: LED Bulb Conversion

Army_MP_From_MO
03-22-08, 11:27 PM
I'm going for a full LED bulb conversion in my Cat. I put in some Jam Straight side marker lights and they look great. Today I received my 57 LED rear turn signal bulbs 7507. I put them in and nodda. Wouldn't light up. I found that I'm going to have to put in load resistors to get them to light up. Anyone got an idea of I need a 25 or 50 watt resistor?

Cadi Cat
03-23-08, 11:53 PM
just grab yourself a multifunction turn signal relay from autozone.

cateraowner
03-24-08, 12:22 AM
reverse the polarity of the bulb... incondensent lights it doesn't mater.. but led it does. you only need to use load resistors it it's flashing too fast

Let me know if it works

Army_MP_From_MO
03-25-08, 09:19 AM
So I just need to switch the wire going into the socket?

cateraowner
03-25-08, 10:46 AM
yep.. that's what I would assume. if it's something that requires a resistor it it'll just flash really fast

if you're skeptical you can use a 12v supply and test it out. it should show that the led is directional.

Army_MP_From_MO
03-30-08, 09:32 PM
I did what you suggested and they do light now, along with the brake lights, and the third brake light flashes opposite of those. It'd be great if it was an unmarked squad car.

Cadi Cat
03-30-08, 09:55 PM
I bought the 57 Red LED bulbs for my brakelights. They look great.

cateraowner
03-30-08, 10:01 PM
sorry I don't know if i'm following..

did you change the berak lights to led too?

is the brake light and the 3rd brake light lashing alternatly from the turn signal?

my only suggestion is a resistor. the only difference from the led and normal bulb is that the leds is the lad has a much lower load. so if you replaced both turn and break lights to led, the car might not know what to do with such a low load.

I'm getting my led in a week or so, if you figure something out before then let me know. if not I see if we can work through it together

Army_MP_From_MO
03-30-08, 10:12 PM
I just started out with the rear turn signals. I wanted to see if they were what I was looking for. They do look great! I just got to figure out how to get them to work right. I think I'm going to try a resistor and see if that will work.

Cadcat, did you have to do anything to get them to work?

Cadi Cat
03-30-08, 11:24 PM
I just started out with the rear turn signals. I wanted to see if they were what I was looking for. They do look great! I just got to figure out how to get them to work right. I think I'm going to try a resistor and see if that will work.

Cadcat, did you have to do anything to get them to work?

No, the brake lights were plug and play. You just have to make sure the polarity is right or the light pattern will be backwards. But I used to have another vehicle I used leds for the turn signal and I had to get a new turn signal relay because the load was higher with the added circuits of the extra leds (not to say its using more power because they don't). Instead of lighting two lights (which the factory relay is capable of handling) the relay is overloaded with the extra lights to illuminate that's why it won't flash. It just stays constant on. So I think if you just go to autozone and buy a new turnsignal relay for mutipule lights it will work. It's the same concept as towing a trailer or something adding extra turn signals

Army_MP_From_MO
03-31-08, 09:02 PM
How do I check the polarity? My problem is that with the wires hooked up like they would from the factory they wouldn't light up at all. When I rewired it at the socket they began to flash, so did both brake lights, very faint and the third brake light began to flash opposite of those. Are you saying if I replace the flasher relay it will fix all of this and I can rewire back to original configuration?

Cadi Cat
03-31-08, 10:16 PM
First of all you don't want to rewire anything! This is why the other lights are flashing. Secondly is the bulb dual power or single? If it's single power you don't need to worry about the polarity. Just plug it in and go. And since you are putting leds in the turn signal you only need a single powered bulb. But it should stay lit. A dual powered bulb will not work in a single powered socket. And if it does it won't opperate properly. Do the other turn signals flash or light up?
Here is my LED brake/tail light. It's dual power.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/mcclewj/0331082149.jpg

