: What will I miss about my '05 ESV, what will I like or dislike about an '08 ESV?

surburban99
03-20-08, 08:53 AM
Hello,

Thinking about moving up from my current 2005 ESV to an 2008 ESV. For those who have done the same, would you tell me what you miss about the old body style Escalade?

What will I like or dislike about the new body style 2007 and up Escalade?

This would be for both interior and exterior features.

Thanks!! :D

TSS
03-20-08, 09:16 AM
Like: POWER!!!!!

hcvone
03-20-08, 09:29 AM
You will miss the seats of the 02's to 06's, the new seat sucks, if you are "lucky" you will not get the wind noise due to the poor weatherstripping/design. With your 08' you will love the power and better handling, the looks and the dash, you will miss your oil pressure gauge too, I guess that GM thinks we did not need it, better sound system too in the new trucks.

TSS
03-20-08, 11:48 AM
More likes: power liftgate; cooled front seats; heated steering wheel; heated washer fluid; (don't know if 02-06 had TC or ESC, but 07+ has both); 6 speed tranny; if no wind noise issues - then quieter; smoother ride

Dislikes: flimsy armrest in front; no instant MPG DIC function (just average MPG function); only one trip odometer; 02-06 look better IMO

scottlma
03-20-08, 09:54 PM
I just traded my 05 for an 08 (not an ESV or EXT - what do people call the regular one here ???).

08 Dislikes:
- gear ratio (even with 50 more ponies, 05 pushed me back in seat more when stomped on)
- guage cluster (i liked the sporty analog guages)
- narrow seats (but it is an excuse to loose some weight in myt a$$...)
- 2nd row seat hinges (seriously compromises cargo space options)
- a little too much chrome
- less storage (cant even fit the manual in the glovebox)

08 likes:
- exhaust note
- heated steering wheel (it gets cold up here in New England)
- heated wiper fluid (realloy cold)
- a/c seats (it does eventually get warm here, right ?)
- factory remote start
- factory 22's (agressive without being too flashy)
- power rear hatch
- better navigation
- tow hitch cover panel

I might have liked my 05 a little better overall, but the lease and the warranty was up, so time for a new toy.
I looked at Range Rover, x5, cayanne S, GL450 - new Escalade still my vote for most fun and versitle.

Dif
03-20-08, 10:44 PM
I went from an 04 EXT to the 07 EXT.
I liked my 04 but like everything a lot better in the 07 except the seats.
I do like the extra firmness on a long trip.
But my complaint with the seats is they're too flat, too narrow and no Lateral support.
Funny because the guy at GM who designed the interior was featured in our local newspaper article one day talking about the Escalade.
Turns out he's from the city next to me and his reasoning for the seats being narrow was to give the interior a roomier feel/look.
Bad move in my opinion.
The only thing better is more room to put your hand beside the seat to adjust it, or get something from the door storage bin.
Bottom line for me is there's a big difference for the better with the new style/design. Especially all the mechanical aspects.

TSS
03-21-08, 08:45 AM
I just traded my 05 for an 08 (not an ESV or EXT - what do people call the regular one here ???).

08 Dislikes:
- gear ratio (even with 50 more ponies, 05 pushed me back in seat more when stomped on)

This comment surprised me. Not splitting hairs, but it is a 58 pony difference and reported 0-60 times posted by testers/magazines suggest the 07+ is significantly faster than the 02-06. By seat of the pants, the 07 feels a lot gutsier to me than the 02-06 (never owned one, but driven several).

Perhaps your 08 is still breaking in OR you had an unusually fast 05 OR you have a slow 08.

Oh yeah, if not an ESV or EXT, we call it a "Regular" or "Base" Escalade.

scottlma
03-21-08, 01:11 PM
This comment surprised me. Not splitting hairs, but it is a 58 pony difference and reported 0-60 times posted by testers/magazines suggest the 07+ is significantly faster than the 02-06. By seat of the pants, the 07 feels a lot gutsier to me than the 02-06 (never owned one, but driven several).

Perhaps your 08 is still breaking in OR you had an unusually fast 05 OR you have a slow 08.

Oh yeah, if not an ESV or EXT, we call it a "Regular" or "Base" Escalade.

Thanks for the clarrification TSS - Regular/Base makes sense to me, but i bet the guys over in Caddyland at GM would cringe at that ;)

I should have clarrified the pickup-comment: there are situations (such as from a standing start) that my 08 feels better then the 05. But from highway onramps, the 05 was a rocket. Thats why i suspect its a gearing/shift pattern thing. You may be right about break-in though, i've only put about 400 miles on the 08 so far.

TSS
03-21-08, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the clarrification TSS - Regular/Base makes sense to me, but i bet the guys over in Caddyland at GM would cringe at that ;)

I should have clarrified the pickup-comment: there are situations (such as from a standing start) that my 08 feels better then the 05. But from highway onramps, the 05 was a rocket. Thats why i suspect its a gearing/shift pattern thing. You may be right about break-in though, i've only put about 400 miles on the 08 so far.

LOL, it does seem strange to call any Lade "base".

