: Just when I wasn't even looking... there it was.

AMGoff
03-21-08, 04:33 PM
I am an impulsive, impetuous child...

So I went up to this car lot this morning to check out a Buick Reatta, but it turned out it was going to need a bit more work than I thought. So I was just about to leave when something caught me out of the corner of my eye... it was a 1989 Eldorado, 110K-odd miles, good engine, good body, good interior, and drove good, asking about $2K. I told the guy I'd give him $1700 for it, which he said he thought was too low and he'd have to check with the owner. So I left him my number, told him if he reconsiders to give me a call, and left.

Well... needless to say, by the time I had finally made it home, there was a message on our machine from the owner of the place, looks like I'm the only one in the past month that's even wanted to look at it. So it looks like once the wife gets home I'll be going to get my "new" Cadillac...

Here's a few pics of the old gal:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2017/2349746733_18a7d3c271.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2301/2349746741_c81579c47f.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2309/2349746747_dc1441dfd5.jpg?v=0

ted tcb
03-21-08, 04:42 PM
Great buy.
The carriage roof really works with that medium blue colour.
I especially like the blue piping on the white leather seats.
At the price you paid, you cannot possibly go wrong with that car.
Congrats!

AMGoff
03-21-08, 04:51 PM
You know... I normally HATE any carriage/roadster/landau type roofs on cars. I'm constantly on the lookout for a '91-'93 Coupe Deville, but it's damn near impossible to find one with just a regular roof - I've only found one in my area and for one - it's white, which I don't like, and two - the bastard wants $10K for it.

With that said... it must be the overall color combination, because I really like the look of this Eldo. That white roof looks great with that shade of blue, especially with those whitewalls. But it was that blue piping on those white leather seats that was the clincher for me... I was absolutely smitten.

ted tcb
03-21-08, 05:04 PM
Yep, those seats, especially with the ribbing, almost look like they came out of
an Allante or Sixty Special.

Its a shame that every modern day Cadillac has a black, shale, or grey interior.
Those 1989 seats had serious style to them ... I don't know if the skinny backs give comfort, but they look amazing.

I searched Ebay, and every Eldorado from 1988-1991 has solid colour seats, without the piping. Yours appears to be very rare. I'd love to have the digital instruments, too.

Here's a twin to your car, and they want $4200 for her.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gorgeous-LO-MILEAGE-El-Dorado_W0QQitemZ320229317859QQcmdZViewItem?hash=it em320229317859

Jim C
03-21-08, 05:33 PM
Very nice. That blue and white combo is sweet.
Good find. Good price, too.

Night Wolf
03-21-08, 05:57 PM
You know... I normally HATE any carriage/roadster/landau type roofs on cars. I'm constantly on the lookout for a '91-'93 Coupe Deville, but it's damn near impossible to find one with just a regular roof - I've only found one in my area and for one - it's white, which I don't like, and two - the bastard wants $10K for it.

With that said... it must be the overall color combination, because I really like the look of this Eldo. That white roof looks great with that shade of blue, especially with those whitewalls. But it was that blue piping on those white leather seats that was the clincher for me... I was absolutely smitten.

The landau roof on the '91-'93 Coupe DeVilles were standard, they all came withit... IIRC thru some special order you could delete it, which is what that one must have had.

Though nice find! I really like those Eldos.... I like the digital dash and the interior, the driver info center and everything. a '91 with the 4.9 would be really neat. Nice car that should give you years of motoring enjoyment :)

Of course I'm always on the lookout for another Slate Bronze Metallic '93 Coupe DeVille.... will I ever find one, much less in good shape? Seems doubtful :(

caddycruiser
03-21-08, 06:52 PM
Cool find. Just ditch those nasty grandma wire hubcaps for a fresher set of grandma aluminum Deville wheels (same era...think like the matching car ted tcb posted), and it will be a huge improvement.

Other than the wheels and the blue...looks almost spotless in pictures:thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-21-08, 07:40 PM
You seem to like buying vehicles made in 1989. Anyways, glad to see you back in the Caddy family!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-21-08, 07:42 PM
Naw, keep the wire caps. Gives it a little class. Look for some center caps on ebay, as I see you are missing the right front one. I got 4 of them for $20.

Personally, I think these are these of the best looking Eldorados Caddy ever made. The only thing that tops it was the mid 80's Eldorado Biarritz with the Roadster package (I have only seen one and it was AMAZING). If I had stumbled across that when I was looking for my car I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Congrats.

thebigjimsho
03-21-08, 07:43 PM
Can somebody show me an uglier steering wheel than that? Wait, I know of ONE, so at least that's good.

Otherwise, nice find.

orconn
03-21-08, 09:42 PM
Were these cars any good, in the 1980's I had rejected American cars and especially Cadillacs having had such a bad experience with GM customer service in the 1970's. The seats look kind of neat .....reminds me of a Citroen SM's seats. The only people I knew hat had this vintage Seville and Eldorado were not very complimentary. The one you picked up seems in pretty good shape hope it serves you well.

c5 rv
03-21-08, 11:44 PM
I am an impulsive, impetuous child...

