: What are you guys using for trailer brakes?

brandonppr
03-23-08, 03:59 PM
I just bought a 2007 Escalade and I will be using it to tow my race car. I need trailer brakes for it. Is it prewired? What do I need?

heymoveover
03-24-08, 02:53 AM
I got the same question too! On my 04 Denali, I bought a molex plug that plugged to a factory molex at the firewall next to the brake pedal and connected directly to my Prodigy brake controller. Is there the same factory molex in the lade?

hcvone
03-24-08, 10:19 AM
Tekonsha in both trucks, not sure which model, will look later.

heymoveover
03-25-08, 04:10 AM
So I checked the owners manual and it indicates that the the Escalade is prewired for a brake controller. The wires are loose and located under the Driver's side dash, tight behind the diagnostic plug. So I looked underneath the dash of my truck and there is was! I plan on connecting the wires next weekend. There are the four wires: Batt, ground, brake switch and brake signal to trailer. You will also have to connect the fuse for the trailer battery wire located in the fuse panel in the engine capartment.

airhammer
03-25-08, 09:08 AM
To activate the hot wire and brake controller circuits to the trailer outlet you have to hook up the harness wires at the fuse box. There are 2 wires with female connectors rolled up and taped to the harness wrap leading to the fuse box. They connect to the exposed terminals on the front side of the fuse box. They are each different sizes to make them idiot proof, or so they thought.

Evidently some of the service departments have super idiots working in them. I brought mine in to have the hot circuit enabled and after 2 attempts they hooked up the wrong one of 2. So I took my truck to a trailer outfit where they discovered the error. The old man there told me he worked on one where the service tech had drilled out the smaller diameter connector so it would fit over the larger diameter terminal thus cross connecting the circuits.

I don't know why they don't factory connect them. Just another dumb reason to visit the dealer I guess.

brandonppr
03-25-08, 12:49 PM
So you still have to buy a controller, right? You just have to have the circuit enabled to make it work, right?

I called the dealer and the service department sent me to the parts dept and the parts dept told me they don't have anything to make it work.

hcvone
03-25-08, 03:48 PM
Yes you will need to buy the controller, as said go to someone that sell trailers, they can hook it up in a few minutes

airhammer
03-25-08, 04:47 PM
So you still have to buy a controller, right? You just have to have the circuit enabled to make it work, right?

I called the dealer and the service department sent me to the parts dept and the parts dept told me they don't have anything to make it work.

Correct. I see you ran into one of the service idiots.:mad:

brandonppr
03-25-08, 05:48 PM
Correct. I see you ran into one of the service idiots.:mad:

Oh yeah..

StarQuestExt
02-15-09, 10:21 PM
Where is the BEST location to mount the Trailer Brake Controler?

Somefun
02-22-09, 08:37 AM
Guy's do these wires have to be hooked up in order to have stop tail and turn lights? I have no power at the rear plug when I pluged in my trailer for the first time? I don't need a brake controler set up as my trailer has surge brakes.

airhammer
02-22-09, 09:35 AM
Yes, the plug power wire needs to be hooked up to the exposed power terminal on the fuse box. See post #5