I have a 2000 and the turn signals are factory led panels. So posting pics of mine won't help you any. How about turning on the hazzard 4-way signal? Does it flash or light then? You don't need to mess with any of the factory wiring. You're gonna end up like that guy I see on the road with turn signals for brakelights and reverse lights for turn signals and brake lights for.....well you get the point, haha.

kmcatera00
04-01-08, 01:44 AM
Cadi Cat - I have a 2000 Catera Sport and want to make the Tail/Brake LED conversion to match the turn signals. Where do I get these bulbs? My only hesitation in installing these bulbs is that I am afraid that they will appear as "bright clump" and not illuminate the entire area the way the regular bulbs do. Does that make sense? How do yours look? Any pictures you have of the brake lights w/the conversion would be appriciated. Although, it may be hard to capture in a photo. Thanks for your time! - kmcatera00

Cadi Cat
04-01-08, 02:52 AM
I got these from ebay. They really do illimunate the entire housing. It really looks awesome. You can also see the top layer leds in a circle but that even looks sweet. I only bought one to try it out because I was skeptical but I'm definatly buying one for the other side. I also have them in the reverse lights. Those are also really bright. I tried to take a piture but it's nothing but blur. Weird thing is though the brakelight led only works when the bulb it NOT anchored. So I gotta figure out how to keep it from vibrating out.

ARMY this may be your case. Try just setting the bulb in the socket not anchoring it in and see if it works. I just realized this out myself tonight by playing with it.

MichBiz
04-01-08, 08:58 AM
Cadi Cat, what color did you buy? Some sites I see recommend the Red bulb and some recommend White. With Red I feel as if it might not be bright with the Red Tail Light lense but with White I think it might turn the color purple due to the bluish tint of the while LED. I might be crazy... HAHA!

Army_MP_From_MO
04-01-08, 02:00 PM
I got these from ebay. They really do illimunate the entire housing. It really looks awesome. You can also see the top layer leds in a circle but that even looks sweet. I only bought one to try it out because I was skeptical but I'm definatly buying one for the other side. I also have them in the reverse lights. Those are also really bright. I tried to take a piture but it's nothing but blur. Weird thing is though the brakelight led only works when the bulb it NOT anchored. So I gotta figure out how to keep it from vibrating out.

ARMY this may be your case. Try just setting the bulb in the socket not anchoring it in and see if it works. I just realized this out myself tonight by playing with it.

He's right they do look sweet!

I'm going to give that a try. It's a single connector so that sould be the correct bulb.

I just rewired it back to the original configuration, the original bulb lights up now. It sounded a little off the wall, but I gave it a try. (Mark that on off the list, doesn't work) I wonder if they changed the flasher in the 2000 from the one in 1999. I got mine off of Ebay too. The 57 LED was the largest I could find that I thought would fit. I eyed a spiderlite but I don't think it would fit the brake light housing.

Army_MP_From_MO
04-01-08, 02:06 PM
Weird thing is though the brakelight led only works when the bulb it NOT anchored. So I gotta figure out how to keep it from vibrating out.

Rubber cement around the top of the socket?

Cadi Cat
04-01-08, 05:25 PM
Cadi Cat, what color did you buy? Some sites I see recommend the Red bulb and some recommend White. With Red I feel as if it might not be bright with the Red Tail Light lense but with White I think it might turn the color purple due to the bluish tint of the while LED. I might be crazy... HAHA!

I thought I read somewhere that they recommend which ever color your lens is. I bought red for the brakelights. They are just as bright as the regular bulbs but the color is much more vibrant. It really brings out that candy red color! For my reverse lights I bought the super high powered leds because they are smaller and the regular white led bulb was too large to fit in the housing. They are definatly high powered! They are brighter than the factory. Nice when I'm backing in the dark.

Cadi Cat
04-01-08, 06:07 PM
Well here are some photos. It's the best I can come up with. But at least you can see that they really light up the entire housing.

Brakelight:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/mcclewj/0401081735.jpg

Running light:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/mcclewj/0401081734.jpg
The running light on the trunk lid is still a filiment bulb. I can't find an led to fit. But that doesn't really matter since it's just a running light. You can tell that there is less glare with the led.

