: My EXT was stolen & recovered - Need security advice!

DaveH28
03-23-08, 11:02 PM
Well this is actually my first post on this forum, but I have been reading for several months.

My 04 EXT was stolen about 3 weeks ago, recovered the next day, and back in my possession 2 days later. I consider myself lucky, as when I got it back it was mostly intact.. I figured it would be completely stripped. They did get my TVs and DVD player but did not get anything else.. and I do have 22"s, navigation, and a custom grille. Unfortuneatly they tore up my seats pretty badly in taking the headrest TVs out.. And of course they got in through the drivers door lock and messed up the ignition pretty bad too..

So now I have the truck back, pretty much all back to normal, and I am looking to put as much added security on it as I can... I am going to change the L/F handle to one that does not have a lock cylinder, I am going to put jimmi jammers on it, a hood release guard, and I am strongly considering getting a RAVELCO.. I may even put a secondary kill switch on it just for my own peace of mind... The only thing that sucks about the ravelco and the kill switch is that I will be unable to use my remote start anymore!

I just wanted to know if anyone else has any other suggestions or comments as far as added security.. I was a fool to think the factory anti-theft would be sufficient.. It obviously did nothing to stop the theft of my truck... I know that they still may be able to get in, but I don't want them to be able to move the truck... I have thought about LoJack as well but that's only going to help me once the truck is gone...

The other thing I have to deal with is that my wife also has an 04 Escalade so I will probably want to make all the same security upgrades to that one too.. But I don't know if that one is as much of a target as it does not have any accessories or aftermarket equipment..

I have found the threads on this site very informative, and I found many about escalade theft.. Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!

pak
03-23-08, 11:29 PM
Lojack with early warning is all you need IMO. I have it on all my cars and will go with no other security device/system. If you get the complete package with all the warranties, its about $1500.

--pak

hcvone
03-24-08, 09:31 AM
It sucks that it was stolen, but at least you got it back, some people just suck. :( If they really want it there is not much you can do, lojack and better alarm systems help

DaveH28
03-24-08, 10:13 PM
I think I am going to get LoJack as well, because I was lucky to recover my truck this time but may not be so lucky if it ever happens again..

What bothers me about the early warning system is that it is not instantaneous notification -- according to the lojack website it takes approx 15-30 minutes once your car is moved before you will be notified (says no more than 1 hr). To me that's really not fast enough -- when my truck got stolen I figured it out within 35-40 mins of it being gone -- by that time it was too late for me to go try and find it. If this thing would let me know within like 1-2 minutes it would be worth it..

Anybody have any thoughts of doing a ravelco vs. a home-made kill switch? or both?

Thanks!
Dave

JD001249
03-25-08, 10:05 PM
I do not have a security system on mine at all but I have done some research since reading your post. I would do the Ravelco, it seems like the most thought out idea. As stated on their site, it will not curb smash and grab breakin's but it will keep your car from moving once you take the piece out of the Ravelco. As soon as someone in STL starts to install these I am going to get one.

Good luck and let me know what you decide to do and if you are so inclined, costs of the option you picked.

DaveH28
03-25-08, 10:32 PM
Well I decided to go ahead and get the lojack installed today. I ended up getting the early warning system because I got a good deal on the whole package... Would you believe I put in a call around 2:30 PM to see when they could install it, and they had someone out to me at 4:00 PM! Now that's fast service!

Anyway I feel a little better already.. tomorrow my handle comes in that has no lock cylinder on it, and I am still going to do the jimmi jammers...

I will probably end up doing the ravelco, or hiding my own cut off switch.. I like the security of the ravelco but I like to cost of the cut off switch better!

srt
03-27-08, 01:20 AM
Yeah I'd go for the Ravelco myself!

Guyz1996deville
03-27-08, 01:51 PM
There are some good alarms that clifford makes too. I have a valet, with remote start, tilt sensors, decible sensors and the led in the dash for warning. When your alarm goes off there is a key fob that tells you the reason for the alarm to go off too. Food for thought. The lowjack is a great idea. I maybe check into the gaurds for your hood, and side doors too. I don't remember the names but someone will chime in....

DaveH28
03-27-08, 10:16 PM
I am planning on ordering the hood & door guards (jimmi jammers) from trucksecurity.com, which I found from this site.. I had never even heard of jimmi jammers before.. I credit the great info from this site for helping me find this stuff.. In fact that's how I found the ravelco too..

I was thinking of a traditional alarm like a clifford/viper, etc but it seems like they're too easy to defeat.. I guess if the alarm could page you when it starts going off then maybe you'd have a chance to run out to your truck, but if they disable it first, it's pretty much useless... What I do like about that is that I could keep the remote start.. I currently have remote start but if I put a cut off switch or a ravelco in the truck then I lose the ability to remote start.. I guess you can't have it all..

z06bigbird
03-28-08, 12:19 AM
What about a motion detector and protected battery cables (to keep them from getting cut)? It will slow down the thieves with tow trucks. (In addition to your other alarm systems.)