: Waxing the Car

rabid
05-23-04, 02:13 AM
I wanted to get people's opinion/knowlegde on when to wax a new car.

I was told by my dealership that I could wax it right away.

My friends (who's opinions I trust a lot) tell me that I can wax it right away, but not with a wax that "seals." I would have to wait a few months for that.

Any thoughts?

Also posted in CTS-V forum.

landa220
05-23-04, 08:18 AM
I remember in the old days, that if the paint was "baked" it was okay to wax it right away. Body shop repairs where the paint isn't cooked in with heat should be allowed to cure.

After a paint repair once, the body shop manager said he'd know if I waxed it prior to 90 days because the paint would crack, etc. He said it needed time for the vapors, distillates (or something like that) to evaporate or work themselves out of the paint. If you wax it too soon, they would get sealed in before they can get out leading to cracking paint.

He said at the plant and at some high end shops the paint is baked (cured)after being painted. So you can wax it right away.

Let's hope some experts are listening and can give us a better more accurate answer.

c5 rv
05-23-04, 11:03 AM
I always give my new cars and trucks a clay and Zaino treatment within the first week. No problems yet. When I had the front bumper cover replaced on the CTS, the bodyshop said not to wax it for a month.

b4z
05-23-04, 03:22 PM
I think this has been talked about before here.

Most factory paints are waterbased and are baked in an oven.
You can wax a new car if you want the day it is delivered.

repaints are another thing.
Usually they are polyurethanes(solvent based) and take awhile to completely cure. They may be put into an oven also, but I would wait 6 weeks or so to wax.