Reverse Light:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/mcclewj/0401081733.jpg

How do I fix this? It's stays on while the car is on.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/mcclewj/0401081736.jpg

Hope this helps. This is the type of thing I enjoy doing so any questions I'm here to help. I put leds in the side markers too:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l59/mcclewj/0401081802.jpg

Army_MP_From_MO
04-01-08, 09:54 PM
which brand side markers did you pick up?

kmcatera00
04-02-08, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the pictures! They look like they match the high mount stop bar nicely. I am all bout making it look as close to a factory job as possible. I had thought about looking into having some LED pannels made for the brake/tail lights (like the turn signals) - but have no idea where to look, how much $$, who to go to, or if it is even possible.

Cadi Cat
04-02-08, 07:34 PM
which brand side markers did you pick up?

I forget but they have them at autozone. That's where I picked them up at. They have Red and Amber

Cadi Cat
04-02-08, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the pictures! They look like they match the high mount stop bar nicely. I am all bout making it look as close to a factory job as possible. I had thought about looking into having some LED pannels made for the brake/tail lights (like the turn signals) - but have no idea where to look, how much $$, who to go to, or if it is even possible.

Yeah, I've been looking for those panels too. I've come up with nothing.

eastsidercaddy
04-03-08, 03:16 PM
I LOVE the LED conversion, especially since I changed the look of my rear tail lights a bit. I love hi-tech stuff that's cheap especially the LED. I got my LED Bulbs off of a chineses manufacturer that sells them at a decent price for ultra white 30 some odd LED bubls. I got 2 for around 32 dollars on eBay. Here's a pic of them just on RUNNING LIGHTS. It looks like brake lights.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2984000-2984999/2984810_58_full.jpg

also, depending on the number of LED's your red housing may look a little pinkinsh like mine since the LED's are around 1.5 times brighter on running mode. AND INSANELY bright when braking around 2 times brighter than filament. NEVER get the RED LED's they sell at autozone or advance auto. These are actually darker if you put them in your RED brake housing. RED+RED = DARK RED. ALWAYS get the ultra brite WHITE LEDS :thumbsup:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2984000-2984999/2984810_57_full.jpg

elvin315
04-03-08, 08:19 PM
Personally, I'll stay with incandescents. Those LEDs look too bright. I know I hate following a car that has a cracked tail light lens or the brake light switch shorted. Why do I want to antagonize the drivers behind me or attract unnecessary attention from the police?

Elvin

lakesidepark
04-04-08, 02:14 PM
well...you asked...the answer? cause police and other drivers are antagonized when a light doesn't work, and the incandescents fail on a regular basis. The LED will probably last the life of the car. And you don't HAVE to get the ultrabrights, you can get those that are just a bit brighter than incandescents. They also last the life of the car. If you do match the housing color, then a cracked lens wouldn't be an issue either.

My $0.02.

(maybe I should get back to work....)

Cadi Cat
04-18-08, 10:51 PM

Here, I found something you might be interested in. But you would have to tear apart the housing and glue them in or something. Nothing I want to do but the cord simply plugs into the factory socket so at least you won't have to rewire anything.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-RED-36-LED-CIRCUIT-BOARD-LIGHT-BULB-1156-7506_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el126 2QQcategoryZ33713QQihZ017QQitemZ270229106473QQtcZp hoto

lakesidepark
04-21-08, 12:26 PM
Ok, I decided to try some LED bulbs for my brake / parking lights and my turn signals this weekend. On 97 Catera, it has this one plastic bulb mount for both bulbs in each lens. There is total of 4 wires running to the bulb mount: park, brake, turn, ground. This is what I found:
Brake / Park are the correct polarity in the socket. Plug and play (I think). More later on that.
Turn is OPPOSITE polarity in the socket. The common of the brake / park bulb (the shell) goes to the single pole of the turn bulb.
Since this is a solid piece of metal, the only way I see to properly reverse polarity is to cut the metal and solder the correct connections (simply swapping wires cannot work as the shell of one bulb and the center post of another bulb are using the same piece of metal??)

