: 2000 N* Cracked Block & Questions

j_brujah2004
03-22-08, 12:38 AM
This is one of my first posts so try to go easy on me. I just picked up a 2000 Seville SLS that was supposed to have bad head gaskets. I got it for a good price and have done 2 N* head gasket jobs in the last year using time serts and worked out great so I thought I would get one of my own to do. I got the car home tonight and had it on the lift checking it out and found that the block was cracked on the front side. It appears to be leaking oil and coolant out of the crack. Only thing I can figure is that the previous owner filled it with water instead of dexcool and she froze and popped. I was wanting to know if I could use a 95-99 N* block with my 2000 heads using the 95-99 head bolts?? I understand they changed the head bolts on the 00 and newer blocks but if I can get my hands on an older block cheap enough and get my top end to work on it I would be thrilled.

chubbyranger
03-22-08, 07:52 AM
I don't believe you can interchange across those years - I think you have to use 2000+.

There is some interchange information from AJ here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/122168-gm-now-offers-premium-remanufactured-4-a.html

CadillacSTS42005
03-22-08, 12:04 PM
cant use an older block i believe
must be a 00-05

cant you just mig weld the sucker closed? i mean it depends on where the crack is and how sever but weve welded blocks shut before....

AJxtcman
03-22-08, 02:14 PM
This is one of my first posts so try to go easy on me. I just picked up a 2000 Seville SLS that was supposed to have bad head gaskets. I got it for a good price and have done 2 N* head gasket jobs in the last year using time serts and worked out great so I thought I would get one of my own to do. I got the car home tonight and had it on the lift checking it out and found that the block was cracked on the front side. It appears to be leaking oil and coolant out of the crack. Only thing I can figure is that the previous owner filled it with water instead of dexcool and she froze and popped. I was wanting to know if I could use a 95-99 N* block with my 2000 heads using the 95-99 head bolts?? I understand they changed the head bolts on the 00 and newer blocks but if I can get my hands on an older block cheap enough and get my top end to work on it I would be thrilled.

Location?

I have a block, heads, new crank, 5 plus sets of rods, oil pan, oil pump pick up for 2000 to 2003. many more parts for both types.

Ranger
03-22-08, 05:06 PM
AJ, Is it possible to weld that crack?

AJxtcman
03-22-08, 05:36 PM
AJ, Is it possible to weld that crack?

I did and I still have the block. I would do it again also. I would have to make sure that it is not cracked from stress or freezing. If it has a bad casting that is leaking or one that started leaking after time. I would feel ok about welding it.

j_brujah2004
03-23-08, 05:41 PM
Location is southern illinois in the carbondale area. Would prefer to find a complete engine or short block if possible without breaking the bank.

codewize
03-24-08, 10:24 AM
That really sucks. I know what it's like to think you're getting into one thing and end up with something completely different.

The good news is that these parts / engines / etc are becoming more readily available. I think you're assumptions are correct with the freezing and I think you'll be fine with your efforts.