: bad idle

odla
03-23-08, 07:42 PM
ive searched but didnt find an answer. every once in a while my idle drops like it will die out but doesnt. gone to the dealer 3 times. last time the reprogrammed the ecu. got better for most of the time but did it worse only once. i only put in the good 93 shell v power gas. warentee runs out in a few weeks so im trying to get it fixxed before then. any help would be cool

AlmostAV
03-23-08, 08:17 PM
My car does this sometimes too.....camshaft lope? I dont know but I believe alot of people occasionally have this.....

Check these things as it might improve
1. clean/replace filter k&n drop in
2. clean maf sensor with elctrical contact cleaner
3. If you feel confident and its very easy remove the throttle body and clean it up real well.
4. check for leaks, and bolt everything up nice and snug.

Maybe check the spark plugs and wires too.

Come back and see if its not improved at least a little

trukk
03-23-08, 08:31 PM
I had an idle issue, and it turned out to be a small crack in the U shaped PCV hose that runs from the valley cover to the intake (just behind the Throtttle Body on the passenger side) You couldn't tell there was an issue until you actually removed it.

#1 thing to do is check for intake leaks, from the filter all the way to the manifold.

-Chris

The Tony Show
03-24-08, 09:01 AM
:yeah: +1 on the cracked loopback hose.

With the engine running, open your hood and wiggle on all the vacuum hoses. If you have a small leak, it will turn into a hiss when you wiggle the hose. I had a 6" split on the end of the valley breather hose same as Trukk.

trukk
03-24-08, 09:38 AM
If you can't find the vacume leak yourself, and you don't have a good local dealer, ro you are out of warrantee, then find a good local speed shp that has a smoke machine. They will hook that up to the intake tract, and pump smoke in, and it becomes very apparant where the leak is. Sometimes they can be VERY hard to track down.

-Chris

odla
03-24-08, 10:49 AM
thanks guys. its got to go back to the dealer today because i think they didnt tighten the engine mount bolts after the change them last week. ill have them take a look at the idle issue again.