines are called "Sir"? bahahahahaha

Prodding at Uncle Sams Misguided Children aside, the unions are a big cause of the problem as well.

dkozloski
03-24-08, 06:01 PM
Sir? NCO's in the Marines are called "Sir"? bahahahahaha

Prodding at Uncle Sams Misguided Children aside, the unions are a big cause of the problem as well.
What the hell do pipe fittings have to do with raising kids?

Sinister Angel
03-24-08, 06:39 PM
What the hell do pipe fittings have to do with raising kids?

ERrr.... my bad.

I posted that in reference to the issue of problems with school systems and shitty ass teachers.

JC316
03-24-08, 07:22 PM
Yeah, you talk about paddling in school, have you SEEN some of the kids these days? I have seen 9 year olds that have cracked the 5' mark, by 12 they can be in the 5'6" range. The biggest problem is at home, no parents.

dkozloski
03-24-08, 08:11 PM
ERrr.... my bad.

I posted that in reference to the issue of problems with school systems and shitty ass teachers.
My mother ws a teacher, my wife is a teacher. I think you actually were making a reference to the NEA teacher's union.

Red_October_7000
03-25-08, 12:00 AM
Unfortunately it's never as simple as going back to the old days. First of all you can't put the toothpaste in the tube after it's out. Second of all simply wailing the fvck out of kids for doing wrong doesn't teach them anything besides that whoever can kick there ass has to be boss simply because he can kick their ass. Real life is NOT Japanese animation and leadership abilities do not equal fighting skills. It's a sociocultural problem. The issues are not caused by lack of ass-kicking, and if it's applied too liberally it causes its own set of problems. (though I do think that there are circumstances under which it's appropriate) Over-use of corporal punishment is a problem, not a solution. The culture has changed, and it's brought with it a new set of problems.

Sinister Angel
03-25-08, 12:02 AM
VOWh6mSsIvE

ShadowLvr400
03-25-08, 02:17 AM
I won't send my kids off to any public school, and I doubt any private schools. The public system is a complete waste of time, so I won't even bother discussing it. As for these kids who have no rules of conduct, no morals, no control, etc. I won't blame the media, or society, or the schools, or role models. Your first and best role model should be your parents. Your moral code, ethics, rules of conduct, should start at the parents, plain and simple. The sad thing to me, is way too many people are genetic donors, but parental absentees. When family values are kept by actual families again, and the parents of kids actually offer parental guidance and take responsibility for the kids, then we can see about public schools again.

93DevilleUSMC
03-25-08, 02:41 AM
It's even getting into the military. I remember seeing shitbag recruits go up to DIs and go, "Sir, I refuse to train" (notice that he did not say "this recruit", but "I"). The DIs would leave him sitting on his footlocker. Back in the day, a DI could mangle a recruit for saying that.

We called everyone "sir" as recruits: only Marines get the privilege of using rank when talking to someone.