: Steering Issues, Please Help Newbie

dbarnard67
03-23-08, 11:19 PM
Hey guys new the forum. This is the first Escalade I have owned and have been searching for over 4 hours on my issue. Well Here is goes:
I have an 02 AWD Escalade, runs fine, but after driving for about 20 to 30 minutes when I turn the wheel sharp to either side, like pulling into a parking space, the wheels start to grab and hop. First I thought it was the hub and bearing assembly so just replaced those but it is still doing the same thing. Any Ideas???? I would appreciate any help.

Eldo1953
03-24-08, 12:00 AM
Sounds like something wrong with the front diff...

hcvone
03-24-08, 08:27 AM
Welcome to the Forum. Check your power steering fluid level, and as said I would also check and change your front diff fluid, that would be a good start.

dbarnard67
03-24-08, 11:52 AM
Thanks, will check the fluid in the diff and let you all know. Power steering fluid was fine, so I will focus on the front diff. Thanks again for the quick replies.

Guyz1996deville
03-24-08, 01:11 PM
If you haven't driven a four wheel drive truck you might be just feeling the pull of the All wheel drive. Say for example you are pullin into parking spots in a parking garage it is always noticable. You might be feeling the pull from the front or the push from the rear...

91sonomast
03-24-08, 03:06 PM
its possible you have worn out tierod end links, your tires could be part of the issue, also the front diffs on these have a slight history of falling apart(bearings). i would NOT suggest rebuilding the front diff unless you have a STRONG background in differentials and have all the GM specs. i have been working on cars for 7 years, tinkered with differentials a few times in the past 3 years, and i am still not confident enough to tackle a escalade front diff by myself. they are SUPER complex and have to be setup just right or they will grenade. i have been watching people and asking questions when i have free time at work and people are working on the front diffs and trying to learn.
when the bearings mess up it causes the carrier to beable to move side to side and binds up causing jumping/hopping when turning at low speeds.

producerman
03-25-08, 03:54 PM
I agree it might just be feeling an all wheel drive grabbing.

In my experience with any 4 x 4 is if it is fully turning and turning on dry concrete or pavement you will feel a hop or a pull or a bounce.

My 05 ESV AWD only has 25K and no diff problems and does the exact same thing, only slightly and only when the wheel is completly turned one way or the other.

Hope it helps.

dbarnard67
04-09-08, 10:32 AM
Wanted to update where I am now. I have changed the diff to synthetic, I have driven a 4WD before and it does seem like the grabbing but this a lot more pronounced. Almost like the tires are binding and shuddering when turned all the way. I do hear what I believe is a moan when the wheel is turning anything past 60% of the turning radius. I believe the diff to be OK, but am wondering about the power steering pump. The only reason I ask is that every once in a while when I go to turn it almost feels like I have no power steering for a quick second and then it kicks in. Plus this grabbing only happens when the truck has been driven for about 15 minutes or more. Not when it is first started.

The Scientist
04-09-08, 11:51 AM
If you really think the power steering has something to do with it then bleed the system. May have some air trapped. But that wouldn't cause the bouncing or wheel hop.

dbarnard67
04-09-08, 12:18 PM
Wondered about that. This one has me stuck. What about the steering gear box?

The Scientist
04-09-08, 12:47 PM
Doubt it. You aren't hearing any whining or grinding. And no problems except when making extreme turns at low speeds. Seems like just an AWD thing that you aren't use to. I felt the same thing when I was trailering my car when I first started driving my EXT. I was like "Hell yeah!!!". Just keep an eye on it and keep doing proper maintaince. Just out of curiousity if you have stability control, turn it off and see what happens. Also drive around in tight circles a big parking lot at different speeds then do it on gravel. Bet you will see a difference in how the front end pulls in different situations.

dbarnard67
04-09-08, 12:53 PM
I'll try those suggestions. I appreciate the help. Just beating myself up on this and haven't had a AWD/4WD do this like the Escalade is doing it. I'll post back tomorrow what I find out.

dbarnard67
04-09-08, 05:38 PM
Ok, did the above test and with the stability track off, not near the jerking in the front. Must be the AWD, just never have had one hop that much before.

getlade247
05-22-08, 02:41 PM
My 02 escalade has the same problem..i dont get much of a HOP but when i turn fast at very low speeds , the sterring seems to stop for a quick second. (pulling out /in of a parking spot. and when turning around corners i hear a moan. does anyone have any ideas? My power steering fluid is fine.
thanks guys!!

dbarnard67
05-22-08, 05:48 PM
OK, have some updates on this. The truck only does this after I have been driving it for a while. and then it really jerks. I also hear what I believe to be a grinding sound after I have stopped or am rolling slowly??? Almost the sound when you have a caliber hung up, but brakes look good. I am going to be taking a trip this summer and don't want any issue with it when I'm gone. Had a guy tell me the viscus clutch could be out of the transfer case, but wasn't completely sure. I'm hoping to do some more testing this weekend.

cadillacroadside
05-22-08, 06:18 PM
that could very well be your problem, there has been a few bulletins on this situation, if you are turning on dry pavement and it feels like the vehicle is dragging your viscous cluth might have unwanted apply, if you suspect this the this to do is change your transfer case fluid to the new autotrac fluid, drive seven to ten times in a figure 8, drive normal for a few miles and see how it worked for you. if it seemed to get better you might have lucked out, most times the clutch will eventually need to be replaced