Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  bigslickdaddy 
#1 ·
I ended up getting in some smashing new seats for my 89 Brougham. The donor car belonged to some big wig in Missouri, it seems like he drove it into a wall, but the inside was immaculate, so I jumped on them after seeing a picture online.

Has anyone ever taken the seats out? How much of a pain is it? A royal pain? I sort of want to know how long to put aside to do this, seeing as how my car will be undriveable while I'm doing so, mainly because it will have no front seats.

I'll take some pictures of the old ones before I take them out, so you can all see the amazing transformation.

#2 ·
Its really not bad.
Put both seats all the way forward or back. Take the mount covers off via philips screwdriver.
You have 2 front mounts on each front seat, with one 13? mm bolt on each. 2 in the back also with 2 bolts on each. Same size as the fronts. So there are 6 bolts on each seat. Unbolt, tilt to unplug the wires and BAM

When you put them back in the front dont forget the seat belts, you dont want them jambed under the seats.

Rear seats...
Bottom cushion first, push backwards with pressure on each side to un hook, and lifts right out.
The rear cushion is 2 torx bolts on each bottom corner, around the seat belt retractors on the bottom. Then lift upwards.

Again dont forget to get the seatbelts out when you put the rears back in.

Shouldnt take more then a hour really. I can bang a set in and out in about 15 minutes.

#5 ·
Yep, as said, seats are easy as could be.

I've done it in my '95 while stereo installing and it really is just bolts and disconnecting a plug or two underneath the fronts. The only other thing to remember is a star adapter bit (don't remember which T-xx mine was) to unbolt the seatbelt and another bolt or two. Only was an extra thing to me because I had to run out to get the bit in the middle of the disassembly;)

But simple, simple...especially if you're just replacing them with the same from another car.

#8 ·
THat's good to hear, however, I also have to swap over the old motor and tracks. I only had the cushions sent to keep shipping costs down.

Additionally, my seat motor doesn't work on the drivers seat, and it's sort of stuck all the way back. That seems like a bit of an issue. How are you supposed to get under the seat to fix a broken motor if the motor needs to be working to take the seat out?

#10 ·
THat's good to hear, however, I also have to swap over the old motor and tracks. I only had the cushions sent to keep shipping costs down.

Additionally, my seat motor doesn't work on the drivers seat, and it's sort of stuck all the way back. That seems like a bit of an issue. How are you supposed to get under the seat to fix a broken motor if the motor needs to be working to take the seat out?

Here is what i can think of, If its all the way back, raise it up in the back as far as it goes. And use a wrech (pref. Ratcheting) and take the rear 4 bolts out that way. Then repair the motor once its out.

To swap tracks and motors it will take a bit longer.

I should have some seat motors if you need one.

#11 ·
Thanks for this thread i was trying to figure out if the rear backs were held on by the hold wire like the bottom seat or if you had to take the seatbelts off. However unfortunatly my torx set doesnt have the exact bit so i have to go get another fuller set of bits so i dont strip them

#13 ·
Thanks for offering the seat motor. I'd glady buy one from you if it turns out mine is smoked. I just need to get in there and see if maybe it's a wiring issue or something. The seat is frozen all the way back and won't move in any direction, however, when I push the switch to make it go back further, i can hear the motor turn over to try and move it, but it can't because it's at the end of the track. In any other direction there's no response at all.

#14 ·
Put the front seats out of an 85 Brougham Delegance into a 1980 Pontiac Acadian. Two holes in the Caddy seat already lined up with the holes in the floor of the acadian so it was super easy to install once I removed the motors and rails from the caddy seat which was super slick to take out of the junkyard caddy. They charge the same for a seat from a caddy or a chevette so why not ride comfortably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.