: Whistling Wind noise Update. Solved ?

Dif
03-23-08, 11:24 PM
First, am skeptical about my latest attempt to solve some or all of my wind noise because I tried so many things without success.
But it seems I eliminated the noise.. Specifically the whistling at least.
I have a 07 EXT and couple days ago I pin pointed the Whistling to be coming from the roof.
It has been a loud whistling and sounded like it was inside the vehicle.

So,.. I moved the cross slats on the roof rack to different positions.
I had them both as far back as they could go against each other.

I left the rear slat all the way to the back as far as it would go.
But moved the front slat to the middle of the roof, an equal distant between the front and the back of the roof.
Took it for a test drive: low and behold, no more "whistling" wind noise. :eek:
Even at 85 mph in the latest weather pattern: 30 degrees with 30-35 mph winds.

It's been 3 days now since I repositioned the roof rack slats and I haven't had any Whistling wind noise no matter how fast I go.

If someone else would please try this and post their results, it would be nice to know what happens.

I will continue to test and see if the Whistling returns, but so far so good.
I'll update if the whistling returns or not,...my fingers are crossed. :rolleyes:

Boombotz
03-23-08, 11:54 PM
Also post if you have a EXT, ESV, or Regular.

Good find, Hopefully thats all it is.:thumbsup:

scottlma
03-24-08, 12:49 AM
Dif: Was your whistling on both drivers and passengers side ? Mine is only whistling on the driver side (at least my wife said it didnt sound like it was coming from the passenger door) - but i will certainly try this tommorow !

Dif
03-24-08, 01:28 AM
Boombotz.. good point. .:thumbsup:

scottlma, if you mean the front Driver and/or Passenger doors,..I never had any whistling noise from those areas.
I used to get just regular wind noise entering the vehicle before I put some extra weather stripping on.
I still get some outside wind buffeting noise from my front driver mirror area. But it's not real bad.
My whistling noise always seemed to come from the back and roof.
Never sounded like one side or the other though. Just the back roof area.
What made me think of checking the roof itself was,.. the noise was louder when I opened the Sunroof "shade". Not the sunroof glass itself.. just the sliding shade.
It got a "little" quieter when I would close it.

On another note:
When I first started looking at the roof for the whistling, I noticed the (EXT) spoiler which the rear brake light is in, has a gap about 1/4" wide between the end of the roof and the spoiler itself, where it is bolted on.
I sealed the gap over with tape and took it for a test drive and did not get any whistling noise.

I pulled into a highway rest area.. took off the tape and when back on the road,.. still no Whistling wind noise.
At first I was confused .. why didn't the wind noise come back after removing the tape?

Here's what happened:
I forgot that before I tested it at all, I repositioned the roof rack slats at the "same" time I put the tape on and then tested it.
Instead of first trying one thing or the other by itself.

So, as of now, with only the slats being repositioned, there is no "whistling" wind noise.

hcvone
03-24-08, 10:23 AM
Was the whistling an option?????? My trucks do not whistle :(

Dif
03-24-08, 11:46 AM
Was the whistling an option?????? My trucks do not whistle :(
HI Carl, ya I think that option came on the trucks when GM was offering the free Nav discount.
Whistling Package deal, Free of charge :bouncy:
I'd complain to GM about that. Looks like you got ripped :eek:

hcvone
03-24-08, 12:34 PM
The last few weeks my newer truck has some wind noise from the top of the door on the drivers side, passenger side is dead quite, and my older truck is very quite, I guees we will get rid of the newer one first, not the plan, but the plan keeps changing anyway. ;)

Dif
03-29-08, 07:07 PM
It's been another 5 days and have not had any whistling noise since moving the roof rack slats to the new positions.
Today we've got 30 degree tempreature with 30-35 mph winds again.
Took it for another test drive and still no Whistling wind noise.
Sure seems like it was the roof rack slats causing it :)

Funny thing is, I would subconsiecely know how fast I was going when I had the wind noise when it started to get real loud.
Before, anything between 70-80 MPH it would start to get loud and continue to get louder the faster I went.
Now I have to watch the Speedometer because I end up hitting 90 without knowing it since there's no Whistling noise as a warning :eek:..

MReiland
03-30-08, 02:57 PM
Not sure if it will help anoyone, but I drove a Captured Fleet (Pre-Production) model about a year and a half ago that had the whistle noise above the drivers head that sounds similar to the one posted above. They replaced the whole roof rack trying to fix the problem (didn't fix it, we also moved the crossbars back and forth looking for it) and it turned out to be......... a gap between the headlights and grill. The techs put in a piece of weatherstrip there and the problem was solved. It would be interesting if there were any changes in this area between the 2007 and 2008 models to correct this.

Dif
04-03-08, 03:07 PM
Bumping this thread for Scottlma ;)
Scottlma, let us know if this thread helps your whistling noise.