: 2000 Deville radio shuts off after 3 seconds

crusienfloat
03-21-08, 03:27 PM
Hello,

My subwoofer went bad (rattling) and I continued to play the radio. One day, the radio (OEM) suddenly stopped. The clock continued to display the proper time. When I started the car, the radio displayed a station id for 3 seconds then shut off. There was no sound of any kind. I lost my door and key in the ignition warning chimes.

I purchased an OEM radio on Ebay and had the dealer to perform a VIN relearn on the radio. This radio has a CD player. My original radio did not hav a CD player. Now, the replacement radio is shutting down after 3 seconds just as the original radio. Is this an amp problem?

Thanks

crusienfloat
03-21-08, 03:49 PM
Anyone?

Why would two radios respond exactly the same? Did the blown subwoofer cause damage to the system?

crusienfloat
03-21-08, 07:39 PM
lol, both radios are good. I was about to disconnect the battery cables, but noticed a fuse relay box. I pulled and replaced the fuses for the audio (15) and the amp (30) and the lovely sound of music filled the car. Evidently, having the blown subwoofer connected cause the amp to shut down. The problem is solved. Thanks for all of the post regarding similar issues.

ewill3rd
03-21-08, 08:32 PM
If the amplifier will not communicate with the radio that is what will happen.
First thing to check is for power.
Next is to replace the amp. Sometimes cycling power to the amp will restore operation.
If it happens again, you likely need a new amplifier.

CadillacSTS42005
03-21-08, 08:38 PM
forgot logic reset lol

ewill3rd
03-21-08, 08:51 PM
Usually if you have logic lock like that, cycling the power is only a temporary fix.
I have restored operation to a few of them that way but I always tell the customer that next time it will probably need an amplifier.

crusienfloat
03-21-08, 09:13 PM
I am bold, I reconnected the blown subwoofer and the radio shutdown. I disconnected the woofer, pulled the fuses again, and the radio responded with music. I will replace the subwoofer.