: Waxing the Car

rabid
05-23-04, 03:14 AM
I wanted to get people's opinion/knowlegde on when to wax a new car.

I was told by my dealership that I could wax it right away.

My friends (who's opinions I trust a lot) tell me that I can wax it right away, but not with a wax that "seals." I would have to wait a few months for that.

Any thoughts?

Also posted in CTS forum.

ctsvett
05-23-04, 03:35 AM
I asked that very question to Sal Zaino (maker of ZAINO wax products). His reply was that based on his experience in the car paint industry (which is long and distinguished) you can wax the car immediatly. Its funny because I asked this question not realizing that my dealer actually waxed the car before delivery anyway (which I later stripped in favor of Zaino).

I lost the actual e-mail, but he explained that today's paints are applied and then baked which means that they do not need the additional time to dry (or offgas) as paints did in "the old days." Chalk it up to modern technology...

Your car has already spent time on a train, etc in transit from the factory (in most cases). When I got mine (even after the dealer wax) it has so many contaminants on the paint, I had to clay bar it 2 times before Zaino (and had black clay bars afterward as well).

Summary: All information that I have says its OK NOW.

Recommendations:
I recommend Zaino or Meguiars NXT (heard good things about NXT, but I use Zaino).
Use 100% USA towels
Claybar first if you can
Use a blower if you can (to reduce water dripping afterward),
I recommend Autoglym for the interior (works well with our elastoskin interior)
Use Microfiber on the windows (costco)
I use Stoner on the windows (available at Pep boys)

Reed

Z06CTSV
05-23-04, 09:23 PM
:yeah: And if you have hard water you may want to wash your car away from direct sunlight. I have a shady place behind my garage and it's fine. Once I put Zaino down I go back and forth between Z2 and Z5, and sometimes another brand. The more coats of wax the better.

Joe
New Orleans

Cal
05-24-04, 03:42 AM
http://www.sexwax.com/

I live near the beach so I have to use Mr. Zogs.

nupeskee
05-25-04, 12:08 PM
I used to own an Audi S4 and this site http://www.audiworld.com/forum/detail.htmlhas the best info IMHO on car detailing and products. Its very active also.

Vedder
05-25-04, 03:33 PM
Somebody attached a link to a site that had numerous detailing products and packages. Please post any links you may please.:confused:

urbanski
05-25-04, 04:02 PM
http://www.carcareonline.com/

I swear by this site.

5CTRVET
05-26-04, 09:45 PM
I have used Zaino Bros products on all my cars since my 98 C5 (which I showed almost every weekend) and absolutely love them. They are not waxes...they are polishes. They do take some time in the beginning to get the car preppes correctly and then get the first several coats on but once this is done...the car becomes almost self cleaning. I ussually just have to hit it with the Quick Detailer to get it back to show standards. I do use Stoner's Tire Shine and Invisible Glass. On chrome, I use Flitz.

Bill

ctsvinman
05-27-04, 02:20 AM
Zaino.... Zaino..... & more Zaino!!!

This from an owner of multiple BLACK vehicles over the years, Zaino is it, bar none.

The Zaino Z6 is like a drug, once you start using it you can't wait to use it again., plus it smells good. Sal sold his soul.

VinMan out.....

CVP33
06-05-04, 08:52 PM
I used Meguiar's NXT tonight for the first time. Simply incredible. I've used Meguiar's Gold, Carnauba, Nufinish, Zymol among others and NOTHING has given me the shine and cover that the NXT did. Under bright flourescent lights (in garage) I kept seeing minor swirls marks in the black finish. The NXT all but eliminated it all. Great stuff.

