: is it the head or intake manifold gasket?

hatinyet
03-20-08, 01:40 PM
i have a 2000 dts thats overheating....i changed changed the water pump and thermostat to then dye test and find out exaust gases are leaking into the anti freeze i took it to 2 different shops and they are both like it could be the head but they werent not sure they were basing the answer on the fact of the known problems of nothstar motors....i have no other signs of the head gasket problems most people post about

tateos
03-20-08, 02:44 PM
I think you are saying that you have exhaust gases in the coolant, right? I think the head gaskets would be suspect, but I guess it might be possible for exhaust gases to enter from the coolant crossover? My '97 does have the EGR passing through the crossover - not sure if that changed in 2000. The overheating that occurs when head gaskets blow is primarily caused by the fact that the exhaust gases displace and force out the coolant out the surge tank, and so with no coolant, there is no cooling, and the engine overheats

tateos
03-20-08, 02:46 PM
Oh - by the way, there is no coolant that passes through the intake manifold - at least not on a '97. There is a connection through the throttle body

hatinyet
03-20-08, 02:53 PM
i had a code for the egr valve not to long ago but it went away..... if that was bad would it cause it to overheat or the cooling crossover im not losing any coolant at all but it air is getting the system

Ranger
03-20-08, 06:30 PM
If the gas test was positive, your head gaskets are leaking. Since you are not overheating or loosing coolant. It is likely in the early stages.

zonie77
03-20-08, 09:02 PM
There is no coolant in the intake manifold. The heads on Northstars are excellent and rarely crack or warp. It is most probably a head gasket leak.

If you are lucky you will find a mechanic who has done it before and can do a good job. It is not rocket science but it is a long job.

zonie77
03-20-08, 09:03 PM
You didn't even put a location in. Maybe someone can recommend a shop.

hatinyet
03-21-08, 08:46 AM
it was overheating but, i did the water pump over for the second time in a week and its not overheating at the moment .....

zonie77
03-21-08, 06:39 PM
If it goes low on coolant is a week or two have the exhaust gas test done. Do not do it immediately after adding coolant. You have to drive it awhile to get the gases mixed in the coolant.