: 98 STS Engine Removal

jevanof
03-19-08, 10:30 PM
I am attempting the Head Bolt fix on a 1998 STS, the engine is ready to remove and getting the exhaust bots removed was a chore, I am just wondering has anyone removed the engine from the top, I know I know, everyone says the cradle to be dropped, I am just wondering.

thanks.

Submariner409
03-20-08, 11:52 AM
One or two have done it from the top, but their wrap-up posts have universally said that is not the way to do it.

zonie77
03-20-08, 01:08 PM
Dropping the cradle looks scary but it is the easier way to do it. You lift the body off the cradle with an engine hoist and if you are only doing HG's you leave the engine on the cradle and it's better than an engine stand. Even if you are doing the block seal it's easier to separate the engine/trans with the cradle on the ground.

tateos
03-20-08, 03:36 PM
Hi Joe. submariner brings up a good point - it is possible (I guess) but even those that WERE able to remove the engine out the top had to concede that dropping the cradle is easier

jevanof
03-24-08, 03:29 PM
it is probably easier but right now its not an option, I wish it was. I remember someone saying that did it from the top without issues, I would like to find this person.

tateos
03-24-08, 05:46 PM
I really doubt anyone said there were no issues

3lacsrollin
03-24-08, 06:15 PM
I have pulled now 4 northstar engines from the top and will never drop the cradle again. I dropped the cradle the first time i did one but never again. It can be done from the top with ease and doesn't leave your car where you can't move it!

tateos
03-24-08, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the input 3lacsrollin - that's the first time I have heard that - 4 times makes you a pro

3lacsrollin
03-24-08, 10:27 PM
not a pro, just means I enjoy doing the work! Everyone is so quick to say that dropping the cradle is the only way to do it. Just trying to give some encouragement.

zonie77
03-26-08, 12:42 PM
I'm not saying it's the only way, I think it's the easier way. If moving the body is important than that can shift the decision. If I was doing many I would build a simple cradle to move the body if I had to move it.

Dropping the cradle works well but it's scary the first time. It also may be difficult with a low ceiling or limited space.

Everybody's mileage may vary

tateos
03-26-08, 01:13 PM
Personally, I never thought dropping the cradle was scary - I just initially thought it was more work. I started the project by trying to remove the engine from the top, and switched to the drop method 2/3 way through the removal process. When it came time to re-install, I came to realize how much easier, and actually LESS work dropping the cradle is.

jevanof
03-26-08, 08:14 PM
I have a guy helping me do this and he is calling the shots, our goal is to pull the engine tonight, it took alot of time disconnecting things, I think the hardest part was removing the exaust bolts

zonie77
03-26-08, 09:35 PM
Personally, I never thought dropping the cradle was scary - I just initially thought it was more work. I started the project by trying to remove the engine from the top, and switched to the drop method 2/3 way through the removal process. When it came time to re-install, I came to realize how much easier, and actually LESS work dropping the cradle is.

Well, I thought it was kinda scary! LOL!

I might have pulled it out the top but a member gave me a lot of advice and convinced me to drop it. He said raise the body with the engine hoist.. that was probably the thing that worried me the most. After doing it...no problemo!

jevanof
03-27-08, 11:32 PM
the engine is out, I guess the power steering pump got busted in the process, anyone know of a good place to get a new one?

RICOMRD
03-27-08, 11:35 PM
I just did a head gasket job on my 97 STS with out dropping the cradle. I had no choice due to space limitations. I still had to loosen the front cradle bolts and drop the cradle a few inches in the front in order to have enough space to work on the rear head. The job might have taken a little less time and easier to do if the cradle would have been dropped, but it can be done.

tateos
03-28-08, 01:35 PM
Joe - get the pump at Rock Auto - probably you just broke the reservoir, right? You can buy that separately

jevanof
03-28-08, 08:28 PM
actualy I broke just the pully

tateos
03-28-08, 08:58 PM
Even better Joe - you can buy just the pulley at GM Parts Direct:

1998 - Cadillac - Seville
Steering, P/s pump and hoses, P/s pulley, P/s pulley, seville - power - POWER $43.78 $25.95 $25.95

Or Rock Auto:

1998 CADILLAC SEVILLE STS 4.6L 281cid V8 MFI (9) : Steering : Power Steering Pump Pulley Print Save My Place Related Parts
Item Price Core Total Advice
DORMAN Part # 300124 More Info {OE Solutions}
16.8MM ID Shaft

$19.69 $0.00 $19.69

DORMAN Part # 300128
19mm ID Shaft
$12.29 $0.00 $12.29

Robert Long
04-13-08, 01:28 AM
Hi Everyone... This sure is a great site for folks.. We were pulling the engine out of a 97 sts .. We were going to take it out from the top and have removed just about everything needed to take off.. Should the trans stay in the cradle or should it come out with the engine.. and do we have to lower the cradle at all ..We were wondering how hard it is to pull the trans away from the engine and leaving it in there while the engine is removed from the top... It has the head gasket problem and we want to do a proper job...Thank you so much for any response......

jevanof
04-13-08, 02:48 AM
I removed it from the top, it was not that bad, take all the pullys and unbolt the motor from the trany, but make sure you look all around the motor there are about 6 mounts and brackets that hold that motor in.

Robert Long
04-13-08, 06:27 PM
HI There.. and Thank you Jevanof for your information on pulling the pulleys for clearence... I have pulled cummings , detroits ,caterpillars and built hot rods from 50's to the 70's but I have never attempted these later model automobiles ...We are in the process of removing the pulleys today and then rest..... Thanking you Jevanof and this wonderful forum....,Bob Long......