: Would you buy this car?

ted tcb
03-21-08, 03:54 PM
I'm not in the market for a 3rd car.
We have a 4wd Tribute for the winter, and my 2000 LS400,
which I'm never getting rid of.

My mother bought a 1999 Regal new in May of 99.
She now wants to trade it for a Buick Allure, simply because
its a newer car.
Her GS is white with grey lower trim, loaded with heated leather, sunroof, polished chrome
rims, etc. The car retailed for about $35k Cdn.
Garage kept, only 27,000 miles ... literally driven to church by a senior.

She's had to put some money into it last year. The climate control unit failed, as did the ignition cylinder, and she just put on new Michelins and brakes.

The dealer will give her about $5k ... if I add her trade tax benefit, I'd grab it
for $6k. I think the Dexcool is still original, but I think the SC motors had a steel plenum which held up fairly well against intake gasket leaks.

I don't need this car, but I could keep it as a winter driver and park my rwd Ls400.
Any thoughts on the deal?

Jim C
03-21-08, 04:30 PM
Sure would!
They are nice cars, if not the most exciting...

If is was an LS, probably not...but it's a GS, so yeah, Grab it.

orconn
03-21-08, 05:16 PM
One of the better sleepers of the 90's. Since you know the history, I'd save the LS400 from the Canadian Winter and still have decent transport for the salty months. Seems like a no brainer!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-21-08, 06:38 PM
Hell yeah I would buy it! The Supercharged W-Body is one heck of a great car, whether or not it's your main vehicle.

You'll fall in love with the power and the reliability, and the luxury features too! It's a nice car, but not too nice, so you won't feel bad driving it in the snow and getting it all dirtied up.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-21-08, 06:45 PM
Its a GS and its practically a brand new car, go for it.

ted tcb
03-21-08, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I'm basically waiting for her to pull the trigger on the 08 Allure, then I can
proceed.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-21-08, 08:49 PM
What's a Buick Allure?

caddycruiser
03-21-08, 08:57 PM
What's a Buick Allure?

Known as the Buick Lacrosse here and in China, but for Canada, the word Lacrosse has negative slang meanings...so they call it the Allure up there:thumbsup:

Any thoughts on the deal?

And yes, I'd buy it too as a near new "daily" car with a lot of power and durability, and if you were closer...I might even do that myself, hah;)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-21-08, 09:05 PM
Known as the Buick Lacrosse here and in China, but for Canada, the word Lacrosse has negative slang meanings...so they call it the Allure up there:thumbsup:

Oh I know what it means......:shlick:

ted tcb
03-21-08, 09:50 PM
Oh I know what it means......:shlick:

Apparently, Quebecois don't want to drive the english eqivalent
of the 2008 Buick Jerkoff.

caddycruiser
03-21-08, 10:30 PM
Apparently, Quebecois don't want to drive the english eqivalent
of the 2008 Buick Jerkoff.

Yes, however odd!

So many things can be made slang...it's still odd to me that they even cared to bother with a second name just because of one area and a possible funny meaning. Like it's the only car name people can make something else out of...oh well.

Regal for you. Only negatives I can think of is "old GM" as far as the interior quality and styling, and also that the 3.8L S/C can be efficient but also needs premium, so it's a little tradeoff for the extra juice.