I found my 07 got quicker with a few miles on it. I presently have 7500 miles on the odometer. Also, consider investing in a Diablo Predator handheld tuner (about 300 bucks). It quickened up my Lade , but more important to you, I think it improved the shift pattern downshifts and throttle response. If you do a forum seach, you will find many comments. I would say that 90%+ of those who have one, swear by them. The power is certainly there, is just needs to be delivered when you need it. I find is is available more when I want it (ie. onramps) with the performance tune. Very easy to use, very easy to return the truck to stock if needed.

jason1214
03-21-08, 02:21 PM
I have '08 EXT with the following dislikes.
Seat wont go lower, and with the sunroof, head touches ceiling as I am 6-3.
Bad reflection from chrome strip on lower portion of dashboard.
Right knee area has very little room and rubs console.
No oil or voltage gauge anymore.
Seats are inferior to the '05 Ext.
No halogen interior lights.....No LED taillights.....
No glove box light that even my old '89 Dodge truck has.
A pointless tiny analog clock that at night you really have no idea what hour it is displaying.
That's my list for now......but stay tuned....

07slade
03-24-08, 07:12 PM
Dislikes

Seats
Stabilitrack cuts in too early
No Bluetooth

Massive power
authority on the road
safety

hcvone
03-25-08, 08:04 AM

That shocks me too, my neighbor has an 05' and I beat him by at least 5 truck lenghts 0-60, the newer trucks are so smooth some times you think it's slower. With my 07's I can do 65 up my driveway, my 03' could only do 55, yea it's a pretty long driveway. ;)

caddycruiser
03-26-08, 02:09 PM
That shocks me too, my neighbor has an 05' and I beat him by at least 5 truck lenghts 0-60, the newer trucks are so smooth some times you think it's slower. With my 07's I can do 65 up my driveway, my 03' could only do 55, yea it's a pretty long driveway. ;)

YES, I think you hit the nail on the head--this is common with all vehicles in general, not just the Escalade. Often, even when there's more power and the vehicle is faster, if it's been made more solid, smoother, and quieter (all of which the Escalade has), it very often FEELS slower just because you're more insulated from the raucousness of before. Very common.

We no longer have a truck, but after an '02 and '04 and several tests of '07s and '08s, I pretty much echo what others have.

Up:
-More solid, quiet, smoother, and with much better fit & finish and materials. Basically, feels and looks more worth the pricetag than before, when they were still too "Chevy", IMHO (not something to scoff at, but still). Also, I like the looks more, and the drivetrain is considerably more powerful and refined. Several new and better features as well, with the power liftgate, seats, Nav, etc.

Down (slightly):
-I think the new seats are great, but still, back to back with old, the larger ones with armrests still are more enveloping and comfy overall. Then in the middle, the fold and tumble is a good idea for more space to climb behind and also just cool with the power, BUT that makes the space odd and takes up length as far as the cargo area vs. the fold flat seats of before. And, of course, the still terrible 3rd row that must be lifted out and, in the case of the regular model, isn't inhabitable for humans. Also, of course, not worse than before but still lacking Bluetooth, a proper power tilt & telescoping wheel, keyless ignition, etc.

Overall, great improvements throughout, as long as the seats are to your liking (really, still great) and you don't mind the still lack of some luxury features that should have been there years ago.

nicolaasdb
03-28-08, 12:45 AM
dislikes 08 (never owned a cadillac before, coming from an BMW X5) : the car trembles..like you are driving on a bad road. Car smells...like new, but not like leather...just glue and plastic parts. Drives seat doesn't go down far enough....rear windows don't open all the way....doesn't have rear wheel independent suspension.... and the windows don't close without holding the button!!!.....wood inlayed steering wheel (HATE IT!, but it looks good)...not enough storage space (where do I store the headsets and remote??)

Likes: love the remote start, it cools the interior before I get in......power lift gate.....super nav system......look of the car.....cooled seats (it gets hot in Socal).....sound system is great.....handling is amazing for such a big heavy car!! (almost as good as my X5 and that is super considering that the escalade is much bigger and heavier).....power and sound (love it !!).......like the interior design (dashboard look great) especially compared to his (other 2 non identical triplets: yukon and tahoe)......size of "trunk" is pretty nice as well.

I am happy with my purchase...just hope that the plastic parts in the interior don't start making noise after a few thousand miles!!

xmanpro
03-28-08, 07:01 PM
it will make noise after a while... cheap plastic sucks even if it is new...

i wish the 3rd row would fold down flat but we got that whack suspension.... 2nd rate SUV

hcvone
03-29-08, 09:16 AM
it will make noise after a while... cheap plastic sucks even if it is new...

i wish the 3rd row would fold down flat but we got that whack suspension.... 2nd rate SUV

What would a 1st rate SUV be?

xmanpro
03-29-08, 02:14 PM
it would have independent rear suspension, fold down 3rd row seats and better than tahoe interior materials... Dont get me wrong I LOVE my escalade but I'm just being real when I say there's a bunch of stuff that the escalade can improve on... especially stuff that's already common with other Lux SUVs.

TSS
03-29-08, 02:23 PM
Dont get me wrong I LOVE my escalade UVs.

I can't imagine what your your posts would be if you did not LOVE it. You have to admit, your posts, all of them, do not sound like they were written from the hand of a man that LOVES his Escalade. I guess we all show our love in different ways. :hmm:

p.s. I am assuming you are a man from your screen name. If you are not a man, kindly replace "man" with "woman" and "his" with "her".