Heck, I am an impulsive, impetuous 50-something when it comes to cars.

AlBundy
03-22-08, 12:16 AM
Mister dirt cheap fleetwood guy you need to drive future Eldos, if you haven't. The Eldo Caddy doesn't stop at that era.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-22-08, 01:01 AM
Okay, forget my last statement. I just found this beauty on Ebay and I am salivating over it as I type. The interior is one hell of an eyecatcher.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-DTS-Fleetwood-CADILLAC-COUPE-DEVILLE-CA-RUST-FREE-84-900-ORIG-MILES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6146QQihZ015QQite mZ250226582942QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

hueterm
03-22-08, 02:03 AM
Nice! I don't think the wheel is ugly -- I'd just probably hit someone while trying to honk at them. I'd instinctively hit at the center piece instead of the horn bar.

It really looks in good shape for 19 years old and w/white leather/roof. Even if the drivers seat has some wear, the passenger seat looks hardly sat in, as does the back from what I can see. The blue seems to have held up well too. That's the good thing about the darker interior trim colors, is that they show less wear than the lighter pieces (wheel/shifter). If those had been white, they'd have long since been dark grey.

I had a '92 Toronado which was a very similar design, and really liked it. I would be willing to bet that given the age and mileage, if something was going to go out on it anytime soon, it probably would have done so already. And at $1700 you've got a lot of room to play with to fix things if needed.

c5 rv
03-22-08, 09:14 AM
Okay, forget my last statement. I just found this beauty on Ebay and I am salivating over it as I type. The interior is one hell of an eyecatcher.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-DTS-Fleetwood-CADILLAC-COUPE-DEVILLE-CA-RUST-FREE-84-900-ORIG-MILES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6146QQihZ015QQite mZ250226582942QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Too bad it has a salvage title.

Jesda
03-22-08, 10:59 AM
Nice find! Today I saw a red Buick Reatta with VIC.

AMGoff
03-22-08, 01:43 PM
Well... let's just say I'm absolutely smitten. For starters, as someone else had also mentioned, I too have always been keen on this style Eldorado... the lines are just about perfect, as are just the hint of tail-fins 'round back.

A few initial impressions:

It's really hard to believe this thing is 19 years old... everything works on it. The thing drives like a dream... it's been a while since I've been in a Cadillac of this era, and even with a relatively short wheelbase it just floats over bumps and holes. I've also figured out a surefire way to cure torque-steer... just put a really pathetic engine in it!

I think that's the only possible complaint I could make - it's slow... I mean - SLOOOWWWWWWW.

Now I'm sure within the context of it's time it was seen as relatively sprite, but today - not so much. Granted, I think it just has to do with the progression of my most recent cars... 300M (quick)... GS (quicker)... Seville (quicker still)... now '89 Eldorado (Zzzzzz...). Luckily though, I can put things in relative perspective... compared to say, oh I don't know - an '89 Grand Wagoneer, I suppose the old gal gets the job done.

Although I think I've killed my perfect garage now... I'd still like to get a Reatta, but now that we've got the Eldo I'd definitely want a convertible one... but they didn't make those until '90, so that kills my garage circa - 1989 theme! I mean, hell... I might as well keep it up... I suppose I could just try to look for an '89 Allante now... or perhaps a Brougham, who knows?

One funny aside though.... my wife now seems certain that I'm full swing into my mid-life crisis, as my garage is now full of cars I was in love with from my childhood/teenage years... an '89 Grand Wagoneer, a '75 CJ5, and now an '89 Eldo.

I told her she's lucky... if that's the case, then this is one of the cheapest MLC there's probably ever been...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-22-08, 01:51 PM
It's wierd that it's so slow. The 4.5 is a very punchy engine.

AMGoff
03-22-08, 04:16 PM
It's wierd that it's so slow. The 4.5 is a very punchy engine.

Like I said, I think it's more relative to me than anything else... compared to a GS, Seville, or even a HO 3.5 from a 300M, it feels so slow - not exactly the eternity it takes the GW to get up to speed, but slow nonetheless.

I clocked it on the iPhone's stopwatch... naught to 60 took a bit under 11 seconds. If I recall, '89 was the last year Cadillac used a throttle-body injection system on the 4.5... So power was only what, 150 or so HP when all shiny and new? And that's regardless of the fact it's been many, many moons since then, so I'm sure a few horses have escaped from under that hood since then.

With that said, mid-range grunt seems to be more than ample, but again, if I remember correctly these old things always had much more torque, at much lower revs, than sheer horsepower. I haven't clocked it yet, but the old gal seems to be in her prime from 40 to around 70.