CADDYBLACK99
06-06-04, 10:30 AM
I too am a recent :worship: Zaino convert, I do however still use some Meguiars products :) (and love them too!). What I like about Zaino is the durability! It really hangs in there. I am still plagued by the :banghead: spiderwebbbing (blk finish). I have not tried the NXT yet is it really that good at covering swirls?
Paul

hcvone
06-10-04, 10:00 AM
I too am a recent :worship: Zaino convert, I do however still use some Meguiars products :) (and love them too!). What I like about Zaino is the durability! It really hangs in there. I am still plagued by the :banghead: spiderwebbbing (blk finish). I have not tried the NXT yet is it really that good at covering swirls?
Paul

You are using Z-5 on your black car right? Make sure your towels are in good condition, and you use a cotton wash mitt or cotton towels to wash your car, the new paints are very soft and you need to be very careful because of that. NXT looks great when first applied due to the high oil content, the only problem is that it lasts a very short time in durability

CADDYBLACK99
06-10-04, 11:07 AM
Thanks HC

My car an I spent 7 hrs together last weekend. I applied 2 more coats of z5 and z2. I now have 4-5 coats of each. I was a little sceptical in the begining but the product created a nice finish that lasts. As advertised the swirls are begining to go away. The only time you can really see them is in the bright sunlight. This first kit was a gift, I know I'll be back to you for more supplies. I would recommend (and have) to all I meet!
Paul

ljklaiber
06-13-04, 12:19 PM
At age 64, it takes me a couple days to wax my sls, but using the new polymer wax called Meguiars NXT, I have a 95 with 142000miles that looks almost showroom new. One happy ol geezer :bouncy:

Yaemish
06-14-04, 09:15 PM
They say that synthetic waxes last much longer than carnuba based waxes, is this true? Because NXT is synthetic and someone said a few posts up that it didn't last very long.

exceldetail
06-15-04, 02:52 AM
Synthetics are the products of choice in todays detailing world. One can always top with a Carnauba topper afterwards to increase durability, and protect the synthetic layer. Some synthetics will last longer than others. Prep work is the factor here though. Zaino is one of the longe lasting sythetics, but in the opinions of others, it lacks depth, and appears kind of sterile, (in their words). I have yet to use it probably wont. I have always wondered why a product that is marketed for its durability, is applied in 5-20 coats ? Not too mention $$$$.

b4z
06-15-04, 09:19 AM
exceldetail,

What product did you use on that black truck?

b4z
06-15-04, 09:22 AM
I have used NXT on my black SRX several times and it is one of the only
single application products that I have use that gets rid of swirl marks.

I have had some problems getting all of the wax off, and have some streaking that is apparent at a certain angles.

It does not seem to last long.
About 4 washings.

I am going to try the booster or put some Mother's Carnuba on top.
Hopefully the swirl marks will remain hidden and durability will
be improved.

It does look incredible though.

Msilva954
06-15-04, 09:30 AM
I bought some NXT and have not used it yet....but my GoldClass is just about shot so ill be applying the NXT in the next 2 weeks.

hcvone
06-15-04, 10:07 AM
Synthetics are the products of choice in todays detailing world. One can always top with a Carnauba topper afterwards to increase durability, and protect the synthetic layer. Some synthetics will last longer than others. Prep work is the factor here though. Zaino is one of the longe lasting sythetics, but in the opinions of others, it lacks depth, and appears kind of sterile, (in their words). I have yet to use it probably wont. I have always wondered why a product that is marketed for its durability, is applied in 5-20 coats ? Not too mention $$$$.

Most of our customers apply a coat or two 2-3 times a year, customers that apply a zillion coats are few, but there are some, but you find that with many car care products.

http://www.hcvind.com/friend17.jpg

http://www.hcvind.com/ZainoShineZ061.JPG

exceldetail
06-15-04, 12:27 PM
I used Clearkote Moosewax, and Platinum sealant on that particular Suburban....
http://www.exceldetail.com/Escalade_second_time.jpg

b4z
06-15-04, 01:17 PM
Looks terrific. How long will that sealent last with weekley washings?

My black SRX has a little bit of acid rain damage which shows up as microscopic white spots.
Do you think I should do a light wet sand on it?

exceldetail
06-15-04, 08:17 PM
Looks terrific. How long will that sealent last with weekley washings?

My black SRX has a little bit of acid rain damage which shows up as microscopic white spots.
Do you think I should do a light wet sand on it?
With Polymer products, normally speaking your good for about 2 months, maybe longer under ideal situations. As for wet sanding, thats territory i would not rather venture onto in a forum, its one of those "take a look, proceed with caution" events. I can tell you i would only do tht as a last resort option. What polishes have you tried? Progressive abrasive polishes need to be considered here....

exceldetail
06-22-04, 06:54 PM
http://www.exceldetail.com/ss_resized.jpgBlackfire.....