Cadillac Owners Forum banner
986 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  lochenjons 
#1 ·
If I put a new cam and vortec heads, along with headers and a dual exhaust in my 91 305 brougham, will my stock transmission be okay? Does it need to be modded for any power gains? (i know we're not talking 100+hp, but a gain nonetheless).

If it does need something would it be better to put in a different transmission?
(if so which one?)

~Thanks

#2 ·
How many miles are on it?

If you beat on it, it may or may not last. It all depends on how it was maintained.

I still have the stock tranny in my Fleetwood. I have put 10K miles on it since it was modded and the tranny just won't die. I want to upgrade but not until the stock tranny goes.. I am impressed :thumbsup:

#4 ·
How many miles are on it?

If you beat on it, it may or may not last. It all depends on how it was maintained.

I still have the stock tranny in my Fleetwood. I have put 10K miles on it since it was modded and the tranny just won't die. I want to upgrade but not until the stock tranny goes.. I am impressed :thumbsup:
Its got about 169,xxx miles but it was very well cared for! It is very smooth driving, except sometimes it kind of goes into reverse a little hard.

#3 ·
I have heard that the 700-R-4 Tranny is pretty bad as far as reliability compared to the Turbo 350 or 400. My Tranny mechanic told me that the 700 is their "cash cow". So when mine dies I opted for the 350, even though I lost overdrive. I have only lost about 1MPG on the highway altogether without it.
Then again, one tranny guy told me that the 700-R rebuild kit has better parts that don't go bad like the original. On the other hand, some other mechanics tell me that even the rebuild kit is cruddy, so....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.