Although, as most of you know, it's something I normally disapprove of since I tend to fall squarely into the KISS-camp (Keep It Stock, Stupid)... I am at least curious as to what sort of engine mods/swaps are possible with the old E-bodies of this particular vintage. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say swapping in a 4.5 with MPI must be the easiest, or possibly a 4.9.... Then I'm also left to wonder about the possibility of a S/C 3.8... hmmm... now I'm just getting carried away...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-22-08, 05:08 PM
I remember reading a magazine article that said the "new for '88" 4.5L Eldorados and Sevilles would do 0-60 in like 9.5 seconds, which at the time was fast compared to the 4.1L Eldos. But yeah, definitely not a fast car by any means. But they always feel so fast on the low end....so torquey.

thebigjimsho
03-22-08, 06:07 PM
In '89, 9.5 to 60 was actually pretty good. Most of the family sedans were in the 10s and the sporty ones were in the 9s. A Monte Carlo SS was in the high 7s. A Mustang GT was in the high 6s, low 7s. Which makes the '89 SHO just that more remarkable with low 6s...

gdwriter
03-22-08, 11:09 PM
If this car has been sitting for a while, a tune up may be in order. You might want to run a bottle of fuel system cleaner like Lucas Fuel Treatment (http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=26&catid=2&loc=show) (recommended by my mechanic and the people at the auto parts store I shop at). Can't hurt. Might help.

The TBI 4.5 is certainly no Northstar, or even a 4.9, but those Eldos are pretty light, so it should move around town pretty well. Torque is what these engines have in abundance.

Car looks to be in nice shape, and it looks like you got a good buy. Enjoy it.

Submariner409
03-22-08, 11:19 PM
Adam...........WooHoo !! Damn dashboard looks like a Jersey Turnpike billboard. Now you have absolutely NO excuse not to do an Eastern Shore - Easton run and a stop for oysters..........:rolleyes:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-22-08, 11:44 PM
Torque is what these engines have in abundance.

Totally. After driving Tanner's '89 SDV last summer, it never felt like it had only 155 hp, thanks to that torque!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-23-08, 02:49 AM
Mine has the 4.5 and I wouldn't say its nearly as slow as you do. I have been practicing my reaction time, launches and controlling wheel spin out of stoplights lately and I say its done pretty well. 0-30 I can move pretty fast. Just the other night I beat a Neon SRT4 (no mocking me, I'll take whatever victory I can get) 0-80 and I had a full tank of gas and 5 people who all weighed roughly 180-200 lbs.

Yeah, the power on these engines is all torque. Wikipedia specs: 165 horsepower, 270 lb. ft. torque. They are still great engines and have enough power so when you slam it to the floor, it goes. Great for merging into Chicago traffic where everyone does 80 on the 55mph interstates. :confused:

Here ya go, couldn't find one for '89, but its still the same car.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eU49ltKDXNQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eU49ltKDXNQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

And I love the song in this one.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IaZpHSnjprI&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IaZpHSnjprI&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

AMGoff
03-23-08, 01:29 PM
Adam...........WooHoo !! Damn dashboard looks like a Jersey Turnpike billboard. Now you have absolutely NO excuse not to do an Eastern Shore - Easton run and a stop for oysters..........:rolleyes:

Fantastic :thumbsup:

Minus the oysters sadly... shellfish and I don't get along so well.

And as far as the whole slowness thing goes... I'm not trying to insult the 4.5 or any of its drivers... but come on!?! Double-digit 0-60 times in this day and age is sloowww....

With the exception of that though, like I said - I'm smitten.

Oh, and Happy Easter Everyone!

thebigjimsho
03-23-08, 02:26 PM
A 4.5 Caddy beat an SRT-4? Ah, no.

AlBundy
03-23-08, 06:14 PM
A 4.5 Caddy beat an SRT-4? Ah, no.

You forgot about this part "I had a full tank of gas and 5 people who all weighed roughly 180-200 lbs".:eek: So it maybe possible.:D

thebigjimsho
03-23-08, 07:04 PM
You forgot about this part "I had a full tank of gas and 5 people who all weighed roughly 180-200 lbs".:eek: So it maybe possible.:DOf course! How dumb of me...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-23-08, 08:36 PM
Blech. 1988 was not a great year for Cadillac.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
03-23-08, 09:01 PM
85-88 was total crap for caddy, I know. But my car is my baby and I'll never let her go. And BTW, I did beat that srt4, even though its the only victory I've ever had. :doh:

hueterm
03-23-08, 10:05 PM
1988 was great for very few cars...

Jesda
03-23-08, 10:22 PM
The Allante was nice.

In 1986 MB introduced the W124.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-24-08, 01:30 AM
The '88 Brougham was nice, albeit underpowered. The '88 STS was the real treat for the 1988 Cadillac model line. The '88 Allante was nice too, but it still had the 4100.