: 586Hp Northstar, in a grand prix

misfit6794
03-21-08, 10:17 AM
Saw this on ebay, couldn't believe it. I guess you can mod out a northstar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/This-GTX-outpowers-a-Corvette-Viper-or-Lambo-Damn_W0QQitemZ130207935571QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6422Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

msta293412
03-21-08, 10:27 AM
That is AWESOME!!...I wonder WHO actually set it all up, what ECU did they use etc,etc? Man I wish that setup could fit in an STS engine bay.......FWD though, gonna have trouble launching with that kind of torque, theres more there than 99Marksts's .......

thewireman*
03-21-08, 11:23 AM
Wonder if you could ask the seller where he got all the parts for the northstar at.....?

NHRATA01
03-21-08, 12:01 PM
That is AWESOME!!...I wonder WHO actually set it all up, what ECU did they use etc,etc? Man I wish that setup could fit in an STS engine bay.......FWD though, gonna have trouble launching with that kind of torque, theres more there than 99Marksts's .......

The used a Halltech standalone for the engine management. Ditched the MAF and went with a speed density setup. I am curious to see what he did to keep from lifting the heads under 12lbs.

Alot of nice custom work there. Though to be frank, that guy's never going to get $18k for it.

Submariner409
03-21-08, 12:04 PM
From the description, some engine machinist is very, very good at modifying available parts to fit (relative term) into a N*. ......and it also says a lot of the parts are one-off. Wild idea, though. Wonder how long a 4T80E would last ? (As I keep posting, this type of work isn't available over the counter.)

thewireman*
03-21-08, 12:59 PM
4T80E? I though he has M-27 Getrag transmission?

thewireman*
03-21-08, 01:01 PM
Alot of nice custom work there. Though to be frank, that guy's never going to get $18k for it.

I think he will....maybe more. This is very nice custom work...for Northstar!

NHRATA01
03-21-08, 05:12 PM
I think he will....maybe more. This is very nice custom work...for Northstar!

Custom cars never fetch near the amount of money put into them. And very few people want someone else's project (because then you have to figure out how to fix it when it breaks!). Unless he gets lucky and finds a rich guy who really likes Grand Prix's. Even a GP enthusiast would be hard pressed to dump that kind of money on it for the performance. You can get near that power out of a modded 3800 SC as is, and even more with a turbo setup swiping some GN parts.

Personally I don't think I could part with a project car if I built something like that. Too much time, money, blood, sweat and tears to watch someone walk away with it.

Submariner409
03-21-08, 09:30 PM
wireman.......post #6......If someone takes the bait and attempts to do something even close in a FWD Seville/Deville.........

CadillacSTS42005
03-21-08, 09:39 PM
or Eldo/Allante lol

codewize
03-21-08, 10:06 PM
No one ever said you couldn't mod a N*. Cadillac HotRod Fabricators does it every day.

It costs a LOT of money and it'll never run in the car it came from. It will also require a totally custom engine control system. Not the N* PCM

AJxtcman
03-21-08, 10:14 PM
A month or two ago I was head home for lunch. The time clock is near the parts counter. A customer was purchasing a P/S pump pulley for a Northstar in a Grand Prix. I did not stop to talk.
When I got back to work the parts guy told me that a tech from the dealership next door was in buying a P/S pump pulley for a Grand Prix with a Northstar. Hmmmm

I did some searching on the web. Nothing came up. I stopped by the dealer next door to pick up two TimeSerts last week, but I forgot to ask about the Grand Prix. The Pontiac dealer next door was a big investor with Shelby and the Series I project. The owner has many Corvette's. You just never know.

AJxtcman
03-21-08, 10:21 PM
No one ever said you couldn't mod a N*. Cadillac HotRod Fabricators does it every day.

It costs a LOT of money and it'll never run in the car it came from. It will also require a totally custom engine control system. Not the N* PCM

Just wait for the video that I am posting. :yup:

You will see a 03 DHS smoke the tires. You will see so much torque steer from this 03 DHS PCM. You will see no lights or messages on! This car does not have Nitrous yet. We had to put a set of 245 18" tires on it and they still roll the smoke off them.

Bad news guy's I will be done with tuning until I am in North Carolina. I have to finish my house.:crying: I hope to be moved in by September

Jodie is leaving at the end of this month. :crying:

CadillacSTS42005
03-21-08, 10:29 PM
wow
that sucks

AlBundy
03-21-08, 10:40 PM
Can't wait to see this video.

msta293412
03-22-08, 08:57 PM
I guess , when all said and done....I like Mark99sts's set up better, because its actually in a Cadillac. And He is estimated at 600hp to the crank.....so Mark gets the nod from me.