My third brake LED is not working. However I did not notice if it was working before I started. I did swap back to the original bulbs to eliminate the possibility that the LED bulb was causing a problem.

I have more investigation to do. SInce I didn't see anyone mention this, then...that is what i see, and if anyone else noted this problem with the socket polarity - can you enlighten me on how you corrected it? (97 thru 99 I assume, I didn't note any 2000 and newer having any issue).

Army_MP_From_MO
04-21-08, 07:47 PM
I got the same problems when I took advice to rewire the socket. That won't work. I've got a pair of resistors on the way that I've been informed will fix the problem. I'll keep ya updated. Wish me luck!

Cadi Cat
04-23-08, 11:23 PM
In case anyone plans on putting leds in the instrument panel. Don't waste your time or money. they don't work. I'm guessing because of the dimmer switch. I couldn't get them to light.

Po Pimp
04-24-08, 12:18 AM
Guys search in either the Deville (FWD) forum or the tech tips. I know there is a write up about converting an earlier model deville to the later style LED set-up.

Army_MP_From_MO
04-26-08, 06:07 PM
Well, the resistor idea doesn't work. I guess my only option is getting a new flasher that is LED compatible.

eastsidercaddy
04-27-08, 04:49 PM
You can put LED bulbs in your instrument panel. Get the 194Led bulbs. Here's my panel at night.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2984000-2984999/2984810_81_full.jpg:cool2:

MaesMV6
04-28-08, 05:34 PM
wow that white, i'd like to get the yellow out of my dash. what all did you have to do to get those to work eastsidercaddy?

PS: on the PM you sent me (eastsider) i don't need them anymore i ordered some from local dealership for $123 each

Cadi Cat
04-28-08, 06:15 PM
You can put LED bulbs in your instrument panel. Get the 194Led bulbs. Here's my panel at night.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/2984000-2984999/2984810_81_full.jpg:cool2:
wow that's awesome! I also bought the 194s but they won't light. hmm....:confused:

lakesidepark
05-11-08, 01:47 PM
I got the brake / park lights ant the turn signals running LED (1997 cat). The brake / park is plug and play. THe turn is opposite polarity so you do have to modiy the socket if using LED for the turn. I cut the metal strip connecting the base of the turn, and the metal strip connecting the center pole, then soldered wires to reverse that one socket. Added some glue to make sure the existing metal didn't back out when I put the strips back in. Will get some pics up later.
The new 3rd brake strip is in now so all LED except backup and license on the rear end.

Army_MP_From_MO
05-11-08, 05:37 PM
I hope that works for you. When I converted the turn signals, they blinked great when the lights were off, turn the lights on and the light show started.

lakesidepark
05-12-08, 08:11 PM
you have to chop metal to get any turn signal LED to work. You can't just swap wires. Look at the socket plate that the two bulbs plug into, you can see that the metal that touches the shell of the brake / park light does not touch the shell of the turn signal light, but touches the center pole instead. The brake / park are perfect for LED, the turn is what screws it up.

The load resistors or the electronic flasher are just for the flash rate after you get all the LED working. Mine do flash double rate now. I'm gonna try to find a flasher that will work before I go the load resistor route. Less amps to burn = happier alternator.

Oh BTW don't just go get a flasher that will fit - you will blow a fuse. 15A easily replaced. Didn't learn that one in the manual :thepan:
FYI anyone know offhand what flasher does work?

blackcat8799
05-12-08, 08:42 PM
eastsider how did u change the lights in the panel

Army_MP_From_MO
05-13-08, 07:51 AM
you have to chop metal to get any turn signal LED to work. You can't just swap wires. Look at the socket plate that the two bulbs plug into, you can see that the metal that touches the shell of the brake / park light does not touch the shell of the turn signal light, but touches the center pole instead. The brake / park are perfect for LED, the turn is what screws it up.

The load resistors or the electronic flasher are just for the flash rate after you get all the LED working. Mine do flash double rate now. I'm gonna try to find a flasher that will work before I go the load resistor route. Less amps to burn = happier alternator.

Oh BTW don't just go get a flasher that will fit - you will blow a fuse. 15A easily replaced. Didn't learn that one in the manual :thepan:

You got any pictures to show us dense folks what you are saying? I looked at the socket plate. What is supposed to be chopped?

lakesidepark
05-13-08, 06:21 PM
I am on the road this week I'll get pics up this weekend of before / after. If you are looking at the bulb side of the plate, follow the four wires from the connector. The first two go to the two contacts in the bottom of the brake/park lite socket. The third one goes to the round shell of the brake/park lite socket and also branches to the one contact in the bottom of the turn lite socket. The fourth one goes to the round shell of the turn lite socket.

I cut a chunk from the metal strips between the turn lite socket and the rest of the assembly; removed the two metal pieces for the turn lite socket, soldered a wire to each strip for the turn lite socket, then connected and soldered that wire to the OPPOSITE place where I cut the strip loose.

Yeah I know...picture's much better and I'll get it up in three days when I git home.

Army_MP_From_MO
05-13-08, 08:36 PM
Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

xanax06
08-31-08, 12:46 AM

Hahahaha, did anyone notice he's going 100mph????????
Good pic.

eastsidercaddy
08-31-08, 02:32 AM
It's made for the Autobahn, so one handed is pretty smooth! It's been since February when i took that pic!!! Your post gave me a good laugh! THanks :cool2:

AHazzardToAll
09-30-08, 12:45 AM
eastsider how did u change the lights in the panel

I 2nd this. and i was hoping to see those pix posted on the how to with the chopping this and connecting that and what not? Mabe i could try this out with some much appreciated help. Thanks.

hiiRo
11-26-08, 10:03 PM
what are the LED numbers for the left and right turn signal bulbs in the headlights?

Army_MP_From_MO
11-30-08, 02:36 PM
what are the LED numbers for the left and right turn signal bulbs in the headlights?

Catera bulb sizes
Brake - 1157
Side Marker - 194
Rear Turn Signal - 7507
Front Turn Signal - 3357
Dome Light - 6418
Glove Box - 6418
Step/Courtsey Light - 6411
Back Up Light - 1156

hiiRo
12-19-08, 10:37 AM
anyone have a tip on getting the plastic light cover off the door light without snapping the clips? :hmm:

eastsidercaddy
12-19-08, 02:48 PM
You're not going to like it, but you have to remove the lower cloth covered panel to get behind the bulb case and remove it. There are screws located inside the door where the hinge is, under the compartment where the speaker is and on the side where the end of the door is. You'll figure it out. Phillips size medium screw driver works the best. Good luck, although it's simple it's just held in by a load of screws.

eastsidercaddy
12-19-08, 03:08 PM

I might as well take the liberty to unravel all that stuff. The above quote is too far-fetched info. All you NEED to buy is simply LED turn siganls and brake lights that have atleast 20 wide angle LEDs in a 360deg fashion. That's what illuminates the reflectors. No special wiring or LED load resistors at all. Just the bulbs! Make sure to get LED bulbs that are WHITE for the brake lights. There's already a red lense there- Red LED's + Red Lense= Very little light.
Also, they must be rated for 12v-14v applications. 12v will do fine as I have these in my own car and are very bright when running and almost pinkish red when brake is on.

All you need to do to convert to LED lights with the Dash is to buy 12v rated 194 5-LED cluster bulbs. They fit right in your bulb socket and twist in.

All you need for brake lights and turn signals is use the bulb guide below. Brake Lights should be 12v WHITE 20+ LEDs in a 360deg fashion. Turn Signals you should use 12v AMBER 20+LEDs in a 360deg fashion.

Catera bulb sizes
Brake - 1157
Dash Lights- 194
Side Marker - 194
Rear Turn Signal - 7507
Front Turn Signal - 3357
Dome Light - 6418
Glove Box - 6418
Step/Courtsey Light - 6411
Back Up Light - 1156 :thepan::